What's new

August 2022 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Still in - DFS+
2C0D2E4E-C920-42D0-90B8-81B229017B95.jpeg

Still in. Shave #8. DFS today. I’m traveling, so my gear won’t change for the rest of the month.
  • Pre-shave: Art of Shaving Unscented Pre-shave Oil
  • Brush: West Coast Shaving Tortoiseshell Torch Silvertip Badger
  • Cream: Truefitt & Hill Trafalgar (SOTM)
  • Razor: Merkur Progress (4 pass, 3-3-3-1)
  • Blade: Feather (1)
  • Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman

Psst…:pipe:skip to post 23,002 for the logical answer, but post 192 could very well be the definitive smoke screen:letterk1:

Anyway - it’s in the B&B urban dictionary by today’s standards!

Best,

Guido
I read them both, thanks. I think I might try this. Not sure waht to start with. My choices are Tabac, Cella, Arko, Sterling Glastonbury, Sterling Glacial Electric Sheep, PAA Atomic Age Bay Rum, and Chiseled Face Ghost Town barber. Glastonbury is the soap I have the least amount left of so that one would make sense.

I read them both, thanks. I think I might try this. Not sure waht to start with. My choices are Tabac, Cella, Arko, Sterling Glastonbury, Sterling Glacial Electric Sheep, PAA Atomic Age Bay Rum, and Chiseled Face Ghost Town barber. Glastonbury is the soap I have the least amount left of so that one would make sense.
Most welcome Mark - you already listed 8, so that’s easily 24-32 months of lathering pleasure :straight:

When in doubt of where to start: you have 8 soaps here. The first one you listed is 1 and so on till 8. Take your calculator app and press the RND key. First number after the digit is your soap of choice. If 9 or 0 (10) comes up just press RND one more.

Works with razor rotation and blade rotation as well…although with razors we might need a more sophisticated algorithm - because I hallucinate that 10 is a too low number for most gents on this here fine forum! And maybe for blades too - ooy who am I kidding. Anyway with 8 soaps works like a charm!

Cheers,

Guido

Agreed - start culling the herd by picking off the weakest. :D

I do a month at a time (or more) of a single soap with that same goal in mind, but because I participate in "events", like Arko August, I don't see the bottom of a tub very often. Still, I have killed a few soaps along the way...and GRUME at least gives me a chance to continually thin the herd.

I do a month at a time (or more) of a single soap with that same goal in mind, but because I participate in "events", like Arko August, I don't see the bottom of a tub very often. Still, I have killed a few soaps along the way...and GRUME at least gives me a chance to continually thin the herd.
I fully agree with the logic. Tabac will be a feat. I started with the shave stick, and loved it so I bought two tallow refill pucks. One is still in the box, but the stick and the other puck went into a large sterling empty plastic container. It's 3/4 full. Cella is another story. I bought the kilo brick. So, that could take years. I will begin with the smallest weakest soap for my first kill, much like a young lion.

Still in...
RazoRock Wunderbar
Personna Platinum (3)
Cella (kilo)
Zenith 505AK/L Manchurian

20220813.jpg

Only one temptation so far... a razor that I do not need. I've decided to wait and see if it comes up for auction during the annual Saint Sue Moore Memorial Fundraiser in October. If it doesn't, I'll purchase it directly from the vendor on the 1st of November as an early birthday present.

How can I possibly wait until November? I've already selected my razors for the rest of this month, selected the single-edge razors for SEptember, chosen open-comb razors for OCtober, and set aside my birth-quarter razors for November. So the earliest I would get a chance to use the new razor would be December. It's easy as long as I stick to the schedule. OCD to the rescue...
:cool:

Second year of Arko August and my puck went from convex to very slightly dished…

Still participating. I took the day off from cabinet painting and visited a friend from Oregon who is camping at Lake Almanor. I got back in the evening and celebrated Micromatic Monday on this, the third Monday of the week. A DFS+!
Being the third Monday of the week, and having missed the first one, I broke out a new Gem PTFE Blade for my 1912 series Gem Junior. I tried @Ron R ’s Spine Shim idea and it worked beautifully! A mild shave, but not without some small weepers. DFS+ Results!

Day 17, 54.8% complete.

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: Saponificio Varesino 70th Anniversary
Brush: Yaqi 24mm synthetic cashmere
Razor: GC.84 SB, Al Handle, Nacet Stainless #9
Bowl: Turkish copper
Post-shave: Nivea 2-in-1 Aftershave.

Still in. Killing soaps is my new mission. Will take years. Focused and determined. Might sell some soap too possibly. Have a great day.

Take courage, it can be done. My MWF refill puck, started 29th July 2021, is on the ropes. It's done about half my shaves, so hard soaps can do 6 months.

Gave myself Wednesday off from 3017ing, for a midweek SV treat. Took my time, and got a good near-BBS.

SV is the best soap I've tried so far. Is there anything that beats it for performance and non-irritation?

Top Bottom