THE LIST so far ...

newbilong - Wellington
strangehat - Wellington
Steve_N - Wellington
FrankD - Wellington
Uncle Brian - Tauranga
alishock - Auckland
kiwimike - Hamilton

You are at the bottom of the list now Mike but maybe not forever as newbilong hasn't decided who gets the box first, second ....

:)

Last edited:
THE LIST so far ...

newbilong - Wellington
strangehat - Wellington
Steve_N - Wellington
FrankD - Wellington
Uncle Brian - Tauranga
alishock - Auckland
kiwimike - Hamilton

Looks like all you Wellington guys could have a big meet up and swap stuff and stories :)

Last edited:
There is a Frank D selling a straight on trademe are you he or is Wellington a city full of traditional razor users?

Last edited:
Strangehat, you'll get the box first. Can you please pm me your phone number?

I hope everyone had a great weekend and got breakfast in bed at some point. Now back to the grindstone.

The box has landed! Kindly delivered to my door this evening by Andrew. There's a staggering amount of stuff in there - Rachel and I spread it all out and had a good sniff of just about everything. I'm going to have to work on a shortlist of things that definitely need to be tried!

It was great to meet you! Take your time with the box, and I'm looking forward to seeing some reviews of the New Zealand products. Also, I hope you find something you want to swap out, and let us know what it is and why you like it. All the best with the last few weeks before your twins are due. Andrew

Thanks, this is turning into quite an experience! One advantage of shaving my head as well is that I get an extra couple of shaves per week in, so I've really dived in with three shaves in two days.

I've been trying the American soaps first - I've liked everything so far, especially scent-wise. Although I never thought I'd come across a soap that smelled like pumpkin pie...

Last edited:
Hi Josh and welcome to the insanity that is the traveling box ... most of us spent the first couple of days wondering how we were going to sample even a fraction of the goodies it contains. having a shaved head will allow you more opportunities to sample stuff but if you decide to shave you legs as well thing have got out of hand :)

Andrew - Are we going to run with the list as is?

Once upon a time I did a lot of road cycling and had shaved legs ... now I ride a mountain bike and that sort of thing is frowned upon. If we were competitive swimmers we could shave everything and wouldn't that be fun :)

An update on my progress through the travelling box. I'm not sure the extent to which its contents are allowed to be revealed, but here's a general summary:

Unfortunately, I haven't found a kiwi soap in there yet that I've fallen in love with and am interested to hear how the others on the list get along with them. I've had a hard time getting a good lather on the coconut/palm oil blend ones which tend to end up more like foam, no matter how hard I whip them, and as a result they don't hold it together for very long once on my skin. There are still a few to go though, and on the positive side the fragrances of some of them are very pleasant (I like the spearmint smell of one of the Naturalis ones).

Most of the artisan USA soaps are much more to my liking, and typically get that desirable velvety, dense, peaky lather going in insane quantities. I've noticed that with a couple of the soaps I'll get a decent shave going but my skin feels slightly uncomfortable after for a short time (the NZ Triumph and Disaster cream did that too). I do have kind of sensitive skin though, so it doesn't surprise me that there would be a few out there that do that. A favourite soap that I'd never heard of before is the Mystic Water Brown Winsor - it makes a nice creamy lather and has a really intriguing spiced/herbal smell that I keep wanting to go back and sniff.

The highlight of the box experience for me has been trying out newbilong's Goodfella razor. It's very different to anything I've tried before; a great mix of mildness and efficiency. I've mostly used it with the suggested 7 o'clock yellow blade, which feels perfect for it. It's small size and very thin cap make it more maneuverable than my own razors (which are all also open combs), which is great around and under my chin especially, yet unlike the Fatip and R41 it doesn't ever feel like it might bite if I let my guard down. Despite its mildness in three passes it can knock down everything, and I have very coarse stubble which it just glides through. Very cool that this razor is made here in NZ, and while I've tried to slow down on buying stuff now that I have more razors than I can shave with at once, it is now definitely on my list of things to buy ASAP.

I like the Goodfella aftershave balm too - it has a nice richness to it without feeling greasy.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I tried a few NZ made soaps a few years back. I'm glad I did as you need to check out the local stuff but sadly was left very disappointed.
They got demoted to shower duty and sucked at that as well.

The Goodfella razor was on my to get list but I got bitten by the straight razor bug.
I did get some of their aftershave but I seem to be drawn to slashes more. Funny enough it says it is natural, well the sails could tell, they came in my bathroom and ate the label.

$20150913_200539.jpg

Hey guys. Id like to join in if possible... hoping Ive got enough things to add to the box! Im in New Plymouth.

THE LIST so far ...

newbilong - Wellington
strangehat - Wellington
Steve_N - Wellington
FrankD - Wellington
Uncle Brian - Tauranga
alishock - Auckland
kiwimike - Hamilton
Grue - New Plymouth

Phew! I think I've given everything in there a pretty good run. Out of the kiwi products, the other that I used a few times and liked was the Nutrimetics skincare stuff, especially the moisturising gel. The matte finish it leaves is smooth without any feeling of heaviness and was a great fit for my sometimes sensitive skin. Again, it's been great to have the opportunity to try so much stuff out!

I pulled the trigger on a Goodfella, which is being shipped today - I just couldn't resist. This one's a real winner for me, and I'm looking forward to having it in the rotation. I decided that I should let a razor go to make room for it. Into the box:

$photo 1 (2).JPG

That Pearl SSH-01 is at the opposite end of the spectrum to the Goodfella - it's a pretty aggressive razor. I find it to be very similar to my Fatip Grande in feel, so other people might as well give it a go if they're so inclined. I hope someone likes it enough to claim it. :001_smile

The blades that I've put in aren't indicative of my first choice to go in that razor by the way - I like it with Astras mostly, but the SIs are pretty good too. It's a bit much for me with Feathers.

Out of the box:

$photo 2 (2).JPG

I'm a Proraso fan. and this is the only green item in the range I'm missing. I love the menthol!

Steve_N, you're next in line! PM me and I'll make arrangements to get it to you.

Top Bottom