What's new

Any Reviews on the GC open comb ?

Update:
Head shave with the OC

I used the GC OC this morning on my head shave. Based on the experience with the face shave, it performed about as I expected. It was a very comfortable 1 pass ATG shave. I was very impressed with the fact that there was minimal clean up to do. I have three small patches on my head that are a pain in *** to shave due to hair growth direction. Two of the three were no issue and the third was reduced to a mere nuisance. I did nick myself once but it was my fault not paying attention to how I was holding the angle on the side to top of head transition. I'll know by tonight if the shave is as close as it feels freshly shaven.

I have no idea how other guys shave their heads. This I will say about both the OC and the Jaws... If you are a one pass WTG shaver, go with the Jaws (just go slow and pay attention to you angles). If you are a one pass (or multiple passes) ATG shave, go with the OC.
I agree with your evaluation.

I used the Jaws last night, to take down a thick 3" goatee..... put some jojoba oil first then whipped some KissMyFace and applied a lot.....Jaws w Gillette Super Thin.....took it down....all of it, no problem. 3 passes, well the last 2 were just to achieve BBS --- 1st pass took all hair out.. The only problem was disposing the hairs in the trash can vs the sink. It's a great razor.

I'm thinking about getting the OC plate once it is back in stock again. Judging from what I've read so far it is just a tad more aggressive than the .84 SB that I already have. Which might be too much sometimes but I still got my trusty Mamba for bad skin days anyway.

As someone who uses DEs for any hair on my body except eyebrows: how does the OC compare to the SB in terms of (not) getting clogged?

I used to GC OC on my head. I have not used the GC SB but I will tell you that the OC down't clog any more than the 20 other razors I have tried on my head, even when I'm lazy and go 4 days between shaves. A quick swish in the sink or run under a running tap, it does it's job admirably.

Blades get stuck ..... frustrating......
IMG_1059.jpg

Anyone ever used it to shave body hair (~1cm)? How does it compare to the solid bar .84? Experience tells me that SB razors don't necessarily clog faster than OC razors. It's rather the individual design.

Anyone ever used it to shave body hair (~1cm)? How does it compare to the solid bar .84? Experience tells me that SB razors don't necessarily clog faster than OC razors. It's rather the individual design.
No, indeed one of the reasons both Gillette and ASR moved away from open comb razors was because the new brushless creams of the day tended to clog OC razors. Both the Tech and Gem Clog-Pruf were packaged with brushless creams at introduction to prove the point.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I used mine, it's good but I think the difference between the SB and OC is negligible. I prefer SB's, but still this is a very good razor and probably a must have if you like OC's.

I'm on day 4 with mine and I'm on the fence. First two shaves were ok in terms of closeness and didn't get any weepers. Days 3 and 4 much closer shave but at least 3 weepers each shave, one pretty bad. Only difference was going from a Gillette Wilkinson Sword on the first two used to the GSB the last 2. And the GSB is great in the last two razors I had before this one.
I've got the .68 game changer on the way, will see how they compare.

I found the .68 to be too inefficient for me, i.e. my normal two pass shave left too much stubble behind. The .86 safety bar was much better, and it was my daily shaver for several months before I moved on to some SE razors. Recently I bought the open comb baseplate, and for me it's the best of the three. All of them are a joy to use, as they are very smooth and wonderfully maneuverable. The only reason I haven't been using it much is that I have found it very difficult not to use my new Muhle Rocca. It's both more efficient and more aggressive than the GC open comb, but the aggressiveness stays under control as long as I pay a bit of attention, and it gives me the closest shaves of any razor I've owned.

I have been using the JAWS daily now for 2 months. Well... I did travel and used a different razor for 4 days and did try the OC for a few shaves in there too. I don't travel with my good razors for fear some over zealous TSA agent might decide to confiscate it. I have also used the OC plate several times on my head. After trying a bunch of different things here's what I have learned...

I L-O-V-E the JAWS head. It delivers the best shave of any safety razor I have ever used. Two passes and I'm good for work. Two passes, a third "modified" pass, and clean up and I'm ready for a night out or in bed :devil2:. When I shave for work, I get no irritation at all. When I'm shaving to BBS, the irritation goes away very quickly. I think some of that is because of the blade but more on that in a bit. I have cut myself one time only and it was my fault, not paying attention to the point of my chin. I have had less than a hand full of weepers on my neck as well.

I have almost no use for the OC head. It doesn't shave close enough and in order to get a DFS for work, I have to take way too many passes. I get a lot of irritation with this head due to the number of passes. I have tried for 2 months to use this on my head. I'm just not doing it any more. It is a vicious plate on all the curves of my head. I cut myself more with this plate than any other razor I have ever used. I have been shaving my head for 17 years now and believe me, this is not the razor for my head. (Indecently, the JAWS didn't work either.) I am waiting for the SB plate to come back into stock and I will pony up the $$$ and give it a try, but until then, I'm going back to my Rockwell on my head.

Blades... The most interesting thing for me has been my blade choice. I use Pol Silvers forever and about a year ago I tried (and fell in love with) Astra SP's. I had yet to meet a razor that the Astra didn't perform outstanding in until the JAWS and the OC. I tried a couple Gillette's and Persona's and Pol Silver and a couple Rapira's but nothing worked really well. Then I decided to give the Feather's a try in the JAWS. I had never even liked a shave with Feather's before I tried it in the JAWS and I have to say, they were made for each other. Smooth smooth smooth baby! The shaves are effortless and damn comfortable. So I'm thinking, maybe the razor needs an extra sharp blade to perform. I have a handful of packs of Kai's laying around maybe I can finally used those vicious beasts. NOPE! Horrible shave! I ended up ordering 100 Feather blades and to think, in all my years, never even finished off one 10 pack. A side note about the Feather's. I still only get 3 shaves before it starts to pull ( two face and one head).

I look forward to trying the SB. I have little use for the OC at this point. It is not efficient enough for a good DFS shave and it is just too aggressive for (or the angle is not able to be manipulated efficiently) my head.

I have found the Feather works great in the Jaws as well. Like you, I get 3 shaves out of the Feather. The Astra SPs work well for me as well and I can use them all week, 6 shaves. I will be trying some more blades but I am very pleased with Jaws. Great razor.

I have been using the JAWS daily now for 2 months. Well... I did travel and used a different razor for 4 days and did try the OC for a few shaves in there too. I don't travel with my good razors for fear some over zealous TSA agent might decide to confiscate it. I have also used the OC plate several times on my head. After trying a bunch of different things here's what I have learned...

I L-O-V-E the JAWS head. It delivers the best shave of any safety razor I have ever used. Two passes and I'm good for work. Two passes, a third "modified" pass, and clean up and I'm ready for a night out or in bed :devil2:. When I shave for work, I get no irritation at all. When I'm shaving to BBS, the irritation goes away very quickly. I think some of that is because of the blade but more on that in a bit. I have cut myself one time only and it was my fault, not paying attention to the point of my chin. I have had less than a hand full of weepers on my neck as well.

I have almost no use for the OC head. It doesn't shave close enough and in order to get a DFS for work, I have to take way too many passes. I get a lot of irritation with this head due to the number of passes. I have tried for 2 months to use this on my head. I'm just not doing it any more. It is a vicious plate on all the curves of my head. I cut myself more with this plate than any other razor I have ever used. I have been shaving my head for 17 years now and believe me, this is not the razor for my head. (Indecently, the JAWS didn't work either.) I am waiting for the SB plate to come back into stock and I will pony up the $$$ and give it a try, but until then, I'm going back to my Rockwell on my head.

Blades... The most interesting thing for me has been my blade choice. I use Pol Silvers forever and about a year ago I tried (and fell in love with) Astra SP's. I had yet to meet a razor that the Astra didn't perform outstanding in until the JAWS and the OC. I tried a couple Gillette's and Persona's and Pol Silver and a couple Rapira's but nothing worked really well. Then I decided to give the Feather's a try in the JAWS. I had never even liked a shave with Feather's before I tried it in the JAWS and I have to say, they were made for each other. Smooth smooth smooth baby! The shaves are effortless and damn comfortable. So I'm thinking, maybe the razor needs an extra sharp blade to perform. I have a handful of packs of Kai's laying around maybe I can finally used those vicious beasts. NOPE! Horrible shave! I ended up ordering 100 Feather blades and to think, in all my years, never even finished off one 10 pack. A side note about the Feather's. I still only get 3 shaves before it starts to pull ( two face and one head).

I look forward to trying the SB. I have little use for the OC at this point. It is not efficient enough for a good DFS shave and it is just too aggressive for (or the angle is not able to be manipulated efficiently) my head.

Interesting. I prefer the OC, although only slightly. To me, they both shave very similarly, although the I find the OC to be smoother.

I have used these 2 and the Lupo for face and head for some time. Tried Gillette blades, UTSA, Crystal and a Shark. I get good shaves with all of them and rank them: OC, Lupo and Jaws. Haven't cut myself yet, and do get some irritation , mostly with the Lupo. I have to admit, for my head-shaves nothing comes close to Karve OC "C" w 4" handle and for the face....I think all are equal....including Vintage Gillettes, FAtip, R41 and probably the favs are Schick injectors......

I'm eagerly anticipating the day RR restocks the OC. I want it with the HD handle as it's 85mm, which is my preferred handle length. And this could very well be the last razor I buy. If it becomes my daily go to razor, I'd buy a second one as a backup. Watching the Italian Barber site pretty much daily.

Top Bottom