What's new

Any Reviews on the GC open comb ?

My three GC .84s:
7AFDE534-AF35-4DC9-8C4D-027DCF463F2F.jpeg

I plan on doing a shave comparison between the Jaws and the regular OC later tonight.

watching this topic and the JAWS topic with interest. I got a chance to try the game changer 0.84 a while back, and while i was impressed with how smooth this razor was, it just wasnt efficient enough for me and have since got a SS 0.95 Timeless SB and the Muhle R41. I like both these razors but maybe the R41 a tad more.

I really like the look / feel of the 0.84 GC and will be getting me the OC or the JAWS, just need to decide which to go for..

OK. Here are my PRELIMINARY thoughts after the shave off tonight. Before I get into the details, I will say that I think both of these are great razors. I have been a fan of the GC .84 SB for a while, which is an excellent daily driver. The JAWS and the OC both met my expectations for being slightly more efficient and blade forward than the original.

Now on to the details. The JAWS was on the Super Knurl handle and the OC was on the Bulldog handle. I loaded them each with an Astra SP blade, which is my benchmark blade. I showered before the shave, washing my face with Yardley Lavender soap. I applied Floid preshave and glycerine on my wet face. I applied RazoRock Santa Maria del Fiore soap with a slightly damp Simpson Duke 3 Best Badger brush. I had just returned from vacation, and it had been approximately 36 hours since my last shave.

I completed a three-pass shave—with the OC on the right side of my face and the JAWS on the left. I’m not going to do a blow by blow, but here are my general impressions. During the shave, I generally felt as if I preferred the OC slightly. It felt smoother and similar to the other OCs I’m familiar with and like. When I finished the second pass, however, I ran my hand over my face, and the left side (the JAWS side) definitely felt a little smoother.

When I finished up with the third pass, both sides were very smooth, but I still detect some very, very slight stubble when I ran my hand aggressively against the grain on the right side.

I’m not ready to declare a winner, and I like these both very much, but the JAWS definitely impressed me tonight. It’s probably not going to win any beauty contests, but I think RazoRock has come up with a very innovative design. I’m going to spend a lot of time with these three versions across the next few weeks to get to know them better.

Last edited:
Alrighty boys... My Jaws came yesterday afternoon. I was pretty excited to get my hands on this razor. Once I opened it though, excitement gave way some and fear started creep in. I'm not an evening shaver so I knew I would have to wait until morning, but I did load a blade into it along with my Karve OC with an E plate and my Muhle R41. Before anyone says anything, I have changed out the handle on my R41. BTW... I really think that Rockwell makes the finest handle out there. The first thing I noticed was the handle on the Jaws and realized that, while the super knurl handle would not have been my first choice, I was damn impressed. I was a little comforted knowing I was going to get very good purchase with this handle. I would by a razor with this handle any day and yes, it was as good as my usual Rockwell SS handle that floats around from razor head to razor head. Here is what I saw...
All pics are L - R: Jaws, Karve, and R41

View attachment 1000788

I was pretty concerned about the blade exposure. To my "knowledge" I had never used a DE razor with this much blade before.

View attachment 1000789

View attachment 1000790

View attachment 1000791

I really had to psych myself up to try this beast (I think Bruce would have been proud to have this razor named after him). So after my cup of coffee and a walk with the dog, in I went. I left the styptic in the drawer though, I didn't want to jinx myself. I will say that I know where in the drawer it is and that pic was in my mind's eye during the entire shave.
I decided to only do a single pass with clean up today. I typically shave for a DFS but occasionally go for the BBS. Today I wan't to feel what this could get with only a single pass. I have found that what works for me is an aggressive razor with a milder blade. As soon as I have to start dragging a blade multiple times across my face to get a decent shave, my face gets pretty irritated. I have found that the Astra SP blade is my go to blade, tried may times and trusted to perform. (I do use others and will eventually try several different blades in this razor.)
Face/beard prep done, soap ready, razor warmed, and one last mental image of where the styptic pencil was and off I went.
First thing I noticed was the angle on this razor was much more upright for me. I was taken a little off guard by that but realized how much I enjoyed that. By the time I had finished my first cheek I realized how much I was enjoying this beauty! Damn efficient, smooth, and requiring noticeably little effort on my part. I was very concerned about the area directly under my nostrils. If I'm going to get a nasty cut, it's going to be there. No problem handling the nostril to lip transition area! I do have a few trouble spots on my face (as most of us do) and this razor still struggled in those areas, BUT for a single pass WTG shave, the Jaws did a respectable job on them. All in all, it was a very nice shave.
Some things I noticed... I usually have enough residual soap on my face to do a water only clean up pass but this time there was a lot less slickness with just the water pass. I went easy with the clean up rather than reapply soap. I really wanted to know how a one pass shave was going to hold up. I had zero irritation with this shave, I mean ZERO! This was very surprising to me. The third thing I noticed is how dry my face feels. I always apply a shave balm after shaving, but my face still feels pretty dry, almost chapped. I'm going to have to keep an eye on this.
One thing I did not like... This is probably preference on my part and I'll explain why I don't like it. The posts that secure the blade in position are on the plate and not the top cap.

View attachment 1000795

View attachment 1000796

In the rinsing and cleaning of the razor on the days where I am not swapping blades, I do not take the razor apart to clean it. This design allow the top cap, plate, and blade to all spin independently. Considering it's a BLADE and my hands are wet and there is still soap everywhere at this point, I like it when the entire razor head separates to allow water to liberally pass through as a complete unit a time when it's a little safer to handle a BLADE. Just my personal preference.
Overall the razor is pleasant to use, the handle provides outstanding purchase and is finely crafted. Considering the stupid amount of money I have spent over the years this is one of my best purchases. Oh and one more thing... This razor looks like it should be in a horror movie! That's a plus in my book!

Update:
This morning I did my regular going to work DFS shave. That shave consists of 1 pass WTG and a second pass from my jaw line up XTG and jawline down ATG. (Plus a clean up pass.) I was a little hesitant going at my neck area ATG but I was very surprised at how well the razor handled itself. I got a small step above a DFS with almost no irritation. I did notice this shave with Jaws that if I got lazy and dropped the angle of the razor, I felt some tugging and scrapping. Once I returned to a more upright angle, all went smoothly (pun intended). Day 2 and still pretty impressed.

I used the GC OC today for a head shave. #1 it has NO overhang (no need to worry about ears)+++. Put a Nacet and used RR Santa Maria. It was a very smooth shave; it might have dethroned my previous fav. Karve....
RR GC OC is an outstanding razor for headshaving, it is efficient, but that is how I like them. No cuts no irritation, just a pleasure.....

Update:
This morning I did my regular going to work DFS shave. That shave consists of 1 pass WTG and a second pass from my jaw line up XTG and jawline down ATG. (Plus a clean up pass.) I was a little hesitant going at my neck area ATG but I was very surprised at how well the razor handled itself. I got a small step above a DFS with almost no irritation. I did notice this shave with Jaws that if I got lazy and dropped the angle of the razor, I felt some tugging and scrapping. Once I returned to a more upright angle, all went smoothly (pun intended). Day 2 and still pretty impressed.

Another update:
Day three with JAWS. Last night before bed I did notice that my beard was not as heavy as usual. I thought that was kind of neat.

Another "work" DFS shave this morning. This morning I will say that my face is more irritated than yesterday. I can't help but think that due to the amount soap this razor removes that the lubrication isn't good. Regardless, another outstanding DFS shave this morning. It really is a step above a DFS shave for me. This is a remarkably efficient razor.

I decided to give it a whirl on my head shave this morning. I was not impressed here. I did not get a better shave with this razor than I do with my Rockwell. What I did get was a considerable amount of irritation though. I only do one pass on my head and it is always one ATG pass. I got two weepers but I will chalk that up to my unfamiliarity with the angle of the new razor. I will not use this again on my head again for a while, if at all.

Another update:
Day three with JAWS. Last night before bed I did notice that my beard was not as heavy as usual. I thought that was kind of neat.

Another "work" DFS shave this morning. This morning I will say that my face is more irritated than yesterday. I can't help but think that due to the amount soap this razor removes that the lubrication isn't good. Regardless, another outstanding DFS shave this morning. It really is a step above a DFS shave for me. This is a remarkably efficient razor.

I decided to give it a whirl on my head shave this morning. I was not impressed here. I did not get a better shave with this razor than I do with my Rockwell. What I did get was a considerable amount of irritation though. I only do one pass on my head and it is always one ATG pass. I got two weepers but I will chalk that up to my unfamiliarity with the angle of the new razor. I will not use this again on my head again for a while, if at all.
I may tray that Lupo with a SS handle for head shave? The GC OC is really good for head shave (use whichever blade you favor). Cheers mate

I have had both now almost a week and reach for the oc more than the jaws. I shave everyday, usually twice a day. I’ve been using arko and nacet blades. The shaves are both comfortable but the oc is just a little less aggressive which is nice when I’m shaving in the morning. The jaws has been fun to shave with at night when I get to be more relaxed and enjoy the time spent shaving. I’ve also felt considerably more smooth when I go to shave in the morning about 10-12 hours later when using the jaws. I would be happy with either of them but it is nice to have both :euro: I have been thinking about trying the safety bar 84 but not sure if I really would need it at this point

I was tempted to pick up the GC OC but it's only on the Ti handle..

I'll just wait for a different configuration.

IMG_20190724_225435.jpg
Another good headshave. Will switch this to face and Lupo to head nxt time....thoug Lupo seems to be a bit rough and I don't know if it's due to it being light....i already put a heavy SS handle....

Another update:

Another Update:

I received an OC plate to add to my Jaws setup. I was "pushed" into this for my head shaves ;) . My head doesn't need to be shaved until tomorrow but I decided to use this on my face first. Here's some info and opinions to read...

I have fallen in l-o-v-e with the Jaws. All my other razors at this point have boxed up and put away. The Jaws is the first razor that I can comfortably use a Feather blade in (still haven't gone back and tried the Kai yet). I have found though that the Astra SP provides a closer shave.

I'm sure that I am not unique when it comes to my beard. I have some spots that require a skilled ninja with a Katana sword to effectively remove the stubble and other spots that feel like I first started shaving them 3 days ago (not the 45 years ago in reality). In a perfect world I want a razor that is aggressive enough to knock the stubble on the sensitive areas of my face to BBS in 1 pass and then knock down the dense Pacific Northwest forest that grows in the other areas of my face in 2 passes plus 1 ATG pass. The Jaws is as close as I've come to a razor that accomplishes this. I do get some irritation in a few certain spots on my neck with the ATG pass with the Jaws.

So I loaded up the GC OC with an Astra SP and had at my morning face shave. The first thing I noticed was the angle that I held the razor at was more in line with other razors and different than the Jaws. This really made no difference in the shave, just something I noticed. The OC was smooth. I was able to get through my first pass lickity split BUT the shave was not as close as I like. I re-lathered and had at my 2nd pass (Cheeks, chin, mustache XTG and neck and jaw line ATG). The ATG pass was OK. The neck was BBS with no irritation but my jaw line required a third ATG pass plus a water only clean up. I was not impressed with how this razor handled that area at all. My cheeks and chin fared well with a couple XTG passes (good enough for a DFS work shave). My mustache area has dense whiskers that sit on top of sissy skin. It is the hardest area for me to get a close (as close as I like it to be) irritation free shave. The GC OC did a pretty decent job but the Jaws was even better. The Jaws only needed two WTG passes to get a DFS shave there and the OC needed one WTG pass and a second XTG and a water only clean up. Maybe a different blade will make a difference with the OC. Time will tell as I'm sure I'll play around with it.

In my opinion, the Jaws clearly wins. I think the OC will have a definite place in my face shaves though. There are weekend mornings where all I do is a single WTG pass to keep me from looking clean and the OC would do that nicely with even less irritation than the Jaws.

I'll let you all know how the head shave goes with the OC.

I used Jaws for "quick" head shave....it was OK.

Been experimenting GC , Lupo and now Jaws.... face and head

Will give an opinion tonight as I will have more time.

Another Update:

I received an OC plate to add to my Jaws setup. I was "pushed" into this for my head shaves ;) . My head doesn't need to be shaved until tomorrow but I decided to use this on my face first. Here's some info and opinions to read...

I have fallen in l-o-v-e with the Jaws. All my other razors at this point have boxed up and put away. The Jaws is the first razor that I can comfortably use a Feather blade in (still haven't gone back and tried the Kai yet). I have found though that the Astra SP provides a closer shave.

I'm sure that I am not unique when it comes to my beard. I have some spots that require a skilled ninja with a Katana sword to effectively remove the stubble and other spots that feel like I first started shaving them 3 days ago (not the 45 years ago in reality). In a perfect world I want a razor that is aggressive enough to knock the stubble on the sensitive areas of my face to BBS in 1 pass and then knock down the dense Pacific Northwest forest that grows in the other areas of my face in 2 passes plus 1 ATG pass. The Jaws is as close as I've come to a razor that accomplishes this. I do get some irritation in a few certain spots on my neck with the ATG pass with the Jaws.

So I loaded up the GC OC with an Astra SP and had at my morning face shave. The first thing I noticed was the angle that I held the razor at was more in line with other razors and different than the Jaws. This really made no difference in the shave, just something I noticed. The OC was smooth. I was able to get through my first pass lickity split BUT the shave was not as close as I like. I re-lathered and had at my 2nd pass (Cheeks, chin, mustache XTG and neck and jaw line ATG). The ATG pass was OK. The neck was BBS with no irritation but my jaw line required a third ATG pass plus a water only clean up. I was not impressed with how this razor handled that area at all. My cheeks and chin fared well with a couple XTG passes (good enough for a DFS work shave). My mustache area has dense whiskers that sit on top of sissy skin. It is the hardest area for me to get a close (as close as I like it to be) irritation free shave. The GC OC did a pretty decent job but the Jaws was even better. The Jaws only needed two WTG passes to get a DFS shave there and the OC needed one WTG pass and a second XTG and a water only clean up. Maybe a different blade will make a difference with the OC. Time will tell as I'm sure I'll play around with it.

In my opinion, the Jaws clearly wins. I think the OC will have a definite place in my face shaves though. There are weekend mornings where all I do is a single WTG pass to keep me from looking clean and the OC would do that nicely with even less irritation than the Jaws.

I'll let you all know how the head shave goes with the OC.

Update:
Head shave with the OC

I used the GC OC this morning on my head shave. Based on the experience with the face shave, it performed about as I expected. It was a very comfortable 1 pass ATG shave. I was very impressed with the fact that there was minimal clean up to do. I have three small patches on my head that are a pain in *** to shave due to hair growth direction. Two of the three were no issue and the third was reduced to a mere nuisance. I did nick myself once but it was my fault not paying attention to how I was holding the angle on the side to top of head transition. I'll know by tonight if the shave is as close as it feels freshly shaven.

I have no idea how other guys shave their heads. This I will say about both the OC and the Jaws... If you are a one pass WTG shaver, go with the Jaws (just go slow and pay attention to you angles). If you are a one pass (or multiple passes) ATG shave, go with the OC.

Top Bottom