What's new

Any Reviews on the GC open comb ?

For efficiency or blade feel ?

Would like to know how it compared to both. I use both the timeless SS 0.95 SB and R41 as my daily drivers..

I feel the R41 has enough blade feel in a good way, and if the RR OC had same or similar with more efficiency I would certainly be interested

...and the Jaws baseplate-only option is sold out. That was quick. I'm sure they'll have a new batch soon, seeing as how quickly these are selling out

Last night they were selling the full Jaws. I ordered one. This AM they had the option for plates when I posted it......and all razors were gone.

Alrighty boys... My Jaws came yesterday afternoon. I was pretty excited to get my hands on this razor. Once I opened it though, excitement gave way some and fear started creep in. I'm not an evening shaver so I knew I would have to wait until morning, but I did load a blade into it along with my Karve OC with an E plate and my Muhle R41. Before anyone says anything, I have changed out the handle on my R41. BTW... I really think that Rockwell makes the finest handle out there. The first thing I noticed was the handle on the Jaws and realized that, while the super knurl handle would not have been my first choice, I was damn impressed. I was a little comforted knowing I was going to get very good purchase with this handle. I would by a razor with this handle any day and yes, it was as good as my usual Rockwell SS handle that floats around from razor head to razor head. Here is what I saw...
All pics are L - R: Jaws, Karve, and R41

upload_2019-7-21_2-8-27.png

I was pretty concerned about the blade exposure. To my "knowledge" I had never used a DE razor with this much blade before.

upload_2019-7-21_2-11-9.png

upload_2019-7-21_2-11-26.png

upload_2019-7-21_2-11-44.png

I really had to psych myself up to try this beast (I think Bruce would have been proud to have this razor named after him). So after my cup of coffee and a walk with the dog, in I went. I left the styptic in the drawer though, I didn't want to jinx myself. I will say that I know where in the drawer it is and that pic was in my mind's eye during the entire shave.
I decided to only do a single pass with clean up today. I typically shave for a DFS but occasionally go for the BBS. Today I wan't to feel what this could get with only a single pass. I have found that what works for me is an aggressive razor with a milder blade. As soon as I have to start dragging a blade multiple times across my face to get a decent shave, my face gets pretty irritated. I have found that the Astra SP blade is my go to blade, tried may times and trusted to perform. (I do use others and will eventually try several different blades in this razor.)
Face/beard prep done, soap ready, razor warmed, and one last mental image of where the styptic pencil was and off I went.
First thing I noticed was the angle on this razor was much more upright for me. I was taken a little off guard by that but realized how much I enjoyed that. By the time I had finished my first cheek I realized how much I was enjoying this beauty! Damn efficient, smooth, and requiring noticeably little effort on my part. I was very concerned about the area directly under my nostrils. If I'm going to get a nasty cut, it's going to be there. No problem handling the nostril to lip transition area! I do have a few trouble spots on my face (as most of us do) and this razor still struggled in those areas, BUT for a single pass WTG shave, the Jaws did a respectable job on them. All in all, it was a very nice shave.
Some things I noticed... I usually have enough residual soap on my face to do a water only clean up pass but this time there was a lot less slickness with just the water pass. I went easy with the clean up rather than reapply soap. I really wanted to know how a one pass shave was going to hold up. I had zero irritation with this shave, I mean ZERO! This was very surprising to me. The third thing I noticed is how dry my face feels. I always apply a shave balm after shaving, but my face still feels pretty dry, almost chapped. I'm going to have to keep an eye on this.
One thing I did not like... This is probably preference on my part and I'll explain why I don't like it. The posts that secure the blade in position are on the plate and not the top cap.

upload_2019-7-21_2-37-26.png

upload_2019-7-21_2-37-40.png

In the rinsing and cleaning of the razor on the days where I am not swapping blades, I do not take the razor apart to clean it. This design allow the top cap, plate, and blade to all spin independently. Considering it's a BLADE and my hands are wet and there is still soap everywhere at this point, I like it when the entire razor head separates to allow water to liberally pass through as a complete unit a time when it's a little safer to handle a BLADE. Just my personal preference.
Overall the razor is pleasant to use, the handle provides outstanding purchase and is finely crafted. Considering the stupid amount of money I have spent over the years this is one of my best purchases. Oh and one more thing... This razor looks like it should be in a horror movie! That's a plus in my book!

I was pretty concerned about the blade exposure. To my "knowledge" I had never used a DE razor with this much blade before.
!

I think you referring to cap span/blade reveal which is not the same thing as exposure. The GC has considerably greater guard span than the R41 which tends to result in less exposure even with the greater blade reveal.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Graydog

Biblical Innards
Nice Report , I am with you on How the blade post's are. The .84 Game Changer is the same.
I guess we'll have to get used to it.
I still would like to know why they made it that way

Ralph - can you give us a direct comparison with the R41 and Karve OC E plate? I have both of those, so wondering whether to add the Jaws.....

I think you referring to cap span/blade reveal which is not the same thing as exposure. The GC has considerably greater guard span than the R41 which tends to result in less exposure even with the greater blade reveal.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

??? I was talking about the amount of blade that is actually exposed. Reveal might be a better word.

Ralph - can you give us a direct comparison with the R41 and Karve OC E plate? I have both of those, so wondering whether to add the Jaws.....

I'm not sure if it would be fair after one shave to give a comparison, especially since I did not shave as I normally do. Here is what I can tell you right now. The angle you hold the Jaws at is much more user friendly than the Karve. The Jaws is much more efficient than either the Karve (OC w/an E plate) or the R41 in a single pass. The handle that I got was much more enjoyable to use that either the Karve or the Muhle stock handles. I don't think I will even try this on my head but in all fairness I can't use the R41 on my head and I have to use a SB C plate with the Karve. The amount of soap removed from the face is noticeably more with the Jaws. I'll post more thoughts later in the week as I get used to it.

Nice Report , I am with you on How the blade post's are. The .84 Game Changer is the same.
I guess we'll have to get used to it.
I still would like to know why they made it that way

On a realistic level, I would guess it makes no difference. If the parts are machined, you would actually have less waste in the milling process. I also expect in a milling process that the way they designed it would save on labor costs as it has to be quicker their way. I don't think in a casting process it makes any difference. The problem as I see it is handling the unit with wet soapy hands. Just seems like there would be a greater risk in handling.

Nice review. I am waiting for both RR OC's to come this week. My fav head shaver is Karve OC C and Schone

I found the Karve OC C plate to be too irritating. The best razor I have found for my head is the Rockwell with the #4 plate. Silky smooth!

I found the Karve OC C plate to be too irritating. The best razor I have found for my head is the Rockwell with the #4 plate. Silky smooth!
I do like the Rockwell #4...a very nice razor. I changed the head to 5-6 and I do not like it. Reminds me to go back to 4. I used the Parthenon V2 at #5 this week and it's decent. Above 5 it gets nasty for my skin...

I received my “Jaws” razor yesterday and just used it with about 36 hours beard growth. The large gaps between the wide combs gives this razor a menacing look but it gave a very smooth 3 pass BBS shave using a once used Polsilver blade. I am hoping to do some side by side comparisons of the 3 different .84 Gamechangers this week.

Top Bottom