What's new

Any Reviews on the GC open comb ?

I have used these 2 and the Lupo for face and head for some time. Tried Gillette blades, UTSA, Crystal and a Shark. I get good shaves with all of them and rank them: OC, Lupo and Jaws. Haven't cut myself yet, and do get some irritation , mostly with the Lupo. I have to admit, for my head-shaves nothing comes close to Karve OC "C" w 4" handle and for the face....I think all are equal....including Vintage Gillettes, FAtip, R41 and probably the favs are Schick injectors......

I have tried the Karve on my head many times. I have used the C,D,E, & F plates. This razor worked just OK for me. I got a decent shave but the irritation was more than I liked considering I shave my head every other day. For an open comb, I had my best luck with the Ikon, but for overall performance (closeness, efficiency, and lack of irritation) my Rockwell is the hands down winner. I am really hoping that the RR GC SB does the trick for me (on my head).
I have yet to go down the injector or single edge road (I can see lots more $$$ leaving me).

I have tried the Karve on my head many times. I have used the C,D,E, & F plates. This razor worked just OK for me. I got a decent shave but the irritation was more than I liked considering I shave my head every other day. For an open comb, I had my best luck with the Ikon, but for overall performance (closeness, efficiency, and lack of irritation) my Rockwell is the hands down winner. I am really hoping that the RR GC SB does the trick for me (on my head).
I have yet to go down the injector or single edge road (I can see lots more $$$ leaving me).
Have you tried the Schone? It's a great little device...smooth and effective with some sort of Gillette blade in it (if you are OK w those). Actually the Lupo isn't bad at all....gives me more irritation compared to Schone. I also do every 2 days....I lucked out w the Karve OC C; I think the 4" handle helps.....

I'll second the Schone. I have one and it's a nice razor. Made of brass so it's solid and has some heft, although they left the handle hollow, which I don't understand. My biggest complaint about it is not that it isn't heavy enough but that when shaving, water tends to collect in the handle and when you put the razor to your face it then runs out and down your arm. I suppose the answer to that is be careful not to get water in the handle, which I find ridiculously silly given this sport is called "wet shaving". It's a minor pet peeve for sure because it's shaves nicely.

I'll second the Schone. I have one and it's a nice razor. Made of brass so it's solid and has some heft, although they left the handle hollow, which I don't understand. My biggest complaint about it is not that it isn't heavy enough but that when shaving, water tends to collect in the handle and when you put the razor to your face it then runs out and down your arm. I suppose the answer to that is be careful not to get water in the handle, which I find ridiculously silly given this sport is called "wet shaving". It's a minor pet peeve for sure because it's shaves nicely.

I'm not being a smart *** on this, 100% honest (and neurotic)... I hate it when water runs down my arm while I'm shaving. I've embraced my weirdness at this stage of my life.

I'm not being a smart *** on this, 100% honest (and neurotic)... I hate it when water runs down my arm while I'm shaving. I've embraced my weirdness at this stage of my life.

I'm with you. It actually does bother me. And the razor kind of sits there until I notice it sitting there all lonely and realize it's been a month or two since I last picked it up. So i'll use it and back it goes for another couple months. I'm quite neurotic myself. My wife reminds me of that all the time. And I'm ok with it. I have a different word for it though. It's called "thorough". Works for me.

I'm with you. It actually does bother me. And the razor kind of sits there until I notice it sitting there all lonely and realize it's been a month or two since I last picked it up. So i'll use it and back it goes for another couple months. I'm quite neurotic myself. My wife reminds me of that all the time. And I'm ok with it. I have a different word for it though. It's called "thorough". Works for me.
But you could plug that hole if it bothers that much... I haven't noticed that issue...water just contacts the head for rinsing...

But you could plug that hole if it bothers that much... I haven't noticed that issue...water just contacts the head for rinsing...

What would you suggest plugging the hole with? I don't like messing with the original design and I'm not a metalworker in any way whatsoever. And when the water goes into the handle, it has to enter from the bottom end because it's closed off at the top due to the screw threaded into the handle. So the water in the hole does nothing for rinsing the head. Funny enough, as I looked over my 10 razors to decide which one to use, I looked at the Schone and then reached for the New Deluxe. The Schone isn't getting much love lately.

Well, I just placed my order for the RazoRock GameChanger Open Comb with the HD handle. I'm hoping I find it to be as good as so many others have found.

image.png

Last edited:
I just finished my first shave with my new RR Gamechanger OC. I wasn't going to review it until I had a few shaves with it but I feel the need to chime in after one shave. As I rub my hand over my face I have to say that this shave may very well be one of the best shaves I've ever had. I say that because the area on the left side of my neck which happens to be the biggest trouble area for me is almost smooth. It's not BBS there but it's smoother than I've ever been able to get it. The rest of my face is BBS. And this came about while using a Polsilver SI that has 2 or 3 shaves on it already. I've heard some people say they feel the teeth on this razor. I did not. And the aggressive knurling on the HD handle is perfect. It's solid and heavy, just how I like it. I hope this shave wasn't a fluke. If this is what I can expect from this razor, I'm going to start selling some of the other 31 razors in my den. I am going to sell some duplicates for sure. But I really am happy with this purchase. If I can continue to get these kinds of shaves consistently I'm going to have to buy another one as a backup. Good razors are always good to have backups for. I have two New Deluxes because before this razor, that was my favorite. The RR GC OC is going to give the New Deluxe a run for its money.

Last edited:
I have found the Astra SP works well in the OC. A Feather is just a fuzz better. You should try Jaws it is equally impressive.

I've had OC for about six weeks and have run Astra SP, Shark SS, Personna Labs, Wilkinson Sword, GSB, Big Ben and Rapira Lux. Every shave has been excellent. About on a par with the Karve OC D plate.

Glad to hear you’re enjoying it. I think at this point, having the oc and the jaws, I’m ready to let of them go. They are just so similar and I wanna try something different. I’ve been considering the mamba 70 for a milder everyday razor.

Glad to hear you’re enjoying it. I think at this point, having the oc and the jaws, I’m ready to let of them go. They are just so similar and I wanna try something different. I’ve been considering the mamba 70 for a milder everyday razor.
The Lupo is goood....might benefit from a different handle....

I just finished my first shave with my new RR Gamechanger OC. I wasn't going to review it until I had a few shaves with it but I feel the need to chime in after one shave. As I rub my hand over my face I have to say that this shave may very well be one of the best shaves I've ever had. I say that because the area on the left side of my neck which happens to be the biggest trouble area for me is almost smooth. It's not BBS there but it's smoother than I've ever been able to get it. The rest of my face is BBS. And this came about while using a Polsilver SI that has 2 or 3 shaves on it already. I've heard some people say they feel the teeth on this razor. I did not. And the aggressive knurling on the HD handle is perfect. It's solid and heavy, just how I like it. I hope this shave wasn't a fluke. If this is what I can expect from this razor, I'm going to start selling some of the other 31 razors in my den. I am going to sell some duplicates for sure. But I really am happy with this purchase. If I can continue to get these kinds of shaves consistently I'm going to have to buy another one as a backup. Good razors are always good to have backups for. I have two New Deluxes because before this razor, that was my favorite. The RR GC OC is going to give the New Deluxe a run for its money.

not a fluke. this razor really is that good.. i had a similar feeling after my first shave

78B7F439-54BA-485B-842F-D6FE7BF59ACF.jpeg
I got mine in the mail today and took it for it’s maiden voyage. I already have the solid bar .84 game changer, which is my favorite razor and what I use daily, in fact my Rex Ambassador just collects dust now. First shave with the open comb was on 5 days of growth so I had a full beard. Worked like a charm with no irritation after 3 passes. I’m curious how it will do with daily shaving as I can use the SB daily with no irritation. I think the open comb may have more blade feel but the jury is still out and it may be a placebo effect due to it being open comb. With that being said, if I hold the SB and OC next to each other, the geometry seems to be different. The teeth on the open comb are in fact more pointy, whereas the SB, the bar is rounder. Don’t know how much of a difference that’ll make.

I've used mine for three shaves thus far and am pretty happy with it. I do have one complaint which is a product of something in the design that I actually like. With the nubs on the bottom plate rather than the top cap, it makes more sense to put the blade on the bottom plate first. I like that the top cap doesn't have those long bullets that so many other razors have making it harder to clean the top cap. And the nubs are flat enough that the bottom plate is equally easy to clean. When I take the razor apart to clean it after each shave I have had trouble removing the blade from the bottom plate. And since the head is long enough to cover the blade tabs, I've found it difficult to pull the blade off. It always seems to get stuck and wants to stay on the plate rather than be removed. I find myself having to really pull the blade hard from both ends which bends the blade and seemingly makes it even harder for it to free itself. I'm sure I'll get the hang of it but was wondering if anyone esle noticed the same issue.

When I take the razor apart to clean it after each shave I have had trouble removing the blade from the bottom plate. And since the head is long enough to cover the blade tabs, I've found it difficult to pull the blade off. It always seems to get stuck and wants to stay on the plate rather than be removed. I find myself having to really pull the blade hard from both ends which bends the blade and seemingly makes it even harder for it to free itself. I'm sure I'll get the hang of it but was wondering if anyone esle noticed the same issue.

This came up in many posts/reviews when I was researching the GC. I have the SB version and it happens there too. One review called it "downright dangerous". It's very snug on the "posts" (didn't know what else to call them) but they're not too long so I've managed to get the blade off without too much trouble.

This came up in many posts/reviews when I was researching the GC. I have the SB version and it happens there too. One review called it "downright dangerous". It's very snug on the "posts" (didn't know what else to call them) but they're not too long so I've managed to get the blade off without too much trouble.

That makes sense to me. I had some trouble taking the blade off this morning. I can see how it can be called dangerous. I may find a small flat metal piece that I can get under the blade from the blade side and use it like a fulcrum to lift the blade off. I think the problem comes from grabbing the tabs from both ends which only tends to bend the blade, thereby shortening the distance between the contact points and making it eve more difficult to take it off. I'm sure I can find something in my workshop. Just another shaving tool to add to the den. :001_rolle

That makes sense to me. I had some trouble taking the blade off this morning. I can see how it can be called dangerous. I may find a small flat metal piece that I can get under the blade from the blade side and use it like a fulcrum to lift the blade off. I think the problem comes from grabbing the tabs from both ends which only tends to bend the blade, thereby shortening the distance between the contact points and making it eve more difficult to take it off. I'm sure I can find something in my workshop. Just another shaving tool to add to the den. :001_rolle
What the previous person said they did was to turn the plate over so the blade was facing down on a towel or soft cloth then push down on one side of the safety bar. That pops the blade right off.

Top Bottom