What's new

2020 Shave Purchase Sabbatical - Those Daring Men with their Jaunty Razors & Jalopies

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Yes, a pointy toe is not for the faint of heart. Once you get to about 100 SR shaves, those pointy toes come into their own.

Not sure what you have in rocks for your knives. For an SR I would initially recommend 400, 1k and 4k synthetics together with a set of lapping films up to 1um (about 25k). You can then finish on diamond pasted balsa strops up to 0.1um (about 200k) for a good shaving edge.

Just remember that SR's are a totally different ball game compared to even the best of knife sharpening.

I am a long way from 100 SR shaves! I have not kept track but I suspect over the last couple years I am probably up to a dozen or so attempts. The most recent attempt was kind of a breakthrough for me in that I did almost a complete pass, but even more important was the shave was as close as I normally get with a DE.

I need to get out to the shop to see what I have for stones.. I have a series of DMT "stones" that go from something that looks like lumpy concrete to fine enough to wonder if there is a coating on it at all. I also have a handful of Naniwa stones but can't remember the which ones. I tend to use my finer stones for sharpening my woodworking tools (chisels, planes, etc) than I do with the kitchen knives.

I will need to do some reading about lapping films... and figure out a way to get more free time so I can work my way up the SR learning curve.

Thanks for the replies.

Latest position;
SPS2020-20oct.JPG
SPS2020-20oct-b.JPG

SOTD (# 188/2020)
20-10-2020
20201014_163450-01.jpeg

Preshave: frigid tap water
Brush: Shavemac Synthetic 24/52
Soap: Mäurer & Wirtz ~ Tabac
Razor: Mühle Rocca R94
Blade: Wilkinson Sword Germany (4)
Postshave: frigid tap water, Stirling Soap Orange Chill AS.

JAHE - still in.

SOTD (# 189/2020)
22-10-2020
20201022_134853-01.jpeg

Brush: WestCoastShaving Two Tone Tall Synthetic 26/56
Soap: SV ~ Manna di Sicilia
Blade: Wilkinson Sword Germany (5)
Postshave: frigid tap water, Majestät AS.

JAHE - still in.

SOTD (# 191/2020)
25-10-2020
20201022_133245-01.jpeg

Brush: Semogue 830
Soap: Mäurer&Wirtz ~ Tabac
Blade: Wilkinson Sword Germany (7)
Postshave: frigid tap water, Razorock Santa Maria del Fiore AS.

Finally autumn has come here in Germany. Coudn't be happier with today's shave. Very close but smooth.
Tabac is a great choice for this time of the year.

Have a nice Sunday!
JAHE - still in!

Last edited:
SOTD (# 192/2020)
27-10-2020
20201027_100004-01.jpeg

Brush: Omega Synthetic 46138 Hi Brush 24/57
Soap: Stirling Soap ~ Gin & Tonic
Blade: Wilkinson Sword Germany (8)
Postshave: frigid tap water, Stirling Soap ~ Gin & Tonic AS

JAHE - still in.

SOTD (# 193/2020)
28-10-2020
20201027_233305-01.jpeg

Brush: Razorock ~ Big Bruce
Blade: Wilkinson Sword Germany (9 - out)
Postshave: frigid tap water, FINE Platinum AS

JAHE - still in.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Raven Koenes, Car 57, 1939 Fiat 1500 B. Team 10 (still in)

033_40.jpg

Today was a really good shave. The major issue I'm having is wanting to buy Hyaluronic Acid. I really want that stuff. So far, I have resisted. Is it worth crashing and burning my Sabbatical over? Curse you Jim! :laugh:

SOTD (# 194/2020)
29-10-2020
20201029_112102-01.jpeg

Brush: Semogue Owners Club 2-band badger
Blade: Gillette Platinum (3)
Postshave: frigid tap water, Stirling Soap Orange Chill AS

JAHE - still in.

Last edited:
I am still in (this will be year 5) but the folks in the straight razor section are working on trying to get me to buy some balsa, lapping film and a few other odd/ends. They don't quite get the concept of sabbatical and not just buying stuff. I am making a list and it looks like sometime in January I will probably blow $30-40 on this stuff to enable my "teach myself to hone" project.

Hmm, I probably should not have reread the rules again... Rule 12 is:

The fine print on the grey areas: Functional maintenance, such as straight razor honing, does not count as a purchased good. Since we're all gentlemen here, we leave it up to you to decide if PIF purchases for others count as purchases.

I interpreted this in the past as if I use a straight I can send a razor out to get honed as that is "just maintenance". The cost varies but you typically cover shipping and something to the person doing the work. I am interested in learning how to maintain my straights and I am learning that a couple pieces of lapping paper (think super duper fine sand paper) or pastes would allow me to avoid sending the razor out.

I know the "if you ask ... no" applies but it is kind of weird I could legally spend $20+ to get someone to refresh my razor but not less than $10 to acquire the tools to do it myself.

In some ways this question is hypothetical as I am super busy so I will probably just switch back to using my DE razors until the end of the year and skip the sabbatical next year so I can work through maintaining my own straights next year.

Ruckin

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I'm still in and I'm reducing. Selling, or giving away stuff I know I won't use or simply don't like compared to other things I have.

SOTD (# 195/2020)
31-10-2020
20201031_085523-01-01.jpeg

Brush: WestCoastShaving Two Tone Tall Synthetic 26/56
Soap: Stirling Soap ~ Hipster
Blade: Wilkinson Sword Germany (5)
Postshave: frigid tap water, Nivea Sensitive post shave balm.

ROCCAtober has been completed.
In November I will give the B&B shave roulette some spins...

Just two more months to go! Stay strong gents!

JAHE - #6 still in.

Top Bottom