What's new

2020 Shave Purchase Sabbatical - Those Daring Men with their Jaunty Razors & Jalopies

#45 Still in. Maybe 3 shave lefts in a tube of Proraso Red that is one of a number that I bought on sale at TJX. Same with a tube of Blackstone Mens Products Balm. No need or desire to buy anything soon.

Hi,

I seem to recall we once figured out they were chocolate chocolate chip. You know, nice and dark. They might be fudge covered to boot! :p

Stan

01-11-2020

>> Shave Roulette <<

20201101_141707-01.jpeg

Preshave: frigid tap water
Brush: Semogue Owners Club 2-band badger
Soap: Haslinger ~ Schafsmilch
Razor: Gillette Tech (1952 Canada)
Blade: Gillette Nacet (1)
Postshave: frigid tap water, Nivea Sensitive post shave balm.

Shaving with the Schafsmilch feels close to having a facial treatment in a spa. I had almost forgotten how great this soap is.

The fresh Nacet paired with the mild Tech provided a buttery smooth shave. 3 passes resulted in a full bbs shave without any irritation.

I basically don't rate my shaves but today's shave simply was a stunning 10/10.

JAHE - still in!

Hi,

I seem to recall we once figured out they were chocolate chocolate chip. You know, nice and dark. They might be fudge covered to boot! :p

Stan

Hmm, I might have been saved by the buzzer (alarm). This is TMI but apparently the septic system is in need of attention. This initial goal is to reverse engineer the theory of operation so I can figure out why it is unhappy. My old system would be easy... it used gravity. But the new one has pumps, timers and all sorts of stuff - they said it is way more reliable :confused1

My personal opinion is gravity has been pretty regular and reliable for a long time and and doesn't depend on hair trigger circuit breakers or electricity being available.

I things get fixed faster than I expect I might swing back for some of those cookies (after washing my hands a few times). But for now me and my shovel are going to get some exercise.

Still in. And the above is not really shaving related except for the fact that some of the fluids in the tank may contain shaving byproducts (lather, whiskers).

My old system would be easy... it used gravity. But the new one has pumps, timers and all sorts of stuff - they said it is way more reliable...
That is the Gillette sales pitch, make you reliant on pumps and controls and the charge you lots of money for maintenance of same.
:001_rolle

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Raven Koenes, Car 57, 1939 Fiat 1500 B. Team 10 (still in)

SOTD: :001_wub:
Razor: Fatip Lo Storto
Blade: Gillette Platinum (6)
Brush: Semogue 610
Soap: Proraso Red
Aftershave: Proraso Green (Splash)
023_42.jpg

The last shave of the week is usually the best shave of the week. Today's first shave is going to be hard to beat using that model. This shave was as good as any last day shave that I've had. I really seem to have the chin and upper lip area figured out since I shaved my round beard three weeks back. This was day six on my Gillette Platinum. I'd forgotten how well blades smooth out since swapping them every week. Yes, a fresh sharp blade every week is nice. The down side is that you never get to feel the blade smooth out like you do on week two. I think I prefer a smoothed out blade.

It was nice using my Semogue 610 this week. I'd forgotten how wonderful the face feel can be with a nice broken in piggy. They are as soft as a synthetic in a different way. I think this is because the bristles have more back bone, but the split end tips are super soft?

Proraso is magic, and that's all I have to say about that. That and the Sandalwood scent of Proraso Red is absolutely brilliant. Other than that that's all I have to say about Proraso. That and it loads really easy. That it's magic, the Sandalwood scent is absolutely brilliant, and it loads really easy is all I have to say about Proraso...and that the consistency of the soap makes it really protective... :tongue_sm

03-11-2020

>> Shave Roulette <<
20201103_010701-01.jpeg

Brush: Semogue Owners Club Mistura
Soap: Calani ~ Oriental Plum
Razor: Merkur 15c
Blade: Feather (2 and out!)
Postshave: frigid tap water, Nivea Sensitive psb.

JAHE - still in.

SOTD (198/2020)
04-11-2020

>> Shave Roulette <<
20201103_212426-01.jpeg

Brush: Shavemac Synthetic 24/52
Soap: Calani ~ Oriental Plum
Razor: Fatip Grande Open Comb
Blade: Feather (1)
Postshave: frigid tap water, Majestät AS.

JAHE - still in.

SOTD (198/2020)
05-11-2020

>> Shave Roulette <<
20201105_092233-01-01.jpeg

Brush: Semogue Owners Club 2-band badger
Soap: Mike's ~ Orange, cedarwood & black pepper
Razor: Gillette Red Tip
Blade: Personna Chrome Platinum (1)
Postshave: frigid tap water, Majestät AS.

This week I am the croupier of B&B's shave roulette. Join in, gents, that's so much fun!

(For further details wrt the "rules" pls check post #10 and #13 - it's easy)

JAHE - spinning the roulette wheel for you!

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Raven Koenes, Car 57, 1939 Fiat 1500 B. Team 10 (still in)

SOTD: :001_wub:
Razor: Fatip Lo Storto
Blade: Gillette Platinum (10)
Brush: Semogue 610
Soap: Proraso Red
Aftershave: Proraso Green (Splash)
032_42.jpg

I had a surprise Amazon package on my counter when I got home from work. I opened it up and it was a bottle of InstaSkincare 2oz bottle of Hyaluronic Acid. I knew it had to be somebody from B&B, as this is the only place where I've discussed it. I had my suspicions who sent it. I later confirmed who it was through PM. I just want to give him a big thank you. Wow, that was very generous! I can't wait until Hyaluronic Acid makes me as good looking as David Beckham. I'm pretty sure it will (not to sound over confident).

Today's shave falls into second best place this week, as my first shave of the week was absolutely stellar. This brings my second to the last shave firmly in at third. The third shave comes in at forth, rounding it off with my second shave coming in fifth. I'll see where next weeks tally leads starting on Monday.

Next weeks line up: Jim's Fatip Lo Storto Gentile paired with a fresh Gillette 7 o'clock Yellow, a continuation of Proraso Red, my APShaveco uBrush Tuxedo, the soon to be game changing InstaSkincare Hyaluronic Acid, followed up with Proraso Green (Splash) once again. Happy shaves and until next week!

SOTD (199/2020)
06-11-2020

>> Shave Roulette <<
20201105_133416-01.jpeg

Brush: WestCoastShaving Two Tone Tall Synthetic 26/56
Soap: Dr. John's ~ Hydra
Razor: Gillette Slim Adjustable
Blade: Treet Platinum (1)
Postshave: frigid tap water, Stirling Soap Gin & Tonic AS

JAHE - still in

SOTD (200/2020)
07-11-2020

>> Shave Roulette <<
20201107_092656-01.jpeg

Brush: Razorock Big Bruce
Soap: Dr. John's ~ Hydra
Razor: Mühle R89
Blade: Gillette 7 o' clock Super Platinum
Postshave: frigid tap water, Stirling Soap Gin & Tonic AS.

Shave no. 200 is in the books. I easily will complete the year. Finish line, here I come...

JAHE - still in

Tossed an empty tube of Blackstone Shave balm this week as I nibble away at all of the bargain purchases that I have picked up at TJX. October was committed to Techs and I rotated through a pre-war Gold tech, ball end tech, and 1951 bakelite handle tech. The Gold tech is one of my favorites. November will be all single edge. Working with Micromatic Open Combs as a start. Alum block told me the first three days were off on angle and pressure but the last three have been smooth and clean. I am enough of a cheapskate that I keep my single edge blades to use in scrapers and utility knives after I am done shaving with them.

Question for the group, I bought some cheap sharpening stones on Amazon, to sharpen my machete and kitchen knives. I do have some straight razors, which I eventually will use the stones for as well. Opinions on whether I should call myself out?

Question for the group, I bought some cheap sharpening stones on Amazon, to sharpen my machete and kitchen knives. I do have some straight razors, which I eventually will use the stones for as well. Opinions on whether I should call myself out?

Do you feel like you should be out? Whether or not you think you are out is probably 90% of the reason that you are out.

IMO you purchased the stones for your tools (not your razors) so I would say your are not out.

SOTD (201/2020)
10-11-2020

>> Shave Roulette <<
20201109_221811-01.jpeg

Brush: Semogue Owners Club Boar
Soap: Gentleman's Nod~ Jackie
Razor: Fatip Open Comb Slant
Blade: BIC Chrome Platinum (1)
Postshave: frigid tap water.

JAHE - still in

Hi,

SR honing and the basic tools for this is allowed. As usual, it is a matter of how wild did you go? Sounds like you kept is restrained. ;)

Stan - Still In

Top Bottom