What's new

2020 Shave Purchase Sabbatical - Those Daring Men with their Jaunty Razors & Jalopies

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Raven Koenes, Car 57, 1939 Fiat 1500 B. Team 10 (still in)

SOTD: :001_wub:
Razor: Fatip Piccolo
Blade: Astra SP (4)
Brush: APShaveco SynBad
Soap: Stirling Frozen Tundra
Aftershave: Stirling Frozen Tundra (Splash)
035_42.jpg

You won´t believe what happened today...

A few days ago a B&B member spread the message that a golden FOCS was now in stock. On that particular day I had a chat with a long time co-worker of mine. He is a passionate wet shaver, we often talk shaving stuff... on this day we inter alia talked about slants - and I mentioned the FOCS... but he was unaware of it.

I pointed him to the B&B FATIP Slant thread (he does not participate in shaving forums) and I guess you can imagine the result. He immediately placed his order (shipping from Italy to Germany is not a big deal). Before placing his order he offered to join in and to order one more FOCS - but I declined his kind offer (I simply had to resist!)

Today he walked into my office... and he presented his new, shiny golden FOCS to me. It is truly a nice looking razor.

But the best thing is yet to come. After handing back the razor to him he asked me if I was intending to buy a FOCS after having finished my sabbital - I do, so I nodded. He simply replied: "OK, here you go - keep this razor and just enjoy it! Thank you for your great hint, buddy!"

You cannot imagine how perplexed I was, can you? I just stood there open-mouthed.
This crazy guy had ordered two FOCSes.
Frankly, while typing this post I am still shaking my head...

Well, my inital shave with the FOCS will take place on the upcoming weekend - I will skip tomorrow´s shave since the shave with the Rocca today was super close...:biggrin1:
ROC(ca)tober will be interrupted once on short notice by FOC(S)tober...

JAHE - still in - and I frankly feel blessed today!

Last edited:
Third quarter check in completed and two drivers appear to have had mishaps to complete the stage. Two drivers failed to check in and no doubt @RTM and @_Stormin_ may be able to enlighten us on their demise.
We still have 34 in the race on the last leg; that is 50% still focused on that chequered flag so keep those engines running and eyes on the road.
SPS2020-8oct.JPG
SPS2020-8oct-b.JPG

SOTD (# 182/2020)
10-10-2020

20201010_093553-01.jpeg

Preshave: frigid tap water
Brush: Semogue Owners Club Badger
Soap: Mäurer & Wirtz ~ Tabac
Razor: Fatip Open Comb Slant
Blade: Personna Platinum Chrome (2)
Postshave: frigid tap water, Majestät AS Nivea post shave balm.

JAHE - still in. And I'm such a happy camper with the FOCS

Still out, but still playing the at home game. Just finished a tub of Captain's Choice Nor'easter cream. Really enjoyable cream and one that I'll definitely order again in the future. I still need to finish up 4 or 5 more soaps before I order anything new again, though. I think the next two to go will be a CBL sample puck and an AoS Sandalwood. I also have a WCS sample I need to try.

SOTD (# 183/2020)
11-10-2020

<< Roccatober <<
20201011_095227-01.jpeg

Brush: WestCoastShaving Two Tone Tall Synthetic 26/56
Soap: Razorock ~ Dead Sea
Razor: Mühle Rocca R94
Blade: Wilkinson Sword Germany (7)

JAHE - wishing all remaining drivers (and those who got lost) a sunny sunday!

Hi,

Ah. Number 67. I can never remember that for some reason. :p

So, here we are in OCtober and I just can't get into using all eight of my OC razors. I have only used three so far, and my not even get the others out of the drawer.

This is a story of RAD and Restraint. I went to the effort of planning the acquisition of these during a year-long restraint specifically for use during the next OCtober. I had eyeballed eBay in December for what I wanted to go for during the next Restock. Then, I bought four of these at that point.

I admit that the next OCtober was grand, cycling through seven OC razors on a daily basis as if they were an old Seven Day Set of straight razors. The following year all that was OK. last year it seemed like a bit of work. This year it is sort of like 'why bother?'.

Part of the entire idea was to see just how different they all shaved relative to each other for the Gillette razors. Old Type, New Improved, New SC, New LC and 1934 Aristocrat.

Well, OCtober isn't over with yet. I may get back to it.

Stan - Still In

Here we are in the final part of the race and it feels strange to say this, but I could pretty easily continue with the sabbatical for another year, or even two years! I really overbought on the soaps, blades and aftershaves this time last year. So, I've been keeping a wish list for January, but don't really need anything. Is this normal?
:letterk1:

Here we are in the final part of the race and it feels strange to say this, but I could pretty easily continue with the sabbatical for another year, or even two years! I really overbought on the soaps, blades and aftershaves this time last year. So, I've been keeping a wish list for January, but don't really need anything. Is this normal?

Well, it depends on what you define as normal. :D

Owning e.g. 20 soaps and 1k blades is not exactly normal in absolute terms, IMHO, but around here it could very well be so... Since you've been restraining so far, you can always join us in the 2020-2024 leap year sabbatical. ;)

SOTD (# 184/2020)
12-10-2020

20201011_191952-01.jpeg

Brush: Semogue Owners Club 2-band badger
Soap: MWF
Blade: Wilkinson Sword Germany (8)

My day was awful. Work sucked. Traffic jam. Rainy weather. Headache... just one of THOSE days...

But at least the day ended with a super nice evening shave. Brought the scuttle back into play. What a pleasure to use a scuttle filled with warm lather of MWF is. And the Rocca more and more turns to be one of the smoothest razors I own. It's a pure joy to use.

It's been a very relaxing shave. Now I'm good, finally.

In a word: sure! 😆

SOTD (# 185/2020)
13-10-2020

20201011_112721-01.jpeg

Brush: Yaqi Tuxedo Synthetic 28/58
Soap: Mäurer & Wirtz ~ Tabac
Blade: Wilkinson Sword Germany (1)
Postshave: frigid tap water, Stirling Soap Orange Chill Witch hazel & post shave balm.

JAHE - still in.

I kind of wish those from the wormhole could have warned me about how long it takes to use a brick of Vitos. I 3017my soap, blades, aftershave, ... pretty much everything. I note that today is shave 600 on the brick and I am a bit more than half way though the second (of three) chunk.

Some days I think that my sabbatical super power is a combination of stubbornness and apathy. I mean what is the point of buying a soap if I know that I have 600 more shaves before I can try it. That is if I ignore the other 58 soaps sitting in the queue :eek2:

tldr; I am still in and am pleased to have crossed the half way mark in my 3017 a block of Vitos project.

SOTD (# 186/2020)
15-10-2020
20201015_160406-01.jpeg

Brush: Shavemac Synthetic 24/52
Soap: Taylor of Old Bond Street ~ Royal Forest
Razor: Fatip Open Comb Slant (aka the "go-FOCS")
Blade: Wilkinson Sword Germany (2)
Postshave: frigid tap water, FINE Platinum AS.

JAHE - still in.

SOTD (# 187/2020)
18-10-2020
20201014_163050-01-01.jpeg

Brush: Razorock Big Bruce
Soap: Taylor of Old Bond Street ~ No. 50
Blade: Wilkinson Sword Germany (3)
Postshave: frigid tap water, FINE Platinum AS, Nivea Cool post shave balm.

JAHE - still in.

Ruckin is still in but I am seeing the beginnings of temptation from a direction I was not expecting. Yesterday I had a bit of extra time so I decided to try to see how well I could do with a straight. I have tried using them off and on (way more off than on) but I probably only have about half a dozen attempts that didn't get very far and/or didn't work. Imagine my surprise in being almost done with the first pass (I had never gotten this far before). I was watching myself in the mirror reposition the razor in my hand to get near the jaw line on the chin when I discovered that my face was way too close and I had just poked myself with the square point (note to self the square point is pretty darn sharp).

I then put the razor down and stopped the bleeding. I then lathered up to do a pass with the DE. I was shocked that not only had I mostly completed a first pass it actually was a pretty good shave and the second pass is mostly just clean up.

So now I get to the temptation part... I really want to be able to maintain my razor myself and would like to learn how to keep it ... uh razor sharp :001_rolle. I have a bunch of stones for keeping my knives and woodworking stuff sharp but I figure I should get one of those cheap razor like objects to teach myself how to set the bevel and progress through the stones.

But about four years and nine months ago I committed to myself I would do the sabbatical five years in a row and I would be quite disappointed with myself if I can't even keep a promise to myself. So between now and the end of the year I will attempt a few more shaves when I have the extra time and work on learning about the honing process with the expectation of maybe purchasing a cheap razor suitable for learning on next year.

Ruckin - still in but wondering about next year.

mrlandpirate

Got lucky with dead badgers
I sharpen and shave with a straight often and the first thing I do is run the very tip of the razor on the mirror doesn’t hurt the glass but dulls the point. Happy shaving

Top Bottom