What's new

101 uses of Pinaud Clubman

Those bottles give off a very stinky gas if they get warm.
After I decanted all my pinaud bottles into original glass, I poured hot, but not boiling, water into them to loosen up the labels so I could transfer them. The labels came right off, but the soft plastic warped and changed from clear to cloudy. Definitely inferior plastic.

Body chemistry plays a big role in how a scent reacts to a person. There are some fragrances that smell nice is the bottle - but when I put it on the scent is a lot different. As an illustration, my wife likes the perfume Angel and it smells great on her. However, the same scent on her sister-in-law smells entirely different and not so great.
I loved the scent of Citrus Vetiver by Bath & Body Works. Bought a bottle. It has great lasting power, but after about two hours on my body, all I smell is chicken ramen noodle soup. While not a repulsive smell, that is not something that I want for my own personal odor.

Well it has been almost a month and half since I decanted a full bottle of 12oz Clubman Pinaud into a clean and smell free glass bottle of Tabac cologne with enough head space to gas off the funky strong smell of plastic and possibly the very very old school and disagreeable scent of Clubman Pinaud itself.

The bottle was kept in somewhat sunny window to fasten the process and I opened the bottle every 3-4 day to give it some air and posted the cap back again. Couple of days back I decided to use the aftershave again. I gave it a good shake and applied liberally. I noticed the AS scent to be just tiny bit mellow but overall it was just the same old stink bomb I experienced on day one. It knocked me over and spread around me like a nauseous gas cloud.

I wanted to Piff it on to someone from India but the two horse town I live in; no courier service was willing to offer services for an alcohol bottle. With that option out of window, I decided to give it last try and nearly found myself blown.

I reconciled that I am not the chosen one so I decided to part ways amiably with Clubman Pinaud. It would have been too much of a waste to pour it down the drain. Around that time I saw our maintenance guy preparing his mobile fumigation machine to keep away mosquitoes that are big menace here during summer time. I sauntered over him and poured all of 12oz into his little kerosene tank.

Off he goes with his fogging machine and fumigated the hell out of mosquitoes :a17: I can tell you that the death toll on mosquitoes must have been heavy for I was able to keep windows open for much longer between two fogging sessions :07:

Well, maybe it's your diet that makes your body chemistry conflict with the scent. Indian food uses so many different spices that excrete though your pores, so that could be a conflict. Too bad, I like all the Clubman scents except for Vegetal,

I find scents smell different on differemt people but have not really noticed a pattern regarding diet. Anyway, HH you gave it a decent try.. what are you moving on to from here?

Jer78 the food intake and seasoning used in them do have impact on the body odder and sweat. Sometime notwithstanding food and spices therein, it is just how your skin reacts to certain scents. Sometime it is your smell receptors that give a sensory feedback based upon which you may term any smell as good or bad.

I just wanted to give a try to the mass produced great American Classic aftershaves and Pinaud Clubman was my first acquisition. I bought Mennen SB and Aqua Velva as well and now I know that in a broad sense the so called old school barber scents are not something that I am going to hugely enjoy. Part of the problem for me is that we have almost 9 months of hot weather including muggy monsoons and most of AS meant for western markets are not formulated with my weather conditions in mind. This is a caveat I almost always keep in mind when buying online.

Moving forward, I do have local collection of AS and to my nose they do not come across as queer as Pinaud Clubman. I keep in rotation 3-4 veraities of Denim, Old spice in Original, Lime and Musk. Old formulation of Blue Stratos and couple of local grooming brands. I use a local brand ‘Forest Essentials’ that is slightly pricy but their non alcohol based AS are up there with many of best artisan out there. Their sweet mandarin and aloe vera AS is my staple for now even though I am not a big fan of non alcohol based AS. I recently discovered Speick range and Speick AS is going to be with me for long.

I don’t think I am going to try more of old barber school scents that are heavily laden with glycerine and smell powdery with generous dose of plastic. For crying out loud even the twoppence good for nothing no name local AS here, comes in glass bottles.

If you like Old Spice Musk, might I suggest Clubman Vanilla. The name is a bit misleading, there is not much vanilla in there and it is not sweet. But to my nose it comes out as a musk that is more complex than the Old Spice, if that sounds appealing to you. Of course you do have the plastic bottle to deal with, decanting it does help it mellow a little. Other splashes come and go but that one seems to stick around.

Best wishes, JM

If you like Old Spice Musk, might I suggest Clubman Vanilla. The name is a bit misleading, there is not much vanilla in there and it is not sweet. But to my nose it comes out as a musk that is more complex than the Old Spice, if that sounds appealing to you. ........

Best wishes, JM
Thanks JM, I will keept that in mind. I do like Old Spice a lot and I will say as much, that to my nose, both Musk and Lime seems to be just an add-on mix in the good old Original Old Spice and it is really not a very good idea to me.

How about using it in a mosquito or wasp trap?
Would that work?

As it so happens, I recently took a chance and bought a 12.5 oz bottle from a local brick & mortar store. The vendor said I could return it if it was not for me.
Fortunately, SWMBO likes it, and it's growing on me. I think of it as a more grown-up, more civilized version of Brut.

Mine was decanted into the toilet by my wife.
She is very supportive of my aftershave and razor hoarding, but I crossed a line with that one!
It makes her nauseous and I knew that when I got another bottle after the first one "must have gotten misplaced or accidentally thrown out."
LOL

I bathe in the stuff. My favorite fragrance/splash to date. The first 20-30 minutes are a little "harsh" with a lemony bite, but it really settles down into a soft, warm, and welcoming powedery-ness that I just love.

To me, you just can't beat this:

(1) a gloomy, rainy day (or fall/winter day) combined with:
(2) Clubman,
(3) Piping hot black coffee, and
(4) Classic jazz music. Just a winning combination.

When I first tried Pinaud Clubman I was absolutely horrified and I couldn't believe that folks would put that stuff on their bodies. That being said time and buyers remorse resulted in sporadic usage over the course of a year.

Fast forward and now I order the 12oz bottles. The danged ol' stuff grew on me! I think that new bottles need oxygen and in time the unpleasant searing alcohol scent mellows IMHO. I usually pour 4oz into a 6oz glass bottle with a woozie cap.

Percpetions are funny. Always use a very generous amount. Industrial strength?. Im always a bit disappointed at its staying power.

Top Bottom