What's new

Featured Aftershave - Pinaud Clubman

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I absolutely love the scent, but it is so powerful that I can't wear it...and it seems to last forever. My wife can't stand the smell and I work in a scent free workplace. I get to wear it maybe twice a year when my wife goes away and I have a couple of days off work. It brings back very strong barber shop memories. Even though I only get to splash some on once in a while I get to admire the classic bottle and golden colour liquid every day on my shelf.
Try Coachman. Same company nearly identical scent but much subdued and same cost.

Try Coachman. Same company nearly identical scent but much subdued and same cost.
Thanks for the tip...I will try Coachman. I have managed to reduce the strength of Pinaud Clubman by putting Lucky Tiger or Witch Hazel in my palm and then adding a single drop of Clubman...it seems to cut down the strength and duration of the scent. Best of both worlds.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Thanks for the tip...I will try Coachman. I have managed to reduce the strength of Pinaud Clubman by putting Lucky Tiger or Witch Hazel in my palm and then adding a single drop of Clubman...it seems to cut down the strength and duration of the scent. Best of both worlds.
Let me know if it works for you and passes the SWMBO test.

Just purchased my first bottle today and I’m very impressed!
upload_2018-5-29_22-4-3.jpeg

Those are 10oz new bottles I got from amazon. Look for hot sauce bottles. The glass bottles keep the plastic from messing up the AS smell.

To remove the label is simple. Pour the AS in the new bottle, put on the restrictor and cap. Take the old bottle and fill with water to the top of the label. Microwave it in 30 sec bursts, normally take 2 to 3, then just peel it off and put it on the new bottle. The label will have hot glue stuck to it.

To save money the AS companies switched to glass, I also think new Airline regulations required non-breakable bottles for alcohol based AS. The cheap plastic bottles react with the AS and changes the scent, at least that's what I have read on this forum. Whether it's true or not I prefer the look of the bottles.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Do you think the glass is better than plastic?Can you explain why?
Thank you

The theory is to prevent out gassing of VOC's. (volatile organic compounds.) When certain solutions get absorbed or trapped into a porous material, (plastic, wood, etc.) The chemicals from the solution will start to outgas from the material that absorbed it (many people say "offgassing") as it evaporates.

Example: When a room is freshly painted, the chemicals from the curing paint will begin to outgas. This is what gives the "fresh paint smell" that people will identify with. So outgassing can be quite concentrated, when a solution is being absorbed in a porous material and is also confined in a very small place with no ventilation for the VOC's outgassing to go. So when you open that plastic bottle of aftershave? You get that concentrated smell of outgassing VOC's.

Pour that same liquid solution into a non porous glass bottle? VOC's then cannot be absorbed which in turn glass will not give outgassing.

Last edited:
I am a 3rd generation Clubman and can vouch that there is no more distinctive scent than Pinauds after shave. It never fails to get a compliment from the ladies at my place of work as the Bergamon stings nostrils for a radius of 3 metres. I have read that some club members cut theirs with witch hazel and I am saddened to hear this. That’s like drinking Johnny Walker Blue over the rocks. If you can’t handle pinaud neat, you should probably make the move to Old Spice.

I decant mine in a brandy snifter to avoid contaminants and add a splash of my own urine. Stay with me here, it is very natural and it is known to contain natural pheromones which women can not resist. When I told this to one of my former friends he called me **** face and said I smell like an old mans balls, to which I replied “Jealousy is a stinky cologne.”

Bottom line, this scent is not for everyone, which leaves you with one question. Are you Clubman enough?

Clubman fan here as well. I use it everyday and love it. My wife says it smells intoxicating on me lol.

Top Bottom