What's new

6 of Pinaud's products discussed.

I love Gent’s Gin. Juniper, red cedar, and lime scent that is very refreshing and distinguished. My wife immediately said “now I like that, it does not smell like an old man!” It is my go to date night aftershave. As a comparison I think it smells similar to german Pitrilon, but lighter and fresher. I might add that it is one of my college age son’s favorites as well.

Great round up! I may have to try the Citrus Musk now.

Regarding the Veg - I decanted a sample from Gary's shop into a glass bottle and stored it for 6+ months. Some how i had the brilliant idea to smell like lilacs on a summer road trip with the Fam. I was ready to enjoy this "cat pee free" nirvana but instead I get the equivalent of a swirly in the public urinal in Penn station at rush hour. I tried to get it off with hot water but I had to go pick up the car so I was stuck with it for hours. Never again!

I also decanted mine. It didn’t do a thing to reduce the cat pee. Never again for me either.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Got my first bottle of Clubman today, really like it. I tend to use splashes more like cologne instead of applying to my face. The fragrance mellowed but lasted quite a while. Very pleasing.

Hi guys, need your advice, I have the both the Clubman Whisky Woods and GentsGin. Both are great and I love 'em.

I received my first Pinaud Virgin Island Bay Rum just a day ago. Phewwww...I found it to be too 'clove' heavy.
Question 1
Is there anything I can do to reduce that? I love the Bayrum soaps but this VIBR 'clove' scent is too strong for me...

Question 2
Is it really a difference and necessary to decant into glass bottles..?

Thanks in advance...

Hi guys, need your advice, I have the both the Clubman Whisky Woods and GentsGin. Both are great and I love 'em.

I received my first Pinaud Virgin Island Bay Rum just a day ago. Phewwww...I found it to be too 'clove' heavy.
Question 1
Is there anything I can do to reduce that? I love the Bayrum soaps but this VIBR 'clove' scent is too strong for me...

Question 2
Is it really a difference and necessary to decant into glass bottles..?

Thanks in advance...
Q1 make Bootleggers out of it!
Q2 no, use and enjoy.
Regards

Apologies....perhaps I did not inform, I am from a perpetual hot country with no winters, in Malaysia. I plan to do my own 'bootleg'...hahahaha
Thanks anyway

Until this forum, I had only seen Pinaud stuff at my now deceased grandfather's house and in the possession of my uncle, his oldest son who is now 84. I am 34 and thanks to you folks, I now own some of my own, though not what I recall my family having. Here are my thoughts on what I have sampled so far. Forgive me for not using all the correct scent lingo, I don't know what most of those words smell like besides ink on paper. :blushing:

The Glorious Veg:
I get it, heck, I even like it. I prefer it to regular Clubman because it has more going on and to me it lasts longer. Weird smell due to how it changes, but I could live with it. What I got (and have totally used up to make sure I was chosen) was a sample from the Maggard folk in a 7 ml glass atomizer bottle. That means, due to the glass, that cat pee was not what greeted me first, it really was the powdery lilac goodness. Since using the atomizer, I have smelled the urine, but hey, man up and power through it! At the risk of angering the Veg deities and though I appear chosen, I do not love it as much as other Pinaud stuff. Maybe I am spitting in the face of greatness and if so, please, be merciful.

Clubman:
I find it acceptable, but it moves me less than the Veg. Makes me a weirdo, I know! I can totally appreciate that some of you here love it and I see that it is appealing. It doesn't strike me as an "old man" scent, but keep in mind I have no childhood memories of barbershops at all and on that note of cultural depravity, again I ask for mercy!

Osage Rub:
This I got as a sample to see if, for roughly $6 or so for 14 oz., I could tell myself that I could save money with aftershave, too. Unfortunately, it strikes me as a cool one trick pony. I went all in and sprayed it on my head (buzzed hair, no clipper guard) and face after a shave, and I just don't like that Icy Hot feeling. I can see it would cool you off if you had a horrid shave, but the smell was off-putting in addition to being short lived, which, when smelling of Vicks, ain't all bad to me, but it shall be avoided.

Lime Sec:
I certainly wish that this scent lasted longer. I really liked it, crisp, cutting edge, and refreshing. I enjoyed sniffing myself. I can see that it might be described as a young person's fragrance. I can see why people use it in the summer. It is not overpowering, but really pleasant. I guess I want to be more noticeable, if you are going to wear a scent you like, my model (dad) taught me to force it on others a bit. This fails there which is exactly why some people love it and why I probably ought to love it more for the sake of my associates! :biggrin1:

Citrus Musk:
This is my overall second favorite of the six I have whiffed so far. As awesome and refreshing as the Lime Sec, but in a different and more lingering way. I have the urge to buy multiple bottles. It makes me happy, yet allows me to be mature (in my mind, though maybe nowhere else!). It is not offensive to me, it is light but catchy. I want to have this smell in my possession for the rest of my life, may it be a long one with good health!

Special Reserve:
My hands down favorite. This was the first of Mr. Pinaud's offerings to draw olfactory blood from me, and it was not love at first sniff, but it was by the third day! Heavy as heck! Totally opposite of the Citrus Musk and Lime Sec. I can see how the Veg and Clubman are "middle ground" scents compared to this. It screams "ESTABLISHMENT" to me, like being wrapped in a tuxedo made of Old Money that had been kept in cigar boxes, with the cigars, and hanging out at Mycroft's club for Gentlemen that is depicted in the new Sherlock series from the BBC/PBS. This will not lead to social revolutions, rather it will give you a lesson in conformity (again, not all bad!). It smells mature and complex, but not old to me. Yes, the compliments I have gotten have come from older ladies at church, but hey, I use fountain pens from the 1920's so this fits my personality. It can be overbearing, but at least it is a distinguished sort of overbearing and not crass or rude, quite gentlemanly to me, maybe I should say intently persistent instead of overbearing. A little does go a long way, but if you tempt fate with a second palm full, I swear you hear an angelic choir faintly give praise in the background.

These are my thoughts, and I thank this forum heartily for extolling the virtues of this hitherto unknown world of fragrance and distinction to my under-exposed noob self. You kind folk are the best!
Wow. You like Special Reserve. Why?

I bought a big bottle of the stuff, sealed at the drug store. No chance to sample it. Got it home, shaved, splashed it on and—-yuck! Smells like an old lady’s perfume. Very sweet, very feminine, a pungent undersmell, and it doesn’t get better. Horrible. I dread having to use it. Now I’m stuck with 7 ounces of the stuff and I’m too cheap to throw it away. Uggghhh!

I recently was gifted the Vanilla. I don't find it underwhelming, but mild and nice. I like the way it feels on my skin. The scent is So Mild to me, but that's okay.

Wow. You like Special Reserve. Why?

I bought a big bottle of the stuff, sealed at the drug store. No chance to sample it. Got it home, shaved, splashed it on and—-yuck! Smells like an old lady’s perfume. Very sweet, very feminine, a pungent undersmell, and it doesn’t get better. Horrible. I dread having to use it. Now I’m stuck with 7 ounces of the stuff and I’m too cheap to throw it away. Uggghhh!

:tongue_sm:tongue_sm:tongue_sm Sorry!

(But that’s the risk of a blind buy.)

Top Bottom