What's new

observations on decanting Pinaud/Clubman

I decanted my Pinaud/Clubman aftershaves into glass a couple of years ago, but put the emptied plastic bottles aside, thinking one day I'd eventually get around to transferring the labels onto them, since I have used several of the line for years and plan to continue to.

The other day I finally set about peeling off the labels. But upon screwing the caps off the 99% long-empty plastic bottles, powerful blasts of the old Clubman plastic skunk hit me - blech! Squeezing the air from the empty plastic bottles, what was left of the residual fragrance was totally overpowered by the skunk. This was not true at all for the plastic bottles of Skin Bracer and Aqua Velva I had likewise decanted into my extra glass bottles at that same time and also just checked. All the contents of the Pinaud/Clubmans I had decanted a while back smell great now, with no skunk. Apparently it was not necessary for the SB/AV, based on the bottle smell now.

I'm more convinced than ever of the reality of this phenomenon!

I posted this because I thought it's possible that my discovery was uncommon - based on keeping a variety of empty bottles with their caps on for a couple of years, all emptied at the same time.

I'd happened to use SB, my favorite, that morning, so applied the few drops remaining at the bottom of the SB bottle - just as good as ever.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I decanted a bottle of clubman into Amazon dasher bottles years ago, and they still smell amazing. I could not fathom sticking my nose into an old clubman plastic bottle that has been sitting 99% empty for years. You’re a braver man than I. 😃😃😃

Clubman may have changed something recently. I bought their Classic earlier this year and there’s no friendly neighborhood skunk undertones at all. And I’m pretty smell sensitive.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I found Clubman OK but nothing special although it was much improved by decanting into glass. That said, I will not purchase a product that cannot be properly stored in the container in which it is sold. There is no excuse, Floid and Proraso are just as inexpensive, in the UK anyway, and are sold in wonderful glass bottles. I would pick either of those over Clubman any day.

I found Clubman OK but nothing special although it was much improved by decanting into glass. That said, I will not purchase a product that cannot be properly stored in the container in which it is sold. There is no excuse, Floid and Proraso are just as inexpensive, in the UK anyway, and are sold in wonderful glass bottles. I would pick either of those over Clubman any day.
As I said, there’s no skunk undertones in the one I bought earlier this year. I read that they have corrected something in their formulation.

That said, while I love the feeling on my skin after using Clubman more than any other aftershave, it is a little sweeter smelling than what I usually like.

As I said, there’s no skunk undertones in the one I bought earlier this year. I read that they have corrected something in their formulation.

That said, while I love the feeling on my skin after using Clubman more than any other aftershave, it is a little sweeter smelling than what I usually like.
If you can find where you read about that, would you post it? What good news this would be if it's a certainty!

I'm a big proponent of decanting Clubman. Here was my project this morning — from left to right:
  • Clubman
  • Special Reserve
  • Virgin Island Bay Rum
  • Lilac Vegetal
  • Lustray Blue Spice
  • Skin Bracer
  • Old Spice
… Plus one huge mason jar filled with Cholula.

IMG_8554.jpeg

I got carried away.

Decanted them all into original Pinaud bottles.

Some with original caps, some with original labels, and some with new caps, and transferred labels.

These 4 are new juice with original labels and caps.

1712971114296.jpeg

These 7 are all new juice, new caps, and transferred labels.

1712971183393.jpeg

1712971209225.jpeg

These next two are also new juice, new caps and transferred labels.

The other side of these two bottles still have the original Eau De Quinine labels, and I have the original red caps for both in a drawer.
1712971225114.jpeg

Here's some shots of my Pinaud shelf.

You'll also spot some all original bottles with original juice.

1712971285205.jpeg

1712971351326.jpeg

Here's my Pinaud odd and ends, including two behemoth bottles that must've been commercial-use size or store display items or something.

1712971451403.jpeg

That's a great collection.

I had the privilege of trying some Pinaud Bay Rum in a store a few days ago. In a glass tester, mind you.

Now, I don't really know what Bay Rum is actually supposed to smell like.

But a baby skunk drowned in a large vat of rubbing alcohol would probably be too rude of description...

OTOH, I find the Clubman Classic scent very pleasant, if a little too sweet.

I got carried away.

Decanted them all into original Pinaud bottles.

Some with original caps, some with original labels, and some with new caps, and transferred labels.

These 4 are new juice with original labels and caps.

View attachment 1828501

These 7 are all new juice, new caps, and transferred labels.

View attachment 1828502
View attachment 1828503

These next two are also new juice, new caps and transferred labels.

The other side of these two bottles still have the original Eau De Quinine labels, and I have the original red caps for both in a drawer.
View attachment 1828505

Here's some shots of my Pinaud shelf.

You'll also spot some all original bottles with original juice.

View attachment 1828506
View attachment 1828507

Here's my Pinaud odd and ends, including two behemoth bottles that must've been commercial-use size or store display items or something.

View attachment 1828508

WONDERFUL!! :a29::a29::a29:

Top Bottom