What's new

2011 Week of Wonderous Schick Injector!!

No pretty pictures, and no individual shave stories, but I saw the thread and decided it was a great idea. I made it an Injector week.

I went from night to morning shaving, since the Injector makes it simple to get a decent shave fast, IMHO. All the shaves were quick, close, comfortable and it was possible to get a presentable DFS in two quick passes, more like one pass with touch up.

It re-affirmed my prior Injector impressions. They are great shavers, easy to maneuver, easy to get the right blade angle. From a practical standpoint, they are hard to argue with.

They also don't have the same appeal for me in the aesthetics and ergonomics department as the Gillette DE razors do.

I'll never be without a few Injectors and the blades for them, but the look and the heft of my Old Type is calling....

Well, this was a great idea. The Fashion Razor made a great travel razor and reminded me of the great shaves that the Schicks give. I'm picking up some actual Schick blades/dispensers and adding them to my rotation.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
No pretty pictures, and no individual shave stories, but I saw the thread and decided it was a great idea. I made it an Injector week.

I went from night to morning shaving, since the Injector makes it simple to get a decent shave fast, IMHO. All the shaves were quick, close, comfortable and it was possible to get a presentable DFS in two quick passes, more like one pass with touch up.

It re-affirmed my prior Injector impressions. They are great shavers, easy to maneuver, easy to get the right blade angle. From a practical standpoint, they are hard to argue with.

They also don't have the same appeal for me in the aesthetics and ergonomics department as the Gillette DE razors do.

I'll never be without a few Injectors and the blades for them, but the look and the heft of my Old Type is calling....

A question if I may - I fully understand the aesthetics of a Fatboy versus a Schick Grip, in fact that is where the Schicks failed, but would you expand on the ergonomics shortfall? Or is it just the heft? Heavy razors are also appreciated here ..

Gary, it's pretty subjective, but besides heft there's just a general feeling that shaving with an Injector is almost like shaving with a cartridge razor...and that's unfair to the Injector, as it came long before those plastic gizmos, but it does remind me of those years of laboring with multibladed cartridges.

Mentally and logically, the Injectors I've used and continue to shave with are superb, but on a tactile and emotional level I find the DE more satisfying.

Don't try and make sense of what I'm saying, as there isn't any in it, but it's true for me.

Interesting observations. My first razor was a Schick injector and it was my memory of my Father and I shaving with them that led me back to DEs and injectors. There is something to be said for the craftsmanship of a vintage DE but in all honesty, I think my Golden 500 is a finely crafted and beautiful razor.

Gary, it's pretty subjective, but besides heft there's just a general feeling that shaving with an Injector is almost like shaving with a cartridge razor...and that's unfair to the Injector, as it came long before those plastic gizmos, but it does remind me of those years of laboring with multibladed cartridges.

Mentally and logically, the Injectors I've used and continue to shave with are superb, but on a tactile and emotional level I find the DE more satisfying.

Don't try and make sense of what I'm saying, as there isn't any in it, but it's true for me.

This is an interesting discussion. I agree that the aesthetics of the later model injectors leave something to be desired. Personally, however, I feel that the ingenuity, aesthetics, and heft of the very first Schicks leave almost any Gillette in the dust. For me, the early Repeaters (A & B) have an elegance and a cleanliness of line that make many of their contemporary Gillette models seem fussy and old-fashioned in comparison (I'm looking at you, ball-end Old Type!). I'll take a Type A over a Double Ring or Tuckaway any day.
But hey, this is an intensely personal preference. I'm much happier that Repeaters don't command Double Ring prices!:biggrin1:

I just saw this thread for the first time...just finished my first injector shaves over the last 2 weeks.

First week used an all gold Schick razor with unknown age vintage Schick blade...not too good some weepers overall rough shave. Tossed that blade halfway thru second shave and finished with a new chinese Schick blade. Finished the first week with that setup...learned a lot by the 5th shave.

2nd week finishing today - white handled(type G?) Schick razor with another Schick vintage blade...much better getting close to best DE shaves...6 shaves on that blade really got the angle down the last 2 shaves. Blade was starting to rust by the end.

I like these razors sorta like a close shaving Trak2 not up to SE closeness but not bad at all...I'm in for another week too.

Last edited:
Saturday night shave with a new arrival (thanks again Gary!):

Razor: E type
Blade: chinese
Brush: EverReady 50K
Soap: Calani Dubai
AS: Duru

View attachment 161878

The injectors have a huge place in history, the design ultimately defeated the DE. I don't agree that is a good thing, but there isn't a lot I can do about much in this world.

-jim

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Finally had to replace the blade in my G last night after getting better than a weeks worth of DFS's with it! Certainly is a fine shaving system!

Sunday May 8th, 2011: Last Day of Injector Week:

-Lord LP1822 w/ Gillette Super Stainless Blade
-Schick Type E Injector w/ new Vintage Pal Blade
-Omega 20mm Boar Brush
-Queen Charlotte Lavender
-Dickinson's Witch Hazel
-Gillette Cool Wave AS

Decided to take my new Lord DE razor for a spin, so I did the WTG pass with the DE, and the XTG, and touch up pass with the Schick. Nice quality shave all around. :thumbup1:

Sunday 5-8-11

I saved my most cherished injector for the last day. This J2 was PIF'd to me by a fellow Hoosier, Leatherneck, shortly after I joined up.

It's been a fun week seeing some of the fantastic injectors guys have.

Schick J2
CVS/ASR blade
Vintage Williams soap
Vintage Ever-Ready 300 brush
Vintage Shulton Old Spice cologne

proxy.php

Today was my Father's J-1 with a Chinese Schick blade on the second shave, usual VDH soap and brush, witch hazel, Nivea ASB and the Curve cologne. I got a smooth DFS with one weeper. after two passes and touch up. Tomorrow, I am back to my Flairtip.

Last edited:
Injector Week Day 7

Gillette Injector
Chinese Schick Blade
Old Spice Soap
C&E BBB
Vera Wang For Men AS Balm

Hey Tom Like that vintage brush. Did you see what I did to mine? It's exactly like yours, it was in terrible shape. Saturday night was my shave . I used :

Gillette Injector
Provaso Cream
Restored vintage Brush
Aftershave Balm & Moisturizer Unscented (my concoction)
Cologne (My concoction)

Sometimes I will shave every other day.

Injector Week-Sunday, May 8

1954-58 Eversharp Schick I2 //Longs/Personna (Day7)
Omega 10029 Baby Pro Boar
Arko Shave Stick
Arko Nem moisturizer
Arko Aqua AS splash

Well there you have it...Brilliant idea John, I've had a ball...
Today was 7 shaves on this Long's/Personna and still not a hint of a tug, or pull...
Wow, I don't know if I should see just how long it will go, or maybe change it out tomorrow just so I can give this razor a thourough cleaning with tooth-brush and tooth-paste...can't ask for more than 7 great shave from a blade anyway...

BTW...The 20's 30's 40's and 50's Injectors I believe are just dripping with nostalgic goodness, and are just as much fun to me as any DE...I love my DEs,,,,But I just don't see the cartridges corolation..But Topgumby, I can dig what you're saying, and I respect your preferences....I'm just airing my gut feelins aswell...:)

My Dad was part of the "Greatest Generation" and was issued an E Type Black handle Injector in WWII...That satisfies my romantic nostalgia sense-abilities...I dug seeing John Wayne's Super Speed commercial in '58 when I was a kid, But I also dug Cary Grant shaving with an Injector in that War film, I've forgotten the name of, and in '58 I dug seeing my Dad shave with an Eversharp I2...The A,B,and C Repeaters blow everything out the water that Gillette had to offer at that time...ingenious, and shaved great. And just how much fun can a razor be...:)..

Yeah, I love my '52 Black Tip and my '65 Gillette Adjustable, but I don't believe they have anything on my Eversharp Hydro-magic in anyway...If they are lucky, they might keep up with the right blade...:) But if someone prefers a vintage Gillette I'm cool with it...But please don't dog the Schicks as boring or cartridge wanna-be's (not you T-gumby, but I've read other cats)...more like the closest safety razor to a Straight...that thick no-flexable blade...I love it...

So where do we hang out now??? Want to meet back tomorrow at "Schick type E"? or should we start an Injector hang thread?
What do you guys think?? I'm not going to know what to do with myself tomorrow not having these great pics to look forward to....

Last edited:
I have an L-1 on the way in so I'll post some before and after pics when I get it in and cleaned up. That pretty much completes my RAD needs. I have my Father's J-1, a J-3, a Ball End Tech, a Travel Tech, a 55 Flaretip, a birth year Slim and soon I will have the razor I first shaved with.

Here's my first injector shave in a few decades. Today I used a Type E I purchased from another member with an original Schick Krona blade, today P-160 was the soap of choice.

Incredibly close shave. This razor is about as aggressive a razor as any DE I've used so far. Today I learned something, WTG, ATG & XTG are not necessary and may infact cause irritation not found with DE.

Photos will come in a day or two.

Any words of wisdom from the veteran Injector users are welcomed.

Mike

Had to throw in the towel on these for now, no local supply of blades, and the unused vintage ones were killing me. You gents enjoy, I'll try again some day.

Top Bottom