What's new

🎃 🍂 🍁 🍎 🥧 “It’s Fall!” SOTD Theme Week - September 18th, 2023 to September 24th, 2023 🍂 🍁 🍎 🥧 🎃

Status
Not open for further replies.
23 September 2023
DScosmetic S9
Loi Titanium (3)
ZenShave Finest
La Savonnière du Moulin (93)
Dove ASB
23.09.2023.jpg

One more summer shave before heading in to fall scents

SOTD: 09/23/2023

Razor 1: Parker SRB- WTG
Razor 2: Merkur 34G- ATG & Touch-ups
Blade 1: Sharp Stainless, 1st use
Blade 2: Treet Platinum, 2nd use
Brush: Chisel & Hound “Pamplemousse” w/ Shavemac Silvertip
Preshave: Proraso White
Soap: Summer Break Rope Swing
Aftershave: Summer Break Rope Swing
Additional Care: Thayer’s Cucumber WH
Additional Care: Maggard’s Alum Block
Fragrance: Jean Paul Gaultier Le Male EdT
IMG_5944.jpeg

4.5 out of 5 stars

IMG_20230923_230337_632.jpg

IMG_20230923_072150_031.jpg
IMG_20230923_073141_581.jpg
IMG_20230923_073256_119.jpg
IMG_20230923_073226_605.jpg
IMG_20230923_073234_538.jpg

IMG_20230923_073207_455.jpg
IMG_20230923_073157_652.jpg
IMG_20230923_072200_087.jpg

SOTD from India

I have been pretty busy this week because of office work. I had to go up early and come late and hence no time for shaving. So my last 5 shaves have been with cartridges with this non-foaming gel.
I just applied the gel with my fingers and immediately used the cartridge to shave. This is first time I shaved 5 days in a row.

The GOOD: This gel has good slickness. Never once I felt any tugging or lack of lubrication while shaving. Also, the Gillette Guard with its single blade and comb both above and below the blade makes it pretty safe. A safety razor with "real safety" I will say. Makes it very hard to nick/cut yourself. I did 2 -pass shave in 5 minutes with it and cut myself when I tried to do it under 2 minutes. No alum sting.

The BAD: Shaving ain't no fun without a brush, shaving cream/soap and a DE. No fun at all. Just becomes a chore that I have to do. No wonder I ran from wetshaving all my youth.

The UGLY: While Gillette Guard is a good razor, Gillette Guard 3 reminded me why I quit cartridges in 2023. First of all, unlike Mach3, the fixed angle is pretty bad and uncomfortable to hold. 2nd, like Mach3, shaves were not so good. Mach3's 3 blades give not much benefit in the smoothness, speed or even to reduce the number of passes. Same with Guard 3. I still had to do 2 passes and shave slower because the head can't move faster because of 3 blades design. Two Passes with single blade Guard are faster and much better. Alum sting was there with this 3 blade cartridge. Mach3 was the reason I found DE razors and Guard 3 made sure a DE razor was the right choice.

Guard 3's cover says one can do 7 shaves with it. I am wondering how I am gonna do 5 + 14 = 19 shaves (got 2 extra cartridges in the pack)

Attachments

• IMG_20230923_073239_441.jpg
    IMG_20230923_073239_441.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 3
*** AFTERSHAVE: 2 (different) Myrsol Antesol (...!!)
RAZOR: Henson AL 13 +++
BLADE: Treet "Black Beauty" (1st and only)
BRUSH: Omega 10066 boar
SOAP: Vitos "super"
COMMENT: Gents, here is something a little different:
I have "fallen in love" with the Myrsol "Antesol", but discovered a significant discrepancy between different batches of it.
Note the TWO BOTTLES in the picture: to the left the "new" Myrsol bottle, to the right the "old" well known Myrsol bottle with finger-groves. the left one is darker than the right one. The left smells like cloves, the left one like citrus. I find this last part really bizarre, how can the ostensibly same aftershave smell so different from one bottle to the other ...? In fact, I have yet a third bottle that smells even stronger of cloves -- and I am not a big fan of cloves in my aftershave. But I LOVE the kick and postshave feel of the antesol. I wonder if this is a mistake, or just the "way of Myrsol" that I better get used to ...
THE RAZOR/BLADE: I have mixed feelings about the HENSON +++, the way it locks you at a particular angle and "sucks" onto your face. But with a super smooth blade like the Treet "Black Beauty", you can just go to town without much harm done. I actually need to even press a bit (catridge style) to achieve max efficiency.
In sum, weird shave, but I actually ended up with a very nice DFS. I might keep this setup for a little while to see if I can get used to these oddities. Just for the sport. ...

2antesolsnhenson.jpg

I liked your razor. Write about it in more detail
Hello @amateur,

I'm writing the beginning of this reply after writing the end of it. The reason is to be clear up front that I have limited experience with this razor. That said, I have tried to distinguish facts (as I know them to be), experiences, and opinions from each other.

The razor is a butterscotch Enders Speed Shaver. It uses a proprietary carbon steel blade, but it can be adapted to use modern injector format blades. Manufacture of Speed Shavers and the proprietary blades both ceased quite some time ago, but I do not know exactly when.

I am aware two ways of using modern injector blades with this razor. The way I use is to mount the injector blade on an adapter sold by Hendrix Classics & Co. I like this method first, because blade insertion is precise and repeatable, and second, because it is quick and easy for me. OTOH the last time I checked, the adapter cost $30USD, which is something to keep in mind. IIUC the other method involves reusing a single vintage blade as a platform on which to mount an injector blade. The injector blades can be replaced when they become dull, but the single vintage blade is reused. I believe some modifications to the vintage blade must be made for this method to work, and I think blade insertion/removal may require a bit more concentration than with the adapter, but you should double-check those last assertions.

There are some things to keep in mind when shopping for a Speed Shaver. You see Speed Shavers in black on eBay, but the other colors do not appear that often. Listings often include one or more blades with the razor, and listings for blades only appear from time-to-time. You need to be careful, especially if you are buying blades separately, but there are some things you can watch for. The Enders Speed Shaver was manufactured by Durham-Enders Razor Corp., so you will see Durham-Enders Speed Shaver in most listings. OTOH, the only branding on the two razors I own is "ENDERS SPEED" embossed on the handle. The correct blades I have seen always come in a green box marked "DURHAM-ENDERS" in large print and "SPEED BLADES" in smaller print.

I am aware of one other Durham-Enders safety razor and two incompatible blade formats. The DURHAM DUPLEX, aka the "T-Type", was also made by Durham-Enders. The packaging I've seen for both the razor and blades is orange, and marked with "DURHAM ENDERS" and "DURHAM DUPLEX". Finally, there are blades that come in cream colored packs marked "ENDERS" and which are compatible with some older Christy & Buffalo razors (whatever they are). In any case, neither these nor the Duplex blades work in the Speed Shaver.

The one downside that I have run across - and it is big but addressable - results from the fact that like many vintage razors, the Speed Shavers were not manufactured to the strict tolerances achieved by many modern razors. In my limited experience, this has not affected the ability to load the vintage proprietary blades, but it can impact the loading modern injector blades (at least when using the Hendrix adapter; I'm not sure about the other method). With vintage injectors, the blade is inserted on one side of the head and pushed from side to side between the cap and the guard. With Speed Shavers, the (proprietary) blade is inserted at the back of the head and and slid underneath the cap from back to front. As the blade slides forward, blade wings eventually encounter stops, which click in and secure the blade at the designed gap/exposure point. Some Speed Shavers are a smidge too narrow to allow a modern injector blade to slide all the way through to the front. I solve this problem with a Dremel tool by grinding 0.5mm off of each end of an injector blade (Proline P-20s or Chinese Schicks for me). This does not affect the cutting edge. I did a four blade batch, and it was quick, pleasant, and easy enough work for me. However, I do think there are important safety concerns: I always wear eye protection (my glasses) and a cheap disposable face mask, and ensure good ventilation; I don't want any bits of ground razor blade in my eyes, lungs, etc.

Last - because it's personal opinion - but perhaps most importantly: I love shaving with this razor. To begin with, I'm a big injector fan - both the razors and the blade format itself. Next, the shape, handle texture, and weight of the Speed Shaver (34g loaded) place it neck-and-neck with the the handful of most nimble razors I've ever shaved with. Third, although it is subject to change, I have been deliberately shaving with mild razors recently, and the Speed Shaver with the Hendrix mild version adapter excels at efficiency considering how very mild it is: Three out of six shaves were BBS, and the others DFS. That good result is partly due to the clear feedback this razor provides. And finally, truth be told, the fact that the butterscotch Speed Shaver is eye candy is also a big and satisfying plus.

Well, that should get you started @amateur. Searching for "Enders Speed Shaver" on this and other shaving forums will turn up more information.

Last edited:
9/22/23
Green Mountain Soap Co. Balsam Spice
Vie-Long 12705
Schick Eversharp Type G Injector Razor
Parker Injector Razor Blade (6)
Omega Alum Stick
Old Spice
Nivea Maximum Hydration
Montblanc Starwalker
SOTD9-22-23.jpeg

9/23/23
Chiseled Face Sherlock
Art of Shaving in Fine Badger
11/16 Le Grelot #361 "The Lord Barber"
Tony Miller 3" Fast Bridle Strop
Omega Alum Stick
Murray & Lanman Florida Water
Nivea Maximum Hydration
Nautica Pure Discovery
SOTD9-23-23.jpeg

09/24/23 Shave of the Day
Face Wash with Stirling Soap Co. Glacial Unscented - Pre-Shave Soap
Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Son of Honeysuckle Conditioning Shampoo Puck - Summer Seasonal
Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Clown Fruit's Glo CUBE 2.0 Glowing Preshave Soap - Spooky Seasonal Scent
Shannon's Soaps LTD and The Razor Company - The Warrior Shaving Soap Chupacabra Base Dedicated to Kim Gray
AP Shave Co. Shaving Brush with 30mm Cashmere Knot and Ivory Gold Flake Handle
Captain’s Choice Copper Lather Bowl - Obsidian
Phoenix Shaving The META-4 Safety Razor Flare Tip Series Polished Brass Clog Proof with Polished Brass Tip
Feather New Hi-Stainless Blade - 1st Shave
Lancaster Razor Works Ukraine Hope Yellow Black Sheep Shaving Towel with Silver Detachable Logo Tag
Phoenix Shaving No Slip Grip Alum Block with Rubber Grip Band
Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Alum Block Dry Dock System
Thayers Alcohol Free Cucumber Witch Hazel Toner with Aloe Vera
Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Huxley's Better Blend Crisp Spearmint Mentholated Aftershave Cologne
Løthur Grooming - Daily Hydrating Gel Moisturiser
Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Solstice Natural Deodorant - Sport Strength - The Soul of the Desert
Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Official Phoenix Shaving Barber's Mat! The Perfect Addition to Your Shave Station!​
A IMG_4823.jpeg

Hello @amateur,

I'm writing the beginning of this reply after writing the end of it. The reason is to be clear up front that I have limited experience with this razor. That said, I have tried to distinguish facts (as I know them to be), experiences, and opinions from each other.

The razor is a butterscotch Enders Speed Shaver. It uses a proprietary carbon steel blade, but it can be adapted to use modern injector format blades. Manufacture of Speed Shavers and the proprietary blades both ceased quite some time ago, but I do not know exactly when.

I am aware two ways of using modern injector blades with this razor. The way I use is to mount the injector blade on an adapter sold by Hendrix Classics & Co. I like this method first, because blade insertion is precise and repeatable, and second, because it is quick and easy for me. OTOH the last time I checked, the adapter cost $30USD, which is something to keep in mind. IIUC the other method involves reusing a single vintage blade as a platform on which to mount an injector blade. The injector blades can be replaced when they become dull, but the single vintage blade is reused. I believe some modifications to the vintage blade must be made for this method to work, and I think blade insertion/removal may require a bit more concentration than with the adapter, but you should double-check those last assertions.

There are some things to keep in mind when shopping for a Speed Shaver. You see Speed Shavers in black on eBay, but the other colors do not appear that often. Listings often include one or more blades with the razor, and listings for blades only appear from time-to-time. You need to be careful, especially if you are buying blades separately, but there are some things you can watch for. The Enders Speed Shaver was manufactured by Durham-Enders Razor Corp., so you will see Durham-Enders Speed Shaver in most listings. OTOH, the only branding on the two razors I own is "ENDERS SPEED" embossed on the handle. The correct blades I have seen always come in a green box marked "DURHAM-ENDERS" in large print and "SPEED BLADES" in smaller print.

I am aware of one other Durham-Enders safety razor and two incompatible blade formats. The DURHAM DUPLEX, aka the "T-Type", was also made by Durham-Enders. The packaging I've seen for both the razor and blades is orange, and marked with "DURHAM ENDERS" and "DURHAM DUPLEX". Finally, there are blades that come in cream colored packs marked "ENDERS" and which are compatible with some older Christy & Buffalo razors (whatever they are). In any case, neither these nor the Duplex blades work in the Speed Shaver.

The one downside that I have run across - and it is big but addressable - results from the fact that like many vintage razors, the Speed Shavers were not manufactured to the strict tolerances achieved by many modern razors. In my limited experience, this has not affected the ability to load the vintage proprietary blades, but it can impact the loading modern injector blades (at least when using the Hendrix adapter; I'm not sure about the other method). With vintage injectors, the blade is inserted on one side of the head and pushed from side to side between the cap and the guard. With Speed Shavers, the (proprietary) blade is inserted at the back of the head and and slid underneath the cap from back to front. As the blade slides forward, blade wings eventually encounter stops, which click in and secure the blade at the designed gap/exposure point. Some Speed Shavers are a smidge too narrow to allow a modern injector blade to slide all the way through to the front. I solve this problem with a Dremel tool by grinding 0.5mm off of each end of an injector blade (Proline P-20s or Chinese Schicks for me). This does not affect the cutting edge. I did a four blade batch, and it was quick, pleasant, and easy enough work for me. However, I do think there are important safety concerns: I always wear eye protection (my glasses) and a cheap disposable face mask, and ensure good ventilation; I don't want any bits of ground razor blade in my eyes, lungs, etc.

Last - because it's personal opinion - but perhaps most importantly: I love shaving with this razor. To begin with, I'm a big injector fan - both the razors and the blade format itself. Next, the shape, handle texture, and weight of the Speed Shaver (34g loaded) place it neck-and-neck with the the handful of most nimble razors I've ever shaved with. Third, although it is subject to change, I have been deliberately shaving with mild razors recently, and the Speed Shaver with the Hendrix mild version adapter excels at efficiency considering how very mild it is: Three out of six shaves were BBS, and the others DFS. That good result is partly due to the clear feedback this razor provides. And finally, truth be told, the fact that the butterscotch Speed Shaver is eye candy is also a big and satisfying plus.

Well, that should get you started @amateur. Searching for "Enders Speed Shaver" on this and other shaving forums will turn up more information.
Greetings to you. I didn't expect such a detailed answer to my short question. And I learned a lot of new and interesting things for myself. Maybe I'll try a similar razor someday, too. Although it is difficult to buy. Thank you.

SOTD: 24th September 2023.

10.jpg

Shaving Recipe for today.

Prep: Warm shower:/Nivea Men Power 24H Fresh Effect Shower Gel.

Pre:
Cold wet flannel to my face & head.
Wrights Coal Tar Bar Soap.
Brush: Yaqi 26mm Rainbow Brown Synthetic. (Faux Horse)
Face Lather.
Lather: Ach Brito Mogno Shaving soap.
Blade: Modified GEM PTFE S/S. (D1)
Razor: Valet Auto Strop VC1. 1922-1928

Cold water face wash with brush squeezing's, Cold Water Face Rinse. /Homemade (~Autumn/Winter mix~) peppermint lavender, eucalyptus, + Tea Tree essential Oils Mixed Together With 200ml of Care+Witch Hazel./Davidoff Cool Water ASL./Aloe Vera Cooling Gel.

Greetings,

The valet vc1 is my most infrequently used vintage SE razor....I have mentioned before the valet vc1 looks aggressive but IMHO it's quite mild however, that's not to say it isn't efficient enough, like the Gem Featherweight it will mow through stubble with effortless ease.....It took me a few shaves to adjust to this mild yet efficient vintage shaving tool, after that it was happy shaves.

Finishing the shave off a with a few small dollops of Aloe Vera Cooling Gel.

My face is feeling super smooth & smelling divine. 😉

Keep safe and enjoy your Sunday ladies & gentlemen. 😎

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
IMG_7488.jpeg

1) China: Brush Yaqi Rainbow No 26 Synthetic Horsehair.
2) Italy: Shaving Cream Palmolive.
3) England: Razor Gillette Flat Bottom Tech.
4) China: Razor Blade Pink/Blue Flying Eagle.
5) France: Alum Block Osma.
6) Australia: Aftershave Balm Natio For Men Calming Aftershave Balm.
7) USA: EDT Vera Wang For Men.
8) USA: Lather Bowl Captain’s Choice Copper Lather Bowl.

SOTD 20230924
Prep: Warm shower
Prep: Razorock pre barba
Bowl: Antique wooden bowl
Brush: Lorenzi Milano
Soap: Antica Aguzzeria del Cavallo Bologna. Zagara
Razor: Wolfman WR2 1.25 SB TI Darwin
Blade: Astra Super Platinum
AS: SMN Tabacco toscano

proxy.php

Best Regards
Marco