What's new

La Faulx by Atelier Durdan Pass Around…..

Great comparison between the 3 levels of La Faulx. For me when comparing my Ti++ vs Ss+ vs Wr4 .86 Ti.

+ Medium Ss: Smoothness 9.5, efficiency 7, blade feel 3
++ Superior Ti: Smoothness 9, efficiency 8.5, blade feel 4
Wr4 Ti: Smoothness 8, efficiency 10, blade feel 6
Thx. Seems like we are similar in our grading. Appreciate the WR4 info. I’ve been wondering about that one, but currently don’t have one. The .86 would be a bit much for me.

Today Classic Polished :c18:
proxy.php

:c1:

I received my La Faulx ++ base plate yesterday and gave it a spin this morning. Wow is all I can say. So now I have the Classic, +, and ++ plates (expensive way to find out what I like best) and each is a step up in efficiency. I didn't notice much difference in smoothness between the Classic and + plates, but the ++ plate does lose a little smoothness as there is more perceived blade feel. It is still very smooth, but it does bring more blade feel into the equation.

I used a new Kai Mild and was rewarded with one of the best shaves I've ever had. The ++ has the efficiency I was hoping for and it seems equal to the Stando Chors DE I got a week or so back that has quickly taken top honors on my DE front. As I mentioned above, the ++ does come with some blade feel (similar to Yates H) but is remains easy on the skin, but not quite as smooth as the Classic or +. My face feels silky smooth at the moment. Let's see how long the shave lasts. Hopefully I'll be able to use the ++ on a daily basis....time will tell.

So for anyone wondering how all the plates stack up, here's my grading scale....of course YMMV.

Classic: Smoothness 10, efficiency 5, blade feel 0
+ Medium: Smoothness 9.5, efficiency 7, blade feel 2
++ Superior: Smoothness 8, efficiency 9, blade feel 4

I feel like there is an equal step up in efficiency with each plate which I've tried to illustrate. The smoothness of the La Faulx is off the charts as you all know so I graded the Classic and Medium about as high as I can as they are the smoothest I've ever encountered. The Superior smoothness drops a touch, but it is still as smooth or smoother than most of my other razors. I can see myself using the + and ++ as they provide the results I like. The Classic is not quite efficient enough so doubtful I'll be using that one very often.

Hello,

Thank you for all these details! I would like to know if the ++ plate is as smooth as the overlander (it is a reference razor for me in term of smoothness among the razors I own).

Thank you!

Hello,

Thank you for all these details! I would like to know if the ++ plate is as smooth as the overlander (it is a reference razor for me in term of smoothness among the razors I own).

Thank you!
I would argue the classic plate is Overlander smooth. I just had a fantastic shave with a Feather Pro Super in it, which brings out the best of the plate for me (much like a Feather or similarly sharp blade brings out the best of the Overlander).

1000017547.jpg

I want a titanium La Faulx. I don't know why, since I love my brass version, but I want one.

I received my La Faulx ++ base plate yesterday and gave it a spin this morning. Wow is all I can say. So now I have the Classic, +, and ++ plates (expensive way to find out what I like best) and each is a step up in efficiency. I didn't notice much difference in smoothness between the Classic and + plates, but the ++ plate does lose a little smoothness as there is more perceived blade feel. It is still very smooth, but it does bring more blade feel into the equation.

I used a new Kai Mild and was rewarded with one of the best shaves I've ever had. The ++ has the efficiency I was hoping for and it seems equal to the Stando Chors DE I got a week or so back that has quickly taken top honors on my DE front. As I mentioned above, the ++ does come with some blade feel (similar to Yates H) but is remains easy on the skin, but not quite as smooth as the Classic or +. My face feels silky smooth at the moment. Let's see how long the shave lasts. Hopefully I'll be able to use the ++ on a daily basis....time will tell.

So for anyone wondering how all the plates stack up, here's my grading scale....of course YMMV.

Classic: Smoothness 10, efficiency 5, blade feel 0
+ Medium: Smoothness 9.5, efficiency 7, blade feel 2
++ Superior: Smoothness 8, efficiency 9, blade feel 4

I feel like there is an equal step up in efficiency with each plate which I've tried to illustrate. The smoothness of the La Faulx is off the charts as you all know so I graded the Classic and Medium about as high as I can as they are the smoothest I've ever encountered. The Superior smoothness drops a touch, but it is still as smooth or smoother than most of my other razors. I can see myself using the + and ++ as they provide the results I like. The Classic is not quite efficient enough so doubtful I'll be using that one very often.

Are the different base plates marked for easy identification? I think I saw a picture of a Medium and I didn't see any other markings on it.

Top Bottom