What's new

Steep Angle Shavers Alliance

I have been having such good shaves with the steep method and found out the hard way that - you can still definitely go overboard with the pressure!!

After, all of a sudden, having two or three shaves with some razor burn and red areas, even though the shave was otherwise great, I realized that I pushed "Riding the Guard" with pressure past it's limits.

I haven't had razor burn in a while, even when riding the cap.

So, after waiting a couple of days for my face to heal, I applied the Palmolive, backed off the pressure again, and I'm happy with one of the best DFS's I've ever had!
I also started shaving steep too. I always rode the cap because it felt natural to me and thought riding the guard is more of a scraping motion than cutting. Boy was I wrong. Been getting better shaves lately. I just shaved with a Schick today that I used to ride that cap but It scraped my face in the past so I stopped using it. But today I rode the guard and lifted the handle till the blade properly engaged. What a darn good and effertless shave I got. I also looked at an old Schick commercial and the man is shaving exactly like I did today. Logically speaking it makes sense. What would be the point of a guard on a razor if it really isn't guarding anything by riding the cap? That thought creeped in on me recently when I started wet shaving again after ditching the beard for a while. It doesn't make sense the guard is there to help you alighn the blade properly and to stretch the skin before the blade engages the hairs. I'm starting to think this riding the cap stuff must have been something new and never a technique intended by the engineers that made these razors. There was an old Gillette tech shaving manual that I saw in the forums that specifically say that the guard is there to stretch the skin to make a better cut. Now how can the razor do that when you ride the cap? Simple it can't. I really need to find that photo. If anyone has it please share! 🙏

It happens to be on the page before this one 😀
(If that is the one that you were thinking about)
Yup that's the one! After seeing that all my hesitation went away from trying steep angle. It's just facts and historical truth on the steep shavers side 😆 But honestly that diagram makes complete sense to me. Again what the point of the guard if it really isn't guarding anything by riding the cap? I'm not going to say it doesn't work for a lot of guys but just a few shaves after adopting this technique has gotten me more consistent and better shaves.

There was an old Gillette tech shaving manual that I saw in the forums that specifically say that the guard is there to stretch the skin to make a better cut.
There are many references and photos on this thread Jhona; I'm guessing you haven't read it all. :laugh: :wink2:

Here's an advertising pic for you:
Tech-4-Features-Ad.2022-04-05.jpg

There are many references and photos on this thread Jhona; I'm guessing you haven't read it all. :laugh: :wink2:

View attachment 1730909

View attachment 1730909
Forgive me it's a 39 page post at this point lol. But yes I have seen this. Seeing this makes me feel like a fool this whole time! I actually use to shave with a devette because that's what my father gave me and what he used. He would buy a cheapo de razor that looked like a knock off tech and would not use the guard. My old man has the skin of an alligator and would not get any irritation. I actually gave him some feather blades and he loved it 😬. So yeah I essentially learned early on to shave shallow because you definitely have to shave like that with a devette. I actually still have the razor actually with the guard.

Attachments

• 20231010_204434.jpg
    20231010_204434.jpg
    540.3 KB · Views: 4
Forgive me it's a 39 page post at this point lol. But yes I have seen this. Seeing this makes me feel like a fool this whole time! I actually use to shave with a devette because that's what my father gave me and what he used. He would buy a cheapo de razor that looked like a knock off tech and would not use the guard. My old man has the skin of an alligator and would not get any irritation. I actually gave him some feather blades and he loved it 😬. So yeah I essentially learned early on to shave shallow because you definitely have to shave like that with a devette. I actually still have the razor actually with the guard.
I shave STEEP with my DEvette:
Tech-Devette+Feather-2_Bright30.jpg

I call it "The Coach." :wink2:

I've never used a Gem Razor.
WEAK! Come on man you gotta get with it. What do you mean you haven't shaved with the handy dandy paint scraper blade razors?!?! Whenever you get the itch to try one my favorite is the Ever-Ready 1924. Can be had for cheap. Never pay more than 20-30 bucks for one unless its in near mint condition.

s-l1600.jpg

WEAK! Come on man you gotta get with it. What do you mean you haven't shaved with the handy dandy paint scraper blade razors?!?! Whenever you get the itch to try one my favorite is the Ever-Ready 1924. Can be had for cheap. Never pay more than 20-30 bucks for one unless its in near mint condition.

View attachment 1731392
I've got a few different ones and I'll have to admit that I would be terrified to shave steep with one lol

There's no way I'm going to try one of them (cartridge razor predecessors). This is due to the blade stops which prevent accurate trimming and edging of sideburns and mustache. :001_tt2:

There's no way I'm going to try one of them (cartridge razor predecessors). This is due to the blade stops which prevent accurate trimming and edging of sideburns and mustache. :001_tt2:
Those things came before DE RAZORS YOU INSOLENT BLASPHEMER! IF ANYTHING DE RAZORS ARE THE PREDECESSOR TO CARTRIDGE! TAKE IT BACK! The Gem Razors are the side evolution of the straight razor. Those dinky/thin two sided blade thingies are direct inspiration to 5 sides scrapers we call cartridges!

P.S I can line up my side burns and moustache just fine with a GEM. You just have to as the kids say "GIT GUD".

Those things came before DE RAZORS YOU INSOLENT BLASPHEMER! IF ANYTHING DE RAZORS ARE THE PREDECESSOR TO CARTRIDGE! TAKE IT BACK! The Gem Razors are the side evolution of the straight razor. Those dinky/thin two sided blade thingies are direct inspiration to 5 sides scrapers we call cartridges!

P.S I can line up my side burns and moustache just fine with a GEM. You just have to as the kids say "GIT GUD".
:laugh: Let's not get mad at each other. There's nothing wrong with different opinions (YMMV stuff). 🏳️

BTW, if I had a Gem (or similar) Razor I wouldn't use it due to it being so ugly. :devil:

:laugh: Let's not get mad at each other. There's nothing wrong with different opinions (YMMV stuff). 🏳️

BTW, if I had a Gem (or similar) Razor I wouldn't use it due to it being so ugly. :devil:
Alright that tears it you've gone too far! You just havnt been innitated to the truth of Gem style Razors! Why do you think there are only 3 blade options for Gem Razors? Because as the great and legendery Todd Howard said "It just works". We dont need all these options for blades because we dont need all the "teflon,stainless,smooth comfort,Irididium infused" blah blah blah coatings to compensate for an inferior shaving tool! Gems are simple just slap a blade in it and go to town. YMMV is a myth to keep these forums alive! Gems work for everyone if they just gave it a chance! :a30::001_tt2:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Pretty much all of my AC and DE shaves are SASA shaves. :cool:

Sunday 20231112
Steep Angle Shaving Alliance (SASA)
20231111_140528~2.jpg

Razor: Colonial Razors The General V2 (Rosseforp GTC 25g Handle)
Blade: Schick Proline P (5)

20231112_200100~2.jpg

Brush: Rudy Vey 2022 B&B Contributors Brush (Mühle 25mm STF knot)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Martin de Candre Nature
Aftershave: Clubman Pinaud Lilac Vegetal

Superb SASA shave! :cool:

Top Bottom