What's new

Recommend Some Vintage Razors

Well, friends...the trigger has been pulled.

1951_SS.png

I don't normally count myself among the sentimental but for this initial vintage purchase I couldn't help myself.

This is a 1951 40s-style Super Speed that I just snagged from the 'Bay. The pic is from the posting. Better images to follow once received.

Why this one? Well, first and foremost, 1951 is the birth year of the person most dear to me...my mom. She endured quite a lot of hardship to bring me into this world and to keep me on the right path thereafter. Like many grown children with lives of their own, I don't have my mom top of mind near often enough and this should go some way toward remedying that injustice. In fact, I should ring her up once I'm done writing this.

It should go without saying that this is merely the first step on my vintage adventure. I fully intend to build an arsenal of assorted classics by the time I'm through. So, if this choice wasn't your suggestion...be not dismayed. I'm certain to own them all at some point. Many thanks to all who have taken the time to post their advice.

And for those who haven't chimed in yet, please do. I am an utter novice when it comes to vintage shaving and will be happy to benefit from your experience.

If you like that then you’re probably going to want a flair tip variant, probably post 1962 with the flatter doors or even an english rocket, then an adjustable, and maybe an etched cap post war tech.

You have enough posts here that I’d ask in the BST for any specific models that ring your fancy prior to eBay. There’s enough crazies like me that are willing to take pictures and have ultrasonic cleaners you might be able to work a good deal (considering lack of eBay fees and anything other fees).

If you like that then you’re probably going to want a flair tip variant, probably post 1962 with the flatter doors or even an english rocket, then an adjustable, and maybe an etched cap post war tech.

You have enough posts here that I’d ask in the BST for any specific models that ring your fancy prior to eBay. There’s enough crazies like me that are willing to take pictures and have ultrasonic cleaners you might be able to work a good deal (considering lack of eBay fees and anything other fees).

Appreciate the suggestions and the info on BST. You guys are steering me right, as usual. :thumbup1:

As for budget, I'd prefer to keep individual purchases below $100 but am not opposed to exceeding that limit for multiple items.
With that kind of budget your question has the potential to be the most replied to thread of the year!

A8AA7F62-4BE3-4153-9711-09350E26A28F.jpeg

Anyway all have already given excellent suggestions. I just want to chime in for European vintages such as the Swedish Swing and Matador - both well below $100 - in fact for that money you can get both including shipping. Or Dutch razors such as Gladweg.

I have already seen a couple appear on local sites so let me know and I can set you up.

Guido

With that kind of budget your question has the potential to be the most replied to thread of the year!

Yes! My diabolical plan begins to take shape...:devil:

But, seriously..very interesting suggestions. Somehow, I always forget about the Euro vintage. Choices abound, that is for certain.

Molto grazie, my friend.

I’ve started on vintages with a 40s superspeed and a couple of techs. Then a red tip was added and a British aristocrat.

Finally, the last one was a slim.

I love them all, but the tech and the aristocrat were the most used.

Now it’s the slim. It was a nice surprise as I was expecting it to be more of the same, compared the the other 2 TTO’s.

It wasn’t, the slim feels and shaves differently.

I wish I had pulled the trigger earlier.

All great posts.

My list would be

At least one old type with a thin cap.
My choices would be a Bulldog that has a thicker barber pole handle and/or a big fellow with a thicker deeper knurled handle and longer.

At least one new or new improved. I really like the NEW short comb. If you want milder feel then the long comb.

An open comb TTO. I'd get one of these and go with the NEW short comb. The British one I have is very similar in feel to the NEW long comb but doesn't clog on me.

A '49-'50 solid bar TTO Brit aristocrat or US executive. You're welcome.

'46-47 milord or ranger tech no notch

A super speed of your liking.

A pre-war tech and a flat bottom tech. I sooooo much want a hybrid tech still.

A star 100

An adjustable. I love the toggles. Fats are good. Slims are cheaper and I like the head on it better then the fatboy. Super adjustable 109 is to long for my liking but could be just what you want.

Bonus would be an eclipse red ring, barbasol floating head, and a grand shave king. And for fun a segal.

Regarding plating...should I even bother with buying re-plated razors or stick to original finishes? How much does a re-plate alter the shave? I'm definitely leaning a certain way but want to hear what you gents have to say.

I know this has been answered but I'll say yes and no.

Replating very much looks amazing. I've bought a few replated razors and no regrets doing so. I've also bought some well worn and tarnished beauties too and shave just as great with them too. You'll get much better deals if you don't care about the plating.

Here's one of my most recent vintage purchases. A 1908 single ring standard with a beautiful tarnish to it. Great shave. Paid $2 I think it was for it.
full

'36 Brit Aristocrat with plating worn down. It's a dream to shave with.

full

And then there's those that I bought already replated like my Canadian Bulldog. Looks amazing but shaves just as well as that 1908 and costs like 80 times as much.
full

Last edited:
@jason2, thx much for that breakdown. Great pics as well!

There seems to be a consensus forming and I'm inclined to agree.

For sure, taking a blanket approach doesn't seem useful as there is as much appeal in a well-worn patina as in a high quality re-plating.

Seems like the thing to do is evaluate each piece on it's own merits and try to choose the best option in that particular instance.

And...here it is! One day early but I'm not complaining. ;)

It is clearly not perfect but in far better condition than most 72 year old objects you're likely to see. I am beyond pleased.

I think what I'm struck by most is how tiny it is. Pictures are one thing but to have it in hand is quite another. The handle is shorter and much thinner than anything I currently have in my den. Despite that, it feels extremely well-balanced.

Can't wait to give it a go tonight. 🥳

51SSb.jpg

51SSc.jpg

51SSd.jpg

51SSe.jpg

51SSf.jpg

Excellent!

That was my initial impression when I received my first vintage. Compared to how everything is supersized these days with the bigger-and-heavier-the-better mindset of the 21st century, things were very different back then. The Gillette Tech you have heard a lot about is even more tiny but size is not indicative of its heavyweight performance. Curious to hear about your experience shaving with it. Enjoy.

Excellent!

That was my initial impression when I received my first vintage. Compared to how everything is supersized these days with the bigger-and-heavier-the-better mindset of the 21st century, things were very different back then. The Gillette Tech you have heard a lot about is even more tiny but size is not indicative of its heavyweight performance. Curious to hear about your experience shaving with it. Enjoy.

It is very interesting, the differences in products from one era to another. One of the reasons I'm excited to keep this vintage journey going!

Looks perfect to me! It opens and it closes. It will shave.

Trust, I haven't the faintest doubt. ;)

I really am quite pleased with it and very glad to have a genuine piece of shaving history in hand.

Top Bottom