What's new

Pick my sports sedan

I haven't driven one yet. I was thinking about buying one a couple years ago, but I'm guessing it's a bit small. I also would prefer a 6-cylinder.

I've always though the TSX to be a nice little 'scrappy' car, I just cant see it in the same league as the others mentioned. I think of it more as the "Accord Sport" or something.

Of those that you listed, I'd recommend the Infiniti G37 sedan... nicely appointed inside and out, fairly good performance, and incredible reliability. They are excellent cars.

That being said, in the category/price range, one car that you can't ignore is the new Pontiac G8 GXP... I know, it is not the greatest looking car on the outside, and judging by your list you aren't the biggest domestic fan. Even so, the performance is astounding, and should be quite reliable/cheap to own as well. Many automotive magazines are calling it the "BMW M5 for the common man". It's worth looking into and driving it at least...

Haha, it's funny how this thread starts with $30K preowned 3series/G37s, evolves to AMG Mercedes and has now morphed to $100K+ Maseratis, haha

Of those that you listed, I'd recommend the Infiniti G37 sedan... nicely appointed inside and out, fairly good performance, and incredible reliability. They are excellent cars.

That being said, in the category/price range, one car that you can't ignore is the new Pontiac G8 GXP... I know, it is not the greatest looking car on the outside, and judging by your list you aren't the biggest domestic fan. Even so, the performance is astounding, and should be quite reliable/cheap to own as well. Many automotive magazines are calling it the "BMW M5 for the common man". It's worth looking into and driving it at least...

I've been trying not to look at that car. Everything I read is how good it is.

While I know much of it is about personal taste, I would never consider comparing an Audi to a Hyundai.

I don't want to either, but every time I look at the hood line, I think Tiburon.

Personally I like the new Maserati's but then I'm retired and that's not gonna happen.

I like them as well, but like you said, that's not going to happen.

OK, so I'm in the market for a car this year. No rush, but it's time to find something new. I have a connection that can get me most anything for about half blue book, so I'm going used late model. I want a sports sedan and am limiting it to 2006 and newer. Performance and reliability are very important. Here are some things I've been considering.

BMW 330i / 335i - I love the performance, but I'm worried about reliability. The handling has me leaning this way even though I know it will be in the shop more often.

Lexus IS - The reviews are not kind to it.

Infiniti G35/G37- I think the performance is good, but I'm not sold on the styling of the G35 sedan. The G37 is better. I really like the coupe stylying, but think I want 4 doors. I'm getting old. :rolleyes:

Acura TL - I've long thought the TL would be my car. Hate the new styling, but since I'd be going for something in the '07-'08 years, I'd be ok. Considering the S-Type if I can find it. I wish it had RWD or AWD (like the new SH-AWD), though. I also wish it looked a bit smaller.

Audi -Not really considering anything Audi because while I love the interior, I'm not thrilled with outside styling. They're also slower than they should be.

Subaru - I have many friends that tell me this is a brainless decision and Subaru all the way. I know they all beat on their cars relentlessly, but I have a hard time considering them. The stlying has never set well with me.

I think it's between the G35/G37 and the 330/335.

Thoughts?

I like them all, but the Infiniti M35 would be my choice. It's not as cheap as the G35, but not as much as the M45, which I drool over.

But if I could afford it, I would be driving something like the Caddy STSv or CTSv. Or you could save some dough, get yourself a Dodge Charger SRT8, put a supercharger in it, and put true dual exhaust system on it with a cold air intake. Get yourself something aggressive with big brass balls, say about 550-600 hp. :)

Drive them!!

On paper, they all have their advantages. Though, once driven, you will find some without a soul. I might be a bit biased, but you mentioned reliability a factor with the Bimmer. They are very reliable, it is just that once fixed, it is not cheap. See if you can find a model that someone purchased as a CPO. It transfers to you!

Of course I am a 325i Sport Driver myself!! Good Luck. The search is half the fun.

You are shopping in the same market that I was in. I actually owned a G35s that I loved, but it was a bit uncomfortable for me when driving long distances which is important for me because I drive 35k to 45k miles per year. After looking and doing a ton of research I decided to jump up to the Lexus GS 350 & here was my reasoning.

Infinity G35: Not comfortable enough for me to drive long distances (out)
Infinity M35: Too heavy and bad on MPG for me, and I had a buddy with one that was littered with problems. I don't think that is common, but it happened (out)
BMW 335: Not too comfortable, bad maintenance experiences in my past, not worth the money IMO (out)
BMW 5series: Almost bought it, but I was afraid of the comfort factor
Lexus Is250: too small (out)
Lexus Gs350: Extremely comfortable, drives almost as well as the BMW, MPG around 28 mpg (of course YMMV :biggrin:), great sound system, Lexus dependability is unmatched IMO. This is their higher end sports car, and it is very fun to drive. I bought it last October and I have 21k miles on it to date. I would buy it again in a minute (even though it is significantly higher than I was wanting to go), and I have started to think that I may never buy another make again... But I'm not sure :tongue:

I like them all, but the Infiniti M35 would be my choice. It's not as cheap as the G35, but not as much as the M45, which I drool over.

But if I could afford it, I would be driving something like the Caddy STSv or CTSv. Or you could save some dough, get yourself a Dodge Charger SRT8, put a supercharger in it, and put true dual exhaust system on it with a cold air intake. Get yourself something aggressive with big brass balls, say about 550-600 hp. :)

My buddy bought that Charger and dropped a lot of money in aftermarket stuff... Told me he wanted to sell it the other day :rolleyes: Go figure

CTSv is a beast, but I always see OLD women driving the normal CTS, and I just can't see myself in a car that looks so similar to what has become an old lady car in my eyes (and yes, I am aware that the CTSv is a far cry from an old woman car, but I did see a 60+ year old lady driving one in Austin)

My buddy bought that Charger and dropped a lot of money in aftermarket stuff... Told me he wanted to sell it the other day :rolleyes: Go figure

CTSv is a beast, but I always see OLD women driving the normal CTS, and I just can't see myself in a car that looks so similar to what has become an old lady car in my eyes (and yes, I am aware that the CTSv is a far cry from an old woman car, but I did see a 60+ year old lady driving one in Austin)

That's odd. I love the SRT-8 models. Awesome beasts of cars. And the CTSv is an old woman's car? I haven't seen too many here in Virginia, but the older folks drive the older DTS models from what I've seen.

Another great sports sedan that costs an arm and a leg would be the Masserati Quotroporte. Haven't seen any of those here, either.

That's odd. I love the SRT-8 models. Awesome beasts of cars. And the CTSv is an old woman's car? I haven't seen too many here in Virginia, but the older folks drive the older DTS models from what I've seen.

Another great sports sedan that costs an arm and a leg would be the Masserati Quotroporte. Haven't seen any of those here, either.

If you reread my post, I specifically said it is a far cry from an old woman's car... But I've seen several old women driving them :lol:

I think I would have the BMW. We've had 4 or 5 3 series in my family and they have all been superb - no reliabilty issues at all. You get the bomb proof BMW warrenty anyway (at least it's bomb proof in europe)

My dad currently has an SLK and my mum has an A class - so not totally biased. I just think the golden age of Mercedes build quality has long since passed. The E types are very nice though.

Mind you, if I were you I'd be buying a cheapo sedan and a two seater convertible - but that's just me.

I think I would have the BMW. We've had 4 or 5 3 series in my family and they have all been superb - no reliabilty issues at all. You get the bomb proof BMW warrenty anyway (at least it's bomb proof in europe)

My dad currently has an SLK and my mum has an A class - so not totally biased. I just think the golden age of Mercedes build quality has long since passed. The E types are very nice though.

Mind you, if I were you I'd be buying a cheapo sedan and a two seater convertible - but that's just me.

I already posed the two car solution and my wife gave me "the look".

Personal preference, but I'm not all that impressed with the G35's interior. I have a couple of friends that LOVE their TLs. I know you're more looking for sporty and at the A4, but FWIW I have another friend that loves his A6 4.2. I have no experience with the Lexus or BMWs.

I didn't read all of the responses, but in case it wasn't mentioned, I believe the TSX is smaller than the TL.

Have some fun test driving though :)

Last edited:
I've had a 330i 4-dr AT for 8 years. Very reliable, although repairs are expensive. Also a great combination of agility and comfort. The size is what it is. It's fine for me. The new 3 Series is slightly bigger.

Recently, I went shopping to see about replacing it, and I decided that the new BMWs (1-Series and 3-Series) are not that much better than mine. I felt about the same way about the MB C class. The Lexus IS didn't do much for me. So I'm not replacing it.

One point you might consider is that all the new BMWs use run flat tires. There's not even a well for a spare tire in the trunk. I don't know if this is good or bad, but it would give me pause. The tires make a huge difference in the perfomance and comfort with my car.

Personal preference, but I'm not all that impressed with the G35's interior. I have a couple of friends that LOVE their TLs. I know you're more looking for sporty and at the A4, but FWIW I have another friend that loves his A6 4.2. I have no experience with the Lexus or BMWs.

I didn't read all of the responses, but in case it wasn't mentioned, I believe the TSX is smaller than the TL.

Have some fun test driving though :)

The TSX is a Honda Accord in Europe.

Top Bottom