What's new

Pick my sports sedan

Personal preference, but I'm not all that impressed with the G35's interior. I have a couple of friends that LOVE their TLs. I know you're more looking for sporty and at the A4, but FWIW I have another friend that loves his A6 4.2. I have no experience with the Lexus or BMWs.

I didn't read all of the responses, but in case it wasn't mentioned, I believe the TSX is smaller than the TL.

Have some fun test driving though :)

Yes, the TL is on the list. But not the current model. I think it's atrocious and I've seen some horrible reviews.

First test drives this weekend.

I've had a 330i 4-dr AT for 8 years. Very reliable, although repairs are expensive. Also a great combination of agility and comfort. The size is what it is. It's fine for me. The new 3 Series is slightly bigger.

Recently, I went shopping to see about replacing it, and I decided that the new BMWs (1-Series and 3-Series) are not that much better than mine. I felt about the same way about the MB C class. The Lexus IS didn't do much for me. So I'm not replacing it.

One point you might consider is that all the new BMWs use run flat tires. There's not even a well for a spare tire in the trunk. I don't know if this is good or bad, but it would give me pause. The tires make a huge difference in the perfomance and comfort with my car.

I saw they all have run flats now. I guess I'll have to drive them and see if there's anything wrong with them.

What about VW CC. I am strongly leaning towards one of these.

Cheers,
David

I will say they are attractive. After owning a VW back in college, I'm not eager to try the whole VW thing again.

I would say BMW. I have a 1998 M3 w/ 165,000 miles on it. Still drives like it's almost new. I had to have it towed only one time, it was because the factory battery died. The engine is solid, I think it will last me another 10 years. As far as maintenance, I take it to the dealer and have them change oil and filters for the minor service, and spark plugs on top of it for the major service, that's really all the maintenance. I even bring them the Mobil 1. So my maintenance costs are real low $300 vs $900 for major service. I only get what I need and don't get the package. If you are a BMW Car Club member, you get 15% off parts. Also a nice rebate if you buy a new car after being a member for a year. I have a timing chain:biggrin: so no need to change it.

Very nice looking car. Does it come with the AMG engine from the CLS55 AMG? If so, that's frakkin hot, man.

Haha. I think the OP put that pic up to show the similarities in design between the VW CC and the MB CLS. The VW is either a 2.0 turbo 4cylinder or a 3.6L V6.

Would I be shot down for suggesting something a little unusual? How about the Hyundai Genesis? Rear wheel drive fun with loads of gadgets if thats your thing, and plenty of power. Its actually getting closer and possibly even past the 3 series in some aspects. They certainly aren't what they used to be. I've had some experience with a used 3 series, it didn't go well. There were some electrical gremlins that didn't show up until later on, and then because it couldn't be fixed, the car was sold. Best of luck with whatever you get!

I'd love to have that Audi RS-4. Sex on wheels.

Would I be shot down for suggesting something a little unusual? How about the Hyundai Genesis? Rear wheel drive fun with loads of gadgets if thats your thing, and plenty of power. Its actually getting closer and possibly even past the 3 series in some aspects. They certainly aren't what they used to be. I've had some experience with a used 3 series, it didn't go well. There were some electrical gremlins that didn't show up until later on, and then because it couldn't be fixed, the car was sold. Best of luck with whatever you get!

I'd love to have that Audi RS-4. Sex on wheels.

As a long time MB guy, I'll admit I like the Genesis so far. The OP is looking for more of a sports sedan. The Genesis, IMHO, is a little big and doesn't handle on the level of the other vehicles mentioned. Good power, nice ride, but not really a sports sedan for me.

You really just need to make a list of say five or six top models and drive each a few times. I'd say that list should include.....

BMW 3-series
MB C350 (not the older ones, IMHO)
Infiniti G37 (cant really get into the previous gen)
Cadillac CTS (current gen ONLY)
Audi A4 (current gen and possibly a few year old S4)

I seriously still think the Charger SRT-8 should be in there. 425 horsies for about 40k is very very hard to pass up.

Of course, I'm biased towards Dodge. There's four of them in my driveway right now. :)

Two Ram 1500s and two Durangos. :eek:

I know this isn't in your original list, but I think it is deserving of a look. The CTS or CTS-V seems to be a great car that gets a lot of love from the 'media'. It is a sedan, can be had in RWD or AWD, similar price range as the others listed, and it just looks sharp.

for me it would be between the bmw 3 series or audi rs4. any bmw is a great car. black coupe with black interior.

i own a honda tsx and it's a great car, it really is...servicing is a rip off though, every 6 months and costs too much when you also have to factor in brake pads. disc machining etc etc.

i've heard that bmw is reasonable with servicing. bmw has that class and understatement plus performance that very few can match. when you factor in resale it's beemer all the way.

Last edited:
Top Bottom