What's new

Gillette RED Flare Tip Super Speed TTO Razor (An SWCT Review)

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
IMG_4245.JPG

This is the ever popular Gillette RED Flare Tip SuperSpeed TTO DE Safety Razor. I am guessing this razor was made in the 1950's, considering that is when many of these razors were made. Its clearly seen better days, plating is in rough shape, there is even some yellowed discoloration. Razor is 3.5 inches long, and it weighs in at 2 ounces or 58 grams. I think these are made out of brass if I am not mistaken, and they just apply a nickel coating on them. While this is not a heavy razor by any means, it is heavy in the head, which puts the balance point toward the neck of the handle.

proxy.php

This is another one of those TTO AKA Butterfly razors. You open the bay doors by rotating the RED knob at the bottom of the handle. This is a tried and true mechanism that has been used for years, and on many razors. The mechanism works fine on this one, even though the blade bay has seen better days. I could be mistaken, but I think it still holds the blade rigid enough, I don't seem to sense any blade chatter, so I think its still alright. Its always good to oil the mechanism once in while on these things, its just good preventative maintenance.

proxy.php

I am really pleased with the knurling on the handle, this is quality folks, it provides the grip that one requires, regardless if your hands are dry, wet, and or soapy. It also has a unique style of its own, due to the flared tip at the end. Because these have the TTO mechanism inside, these have hollowed out handles with the threading inside, so I wouldn't call them a solid handle, which is why most of the weight is in the head of the razor. I'm not really a fan of the balance point on these, but you can make them work. I loaded this razor up with a brand new Gillette Platinum blade, and began to shave. 7-day whiskers!

IMG_4239.JPG

When I did the WTG passes with this razor, I discovered this razor has a wide degree of angles it can be used in, so I don't think its too picky there. But I felt like holding the handle midway between steep and shallow on this one. I didn't feel like this was the smoothest in the WTG passes, but certainly smoother then my Rex Ambassador, but not as smooth as my previously reviewed Merkur 37C razor. It also seemed to have been having a little trouble on the whisker quantity, but still did it. So 37C wins here.

IMG_4243.JPG

In the XTG passes, I felt like it was beginning to have trouble on parts of my face, and doing OK in other's, it was weird. I expected after doing my XTG passes, that most of the whiskers would have been gone by now, but there was still a high concentration of whiskers in the sideburn area. I proceeded to make sure to get the tricky under the nose hairs, and try to get my chin good enough. I could feel a lot of blade feel with this razor, I felt like any moment, if I make one misstep, its gonna open me up. I looked at the blade gap, and it looks a lot like the same blade gap on my my Timeless TI95 razor. Blade reveal appeared to be OK but IDK.

IMG_4244.JPG

Once I got to doing the ATG passes, this is when this razor completely let me down. With my whiskers so short now, this should have been easy pickins, but this razor was completely incompetent! Not only did it take forever to complete the ATG passes, I never really completed them, why? Because for whatever reason I cannot fathom, this razor is completely missing whiskers. I have never seen a razor, make me want to go every direction possible around the side burn area, trying to get whiskers. WTG, XTG, ATG, DTG, and I was still having difficulty. I was stretching my skin, doing everything I can to desperately get those pesky whiskers, to get me to a solid BBS. I also had troubles in the sides of my chin in lower lip area.

proxy.php

I am just truly thankful that I scooped up too much of that quality hard soap, as I had far too much in my bowl, which allowed me more lathering material, to try and aid me in getting these suckers! Even as terrible as my Feather AS-D2 is, this razor is even worse! I don't know if there is just something wrong with the razor, or maybe it was a bad blade pairing, or maybe this razor is just never going to work for me. All I know is, it did a serious number on my face, which I didn't discover right away after the shave, but minutes later. When I ran the alum block on my face, it felt like my first month of wet shaving all over again, massive levels stings over my entire face and neck.

proxy.php

After the shave and rinse, I applied Thayers Lemons Witch Hazel, then I hit my face up with 2-different PAA Star Jelly aftershaves, trying to get through those, figured they might help my skin. After an hour later, I was starting to feel irritation on my face, so I went in the shave den to look at myself in the mirror. My face broke out in red blotches all over my face, and I discovered I had two nicks that I didn't see during the shave, but were scabbed over. I cleaned those spots with a cotton swab just dipped in water like I usually do. But the condition of my face, I was horrified! So I was like, this is so bad, I need to breakout the lotion, and I applied a layer of skin healing lotion to my face.

IMG_4241.JPG

Maybe my razor is faulty, maybe the blade is faulty, or maybe it was just never intended to be. Whatever the problems is, I can't in all conscious recommend this razor. This experience was nothing short of a colossal failure, that I do not wish to repeat. I think from now on, this will become a display piece, which is great that I got the case with it. I still thank Phil for sending this to me, and I don't wish him to feel bad about it, its still a good display piece, even though its not pristine condition. But I have no wish to be shaving with this razor ever again.

And before you folks say, "I will tell you what your problem is, you were shaving 7-day whisker growth, no razor can do that you fool!" Well, I will have you know naysayers out there, I shaved 7-days of whisker growth with my Merkur 37C in my previous review, and that razor was nothing short of stellarnarious performance! I am giving the Gillette RED Flare Tip SuperSpeed razor a 🌟 out of 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 stars.

IMG_4240.JPG

Tools and supplies used for todays shave

(1) Gillette RED Flare Tip SuperSpeed Razor
(2) Gillette Platinum Brand New Blade
(3) Captains Choice Starry Night Shave Bowl
(4) APShaveCO G5C Synthetic Shave Brush
(5) French Nature Hard Soap In A Jar
(6) Stirling 125G Alum Block
(7) Thayers Lemon Witch Hazel
(8) PAA Bay Rum & Cold Spices Aftershave Balms

PS: If I was doing something wrong, please let me know. But its been a long time since I've had a shave anywhere near this bad, and last time I did, was back when I used my Feather AS-D2 razor in March of this year.

Last edited:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Like you, I've had very few bad shaves since the middle of Feb. The only one I can remember, truth be told, is with my otherwise very dependable British Flat Bottom Tech with a Kai blade. My face was a mess when I finished that shave.

I'm glad our poor shaves are few and far between. For that, I'm thankful.

lasta

Blade Biter
Such a shame, we all have the occasional bad shave!

But this has got to be the first negative review of the Red Tip on B&B!

To me, the Red Tip is an excellent razor. Tech + not quite a full shim, a solid medium near-autopilot razor with perfect balance (just under the first row of knurling), and blade alignment.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I find that I get better shaves with a lot of growth. 5 to 7 days is nothing. Some of my best shaves ever are directly after an extended period of not shaving. But you need great technique. Proper prep. And a properly matched blade. Those Super Speeds can introduce a lot of blade chatter if you don’t have your technique down, and that leads to irritation. I’d say practice more with your usually shaving interval. Whether that is every day, every other day, or whatever. And get good with that razor. Sometimes the learning curve when you get a new razor will surprise you.

lasta

Blade Biter
I find that I get better shaves with a lot of growth. 5 to 7 days is nothing. Some of my best shaves ever are directly after an extended period of not shaving. But you need great technique. Proper prep. And a properly matched blade. Those Super Speeds can introduce a lot of blade chatter if you don’t have your technique down, and that leads to irritation. I’d say practice more with your usually shaving interval. Whether that is every day, every other day, or whatever. And get good with that razor. Sometimes the learning curve when you get a new razor will surprise you.
Some people just don't like some razors, and that's perfectly fine!

But my Superspeeds clamp the blade very well. If I were to take a screwdriver and try to bend the blade, it would cause a permanent dent or even chip the edge before any meaningful curve is formed.

Maybe compared to an Old Type, New SC, Fatip or Blackland Era the clamping is behind, but IMO that's moving into the solving a non-existent problem territory haha.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Some people just don't like some razors, and that's perfectly fine!

This is very true. There are plenty of razors I don’t like. But the Super Speed isn’t one of them. Even though I prefer a three piece, and use one most times, I enjoy a nice Super Speed shave from time to time.

Maybe the Super Speed does clamp the blade securely, but there is something going on in the way it holds the blade versus other razor types. I feel the blade on my skin much differently when using a Super Speed or one of the adjustables. Any of the Gillette TTOs really. It feels much less secure than with a three piece design. Maybe that is just a perception, as opposed to reality. Maybe it clamps the blade securely, but it clamps it farther back from the blade’s edge? But it’s what makes a super speed different, and special. That, and the fact that my grandfather taught me how to shave with a bladeless Super Spped when I was 7 years old. 🙂

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Keep in mind, just because I personally didn't detect blade chatter, that doesn't mean that there weren't any. And I am well aware that blade chatter causes irritation. Infact, one time, I loosened the knob on my Fatboy to make for easier rinsing out, then discovered a couple whiskers I missed short of a BBS later, brought the razor back up to my neck, forgot I had loosened the knob, and lets say that extreme blade chatter was detectable by having a lose blade, that I got the blotchy look on one spot of my neck afterwords lol.

Back to the RED SuperSpeed, just to make sure you all know, I did make sure that the knob was tight on it. I really don't know how tight your supposed to make them, but I figured I had it tighter then most do, so lets put it that way. If it is indeed true that these Gillette razors are susceptible to blade chatter, then that could have indeed been the cause of my problem. And like I said in my review, there was most certainly blade feel going on. Usually I don't feel the blade in my razors unless its the large gapped ones like my TI95, or my adjustables set on a high setting.

So @BradWorld may have a good point here. I suppose I could try a different blade in the razor, but at the end of the day, if the TTO design is causing blade chatter, it don't matter what blade is used, they are all going to have issues at the end of the day. Truth is, I wanted to like the razor guys, I was fully expecting to like the razor. But I am obviously not going to like any razor that turns my face into an 15 year old suffering acne in the face!

And keep in mind, I got to be around customers today, thank God for masks, cover that face up so I don't scare people!

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
So @BradWorld may have a good point here. I suppose I could try a different blade in the razor, but at the end of the day, if the TTO design is causing blade chatter, it don't matter what blade is used, they are all going to have issues at the end of the day.

As @lasta said, it may not be for lack of blade clamping. I just know that the standard Gillette TTO's hold the blade in a different way than most razors. Just because I perceived this as blade chatter, that doesnt mean it is... at least as per the true definition of blade chatter. When I shave with a Super Speed, I feel the blade in a much different way on my face. (Not a bad thing, mind you.) There seems to be more flex on the blade as I take a stroke. This may be due to the razor clamping the blade farther from the edge. But I have done no scientific testing to prove this theory.

I just know that I like the Super Speed shave on occasion. It has a unique face feel that I find to be an appealing break from my usual stuff. I have dozens of them. As well as Brit Rockets, Crats, adjustables, and other TTO's. They are really cool, and a big part of my shaving history.

I also dont really care for the shave of a Red Tip, nor the Fat Boy. I find them to be a bit more harsh than their siblings. I love the 1951 all-steel Black Tip, the 1947 no-notch Super Speed, the 1941 Ranger Tech (not a Tech), and the Slim the most.

I hope you dont give up on the Super Speed shave. I think once you go through the adventure of finding the right razor for you, you might have a winner.

This is the ever popular Gillette RED Flare Tip SuperSpeed TTO DE Safety Razor. I am guessing this razor was made in the 1950's, considering that is when many of these razors were made. Its clearly seen better days, plating is in rough shape, there is even some yellowed discoloration. Razor is 3.5 inches long, and it weighs in at 2 ounces or 58 grams. I think these are made out of brass if I am not mistaken, and they just apply a nickel coating on them. While this is not a heavy razor by any means, it is heavy in the head, which puts the balance point toward the neck of the handle.

I'm no Gillette expert, but this is what I know (I think🤔). Under the head there should be a stamped letter and a number 1 through 4 indicating the year and quarter it was produced.
ie B2 would be 1956, 2nd quarter (April - June) There are charts on line if you search vintage Gillette razor date codes that will give you all of the codes. And you're correct, they are brass, so the yellow is most likely the plating wearing off. There are places that will restore your red tip to new condition, visual and operational. Just be careful and first read reviews and posts here on B&B, as at least one of the popular ones has proven to be rather shady as I recall.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

I'm no Gillette expert, but this is what I know (I think🤔). Under the head there should be a stamped letter and a number 1 through 4 indicating the year and quarter it was produced.
ie B2 would be 1956, 2nd quarter (April - June) There are charts on line if you search vintage Gillette razor date codes that will give you all of the codes. And you're correct, they are brass, so the yellow is most likely the plating wearing off. There are places that will restore your red tip to new condition, visual and operational. Just be careful and first read reviews and posts here on B&B, as at least one of the popular ones has proven to be rather shady as I recall.

Yes, I have a Gillette 1959 Code E-3 195 Adjustable Fatboy razor, so understanding the date code was pretty easy on this one. What was more difficult for me, is finding it! Its very easy to find on my Fatboy razor, much hard to find on this Gillette tech. Anyways...

The date code on my Gillette RED Flare tip SuperSpeed is E-1. This means its the same year as my Fatboy razor. This Gillette tech came out in the first quarter of the year, where as my Fatboy came out in 3rd quarter.

As far as re-plating, yes, I am well aware of the shady company you are talking about, I too won't mention their name, but I already know who you are talking about, I have been fully educated in that area lol. If I send this razor in to be re-plated and restored, I would pick Chris at Back Roads Gold, because he's known to be honorable and does a great job from what I can tell.

Unfortunately, money is going to be super tight from now on, and I won't be spending money on things which don't need to happen right now. I also bought what I am pretty sure to be my last ever razor purchase. I have to try it out and review it, but I wanted to get to my giveaway winning razors first.

Thanks for the review! I've been spending all my time with a Red Tip as part of the Treet trials and it's not my favorite razor of the four. It depends a lot on the blades, as it's a joy to shave with the Red Tip and some blades (Voskhod, I recall). The "super speed" part is accurate, particularly if you shave every day. I think that's it's sweet spot: a daily DFS in record time. Spend any time trying to force it to shave closer against the grain and you'll get the undesirable results.

Thank you for your review. Thank will help others in their quest for their razor!!! I too am not a fan of the Red Tip, only because I have other razors that are more enjoyable to me. Again thank you for the review as it gives a view that will only help our community to thrive!!!

Tom

I’m facing similar issues with my gillettes TTOs. I even started a thread about it.

Exactly that, the ATG pass. I don’t have any issues with ATG on all of my modern razors, but these Gillettes are giving me some trouble.

I’m trying to push through it, trying to figure them out, but my under jaw and neck are paying the price.

Here’s the thread.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

@Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker I really like the tremendous effort you out into your reviews! I do enjoy reading them! If I ever decide to review another product I would hire you to write it!

Thats one of the kindness things anyone has ever said to me on B&B, thank you so very much @awk_m4 really means a lot! :thumbup1: I like to be thorough with my reviews, so that I may help people to make an informed decision. Sometimes however, I will discover later on, that I forgot something lol. And as it is a case with this one, I must add something...

There is considerable blade overhang to be aware of with this razor, probably the most overhang that I have ever discovered, among my arsenal of razors. Because of it, I was getting a tad bit of nostril scrapage, when I was trying to get the under the nose hairs. I suppose I could just cut the blade tabs off, but I will dull my scissors super quickly if I did that, so I don't consider that a solution. lol

Thats one of the kindness things anyone has ever said to me on B&B, thank you so very much @awk_m4 really means a lot! :thumbup1: I like to be thorough with my reviews, so that I may help people to make an informed decision. Sometimes however, I will discover later on, that I forgot something lol. And as it is a case with this one, I must add something...

There is considerable blade overhang to be aware of with this razor, probably the most overhang that I have ever discovered, among my arsenal of razors. Because of it, I was getting a tad bit of nostril scrapage, when I was trying to get the under the nose hairs. I suppose I could just cut the blade tabs off, but I will dull my scissors super quickly if I did that, so I don't consider that a solution. lol
You’re very welcome!! 🙂

Blade chatter is why I have moved on from DE razors. Feather Professional blades are the go. They are the Rolls Royce of razor blades, being both insanely sharp and smoother than any other blade. I use them in my shavettes when I am not using a traditional straight.

Leave DE razors for girls to use!! :p

Top Bottom