What's new

Why is my Fatip OC Slant such a let-down, going against all the reviews?

After reading a very long thread a while back about the FOCS, with many gushing positive reviews, I bought one. It does not work for me at all. I found it very rough and uncomfortable, and it gave mediocre results at best. I have been using a DE razor long enough, and have successfully used many different razors enough, that I don't think it was my technique. The FOCS and I just don't get along.

I know your mileage may vary is common here, but I think some folks have hit on an important aspect of this hobby. Hype is real and sometimes unjustified, at least things don't work for everybody for sure. This also happened to me when I bought a G5A knot from APShaveco after reading a long thread with many extolling its superior properties. While I like the fibers, they are far too short and have no splay at all, despite more than a couple of people talking about good splay. That doesn't work with how I use a brush, since I face lather almost exclusively. I foolishly bought another knot in a different size after AP told me in an email that the fibers on this other size were a little longer. That knot was no different and does not splay.

These two experiences have made me much more cautious about what I actually buy.

I consider $30 USD a pretty good risk-value proposition in a sea of overpriced, overbuilt products. I mean, if I needed my razor to fly at mach 10 or dive to 20,000 leagues under the sea, I certainly would seek a razor to made of aerospace grade titanium or marine grade steel at considerably more cost :)

My experience wasn't much better, but most slants do horribly on my face, not for lack of trying mind you. Try as I might, never seem to get a close & comfortable shave from any slant, with the near exception of the PAA Filament, but only with certain blades. My X3 shaves nicely, but doesn't always get quite close enough for my taste, I like to finish feeling BBS, and the X3 is on the mild side. - Yet R41, Timeless 95 OC, or Rex Ambassador give outstanding shaves, and they're on the aggressive/efficient side.
Unbelievable. I only have one slant (WCS) and it gets closer than my Merkur 23c and even my straights. I assumed all slants were as efficient/aggressive.

As a salesman, I sold their products and personally wasn’t very satisfied with how flimsy they feel.

Flimsy? They are made of brass. The fact you can get a genuine, brass razor at such a low cost is part of the appeal, where most things in that price range are pot metal or perhaps aluminium.

I think personal associations might come into play here - if you associate brass with flimsyness then fair enough. Certainly, if you have examples of product failures you had to handle then I can understand, although to my knowledge that isn't an issue with Fatips. We know the QC isn't A1, but they don't tend to fall to bits AFAIK.

To my taste, I’m actually more prone towards brass than any other metal. I prefer the look.

The flimsy feeling I describe is when changing blades. They feel like a Chinese knock off product. Nothing looks or feels like it was meant for each other.

I also feel that the price regardless is a whole other argument. Anyone here could list several DE razors that are made in china, feel essentially the same and shave just as good, if not better at a cheaper price.

I respect your point of view, though I would rather buy a vintage razor if I wanted something good and cheap.

Last edited:
That's fair enough - I kind of understand where you are coming from. You either accept that uniquely Fatip approach or you don't. I have four of them, so obviously I do!

Still, a vintage Gillette OC in usable condition will cost significantly more than a Fatip (at least double) in my country. I think the days of vintage being cheap / bargains have pretty much gone, except perhaps in the US where there are simply more razors in the market and demand is less concentrated.

As you point out, the economic warfare of the CCP means that if price / value is the driving concern, China probably offers the widest variety at the keenest prices. Even so, prices for the better quality Chinese razors are creeping up - the latest SS releases from the likes of Yaqi are still cheap, but don't look like the bargains that their first forays into that space did. I think they are getting more sophisticated in their price targeting.

For me, at EU prices (don't know what they cost in the US) Fatips razors are still one of the best bargains in shavedom, but we must all keep our own counsel on such things.

That's fair enough - I kind of understand where you are coming from. You either accept that uniquely Fatip approach or you don't. I have four of them, so obviously I do!

Still, a vintage Gillette OC in usable condition will cost significantly more than a Fatip (at least double) in my country. I think the days of vintage being cheap / bargains have pretty much gone, except perhaps in the US where there are simply more razors in the market and demand is less concentrated.

As you point out, the economic warfare of the CCP means that if price / value is the driving concern, China probably offers the widest variety at the keenest prices. Even so, prices for the better quality Chinese razors are creeping up - the latest SS releases from the likes of Yaqi are still cheap, but don't look like the bargains that their first forays into that space did. I think they are getting more sophisticated in their price targeting.

For me, at EU prices (don't know what they cost in the US) Fatips razors are still one of the best bargains in shavedom, but we must all keep our own counsel on such things.
I think it’s no way anyone could say they’re bad at shaving though, without exaggeration.

They’re good in practice, I’ve used every model, look nice as well.

Also I’m a recent US immigrant that grew up in Australia, pretty much best place to find razors is eBay.

Flimsy? They are made of brass. The fact you can get a genuine, brass razor at such a low cost is part of the appeal, where most things in that price range are pot metal or perhaps aluminium.
And made in Italy! A genuine brass razor made in Italy with 1950's heritage..... also made in the same area as my beloved Moto Guzzi

I'm late to this thread!
I glanced through it and I'll chime in:
All Fatips need to be carefully aligned when loading a blade. If someone says they don't, they've gotten lucky where they've dropped in the blade correctly whenever loading a blade. (It's occasionally happened to me when loading) Every single one have posts that are smaller in diameter than the holes on the blade. That means that the blade has play when you load it.
When it's not aligned, you'll get tugging and rough shaves. Load the blade, slightly tighten, look at the head from the top and make sure both sides of blade exposure are equal, if not, carefully move as necessary then fully tighten. You'll get a good shave! Another thing that Fatips like are sharp blades!
That's my experience (with 7 or 8 of them):)

All Fatips need to be carefully aligned when loading a blade.
in my experience so far, i have to pay attention to blade alignment with every razor i own except the fatboy. some more than others sure, but i would have just assumed that would be something that most users would intuit. you are right that if someone was not paying attention to that, it would lead to issues. not sure if OP is or isn't.

in my experience so far, i have to pay attention to blade alignment with every razor i own except the fatboy. some more than others sure, but i would have just assumed that would be something that most users would intuit. you are right that if someone was not paying attention to that, it would lead to issues. not sure if OP is or isn't.
I think it depends on the razor too. Most of the modern (upper & mid tier) CNC machined razors have such tight tolerances that loading a blade doesn't require alignment.

Last edited:
I think it depends on the razor too. Most of the modern (upper & mid tier) CNC machined razors have such tight tolerances that loading a blade doesn't require alignment.
i figured that was the case for current production higher dollar razors. ive been thinking about picking something from that tier up, however im skeptical anything will actually be better than my fatboy. its pretty wild to compare what you used to be able to get for a few bucks to what that gets you nowadays even when you take inflation into consideration...but i digress.

as for fatips, i love my piccolo with the open comb plate.

Hello everyone.
I had a straight-cut Fatip Piccolo razor. I also bought this razor after reading a lot of positive reviews. And the price was low. As a result, after many attempts to make friends with this miracle of Italian engineering, I gave Fatip to one participant of the Russian forum. And now I sleep peacefully.

I just have a couple of OC Fatips slants. Work fine for time, I feed them only a freshy picky Bic P or Feather. But really more about finding what works for you. So may variables in the shave. Just because it is crowd please or a crowd teaser....
I not a sure thing for you...
You got to give it time, like they said, maybe a different blade...or angle...

Welcome to the Buy & Try club...

Just like finding an Italian Wine you like...

1698868959885.png

Top Bottom