What's new

Pick my sports sedan

OK, so I'm in the market for a car this year. No rush, but it's time to find something new. I have a connection that can get me most anything for about half blue book, so I'm going used late model. I want a sports sedan and am limiting it to 2006 and newer. Performance and reliability are very important. Here are some things I've been considering.

BMW 330i / 335i - I love the performance, but I'm worried about reliability. The handling has me leaning this way even though I know it will be in the shop more often.

Lexus IS - The reviews are not kind to it.

Infiniti G35/G37- I think the performance is good, but I'm not sold on the styling of the G35 sedan. The G37 is better. I really like the coupe stylying, but think I want 4 doors. I'm getting old. :rolleyes:

Acura TL - I've long thought the TL would be my car. Hate the new styling, but since I'd be going for something in the '07-'08 years, I'd be ok. Considering the S-Type if I can find it. I wish it had RWD or AWD (like the new SH-AWD), though. I also wish it looked a bit smaller.

Audi -Not really considering anything Audi because while I love the interior, I'm not thrilled with outside styling. They're also slower than they should be.

Subaru - I have many friends that tell me this is a brainless decision and Subaru all the way. I know they all beat on their cars relentlessly, but I have a hard time considering them. The stlying has never set well with me.

I think it's between the G35/G37 and the 330/335.

Thoughts?

I have an A4. I agree with your assessment of it. It could be faster.

There is an intangible though that I will share with you. I previously owned a 1999 Passat (same car) and I got nailed by a guy who blew a stop sign at 40 mph and hit me on the passenger side fender and across the front end.

The combination of the car's agility (which I attribute to the "german engineering"); the cars build quality (again "german engineering") and my own reflexes saved my life.

I will forever be a VW/Audi/Porsche (hopefully) customer.

The impact was so severe it cracked the turbo, tossed the windshield out of the car and down the street and spun me around and put flat spots on all four of the tires. The car had 7000 miles on it when it happened and the insurance adjuster who decided to repair said if it had over 10k he would have trashed it. After $19000 in repairs and 4 months rebuilding it the car was like new and I drove it incidentless for another 90000 miles.

My sister has an A4 and I have considered getting one. The reason I have not purchased an A4 Quattro is because there always seem to be a lot of little problems with the car, and it has a timing belt.

Since I do all my own car maintenance having a timing belt is a huge deal to me. My dad had to dismantle the entire front end of my sisters A4 to change the timing belt. I think it's something like a $2K job at the dealer. The only reason I bring up the timing belt issue is that BMW's have timing chains (at least I hope they do, I haven't owned a newer BMW), so you don't have to worry about an expensive maintenance bill in 5 years.

Since you live in so cal, why are you so worried about having a FWD car? My next car will be AWD, but I have to go through winters in the North-East so it's a little handier.

In 2006, after a class action lawsuit. VW Audi went to timing chains. All of their cars have chains now...I just received payment for my settlement on the class action for the costs associated with my 1999 Passat timing belt.

I have had no problems with the quattro in my A4...It is a 2006 and has only 30k miles, so the future will tell.

Since you live in so cal, why are you so worried about having a FWD car? My next car will be AWD, but I have to go through winters in the North-East so it's a little handier.

Right. I'd prefer RWD, which doesn't leave very many options.

I'm with you on the BMW, John. Given your interests, though, see if your dealer connection can't find you a recent Subaru Legacy Spec B. This thing is amazingly fun to drive, with non-WRX styling. Plus, it'll hold the family and run over shave gear in style. :biggrin:

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/FirstDrives/articleId=115529

I keep hearing that from a lot of people. I probably should go drive one.

I would have said the G35/G37 coupe, and even though you are looking for a sedan, I would probably still go for the G35/G37.

I'm considering coupe. Just not leaning that way just yet. It's not so much the kids, because with three, they're not all riding in my car at the same time. It doesn't have to be a "family" car, but I do like the practical side of 4 doors. Although, if I'm considering cars with 300 bhp, I'm not sure why I'm trying to be practicaly. :lol:

BMW 330i / 335i - my last car was a 328is and was at least as reliable as the Honda Accord I owned before it. Perhaps more importantly, it was an absolute blast to drive. My current BMW is less than 6 months old, too early to comment on reliablity.

Right. I'd prefer RWD, which doesn't leave very many options.

I keep hearing that from a lot of people. I probably should go drive one.

I'm considering coupe. Just not leaning that way just yet. It's not so much the kids, because with three, they're not all riding in my car at the same time. It doesn't have to be a "family" car, but I do like the practical side of 4 doors. Although, if I'm considering cars with 300 bhp, I'm not sure why I'm trying to be practicaly. :lol:

Lots of choices, very different cars.

I think the Subaru is a great car and you get a lot for your money - however, there's no comparison between the Subaru and a BMW in terms of luxury feel.

I'm not sure what your preferences are, but I think the Mercedes C300 or C350 are worth looking at - not quite as sharp handling as the Beemer, but a little more refined. They have RWD and AWD versions of both cars. Also, the Benz is a little more roomy inside.

As for the 4 vs 2 doors, if you're often going to have a third person, carry stuff in the backseat, etc. go for the 4 doors. 2 doors are fine for toys, but not so good for everyday use. Also, its easier to get the SO to buy into a 4-door...

I have owned 2 Subarus and like them a whole lot (although I have had Outbacks, not the sportier sedan models which I think are kind of ugly). From your list I would go with the Acura TL. I'm very biased towards the Honda and Toyota brands for their reliability and I like the looks of the Acura better than the Lexus.

My boss has a new 335i. Nice car, but if I were in the market, I'd likely go for the V8 and get an M3. Or a C63 for that matter. Bang for the buck, though, it's hard to beat the 335i. Go drive them all. Have fun.

I'd research the service costs before I made my decision. I love my Acura (although it's an MDX, not a TL)....it's never given me a problem at all. The only thing that snuck up on me was the demand for premium fuel.

I'd research the service costs before I made my decision. I love my Acura (although it's an MDX, not a TL)....it's never given me a problem at all. The only thing that snuck up on me was the demand for premium fuel.

You get used to it. All of our vehicles have required Premium for so long that I forget about the other grades to the point that I find myself putting Premium in the can for my mower!:redface:

BMW 330i / 335i - I love the performance, but I'm worried about reliability. The handling has me leaning this way even though I know it will be in the shop more often.

I own the 2006 330i with sport package and never had a reliability issue with it. It's also roomy. I have two kids and have never had a problem with space. The Infiniti might squeek out a win in a straight line but none of the cars you mention handle better than the 3 series. I considered and did multiple test drives of each car that you mentioned (except the Subara) and found that:

Infiniti: sounds awesome, is fast in a straight line, rides too rough for my liking.
Lexus IS: great ride and pickup but it's tooooo tiny in the front and back seat. I'm 5'9 195lb and I struggled to get in and out of the back seat!
Acura TL: Beautiful ride but too big and not sporty enough. It seems to lean more towards the family car side of things.
Audi: closest comparison to the 3-series but not enough bang for buck
3 series: best mix of sport/family sedan. It gets the job done when I'm with my family and is a beast when I'm by myself. It's also great on gas to boot!

Good luck! You have narrowed it down to some great choices :001_smile

Last edited:
One word John. Smartcar. Well maybe two. :biggrin:

Man, even though I've been impressed with the crash test videos I've seen, I still get a little nervous when I see one of those mixing it up with the semis in the rain on I-95. I'll stick with my E class!

Man, even though I've been impressed with the crash test videos I've seen, I still get a little nervous when I see one of those mixing it up with the semis in the rain on I-95. I'll stick with my E class!

Yep, me too. I see some zooming along I-35 and I wonder what if a semi wondered into his lane. It's scary.

In 2006, after a class action lawsuit. VW Audi went to timing chains. All of their cars have chains now...I just received payment for my settlement on the class action for the costs associated with my 1999 Passat timing belt.

I'd be interested in any particulars you might care to provide. The Wife has an '03.5 NB Turbo S model. No timing belt issues (knocking on wood) to this point, but am still interested in what transpired. TIA

I have had no problems with the quattro in my A4...It is a 2006 and has only 30k miles, so the future will tell.

Wow, this is good to know, and brings the A4 back into consideration. What were the terms of the class action? I'm wondering if the settlement might be applicable to my sisters car....

Back to the original topic, my family has owned older BMW's and had great luck with them. I am seriously leaning towards a 3 series xi model so I can get AWD. Of course, it seems that prices on these cars isn't coming down despite the economy.

Top Bottom