What's new

April Frugal Follies Cheapskate Challenge (AFFCC) - 2021.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Note: For those who think it can't be done:
giphy.gif
then does. :w00t:

Okay so... $30 lands me around £22 (GBP).

Currently thinking...
Razor: Baili 191 (Az) = £8.99
Blades: Treet Platinum SS, 1x5 blades (eBay) = £1.49
Soap: Palmolive cream (Sainsbury's) = £2
Alum block (Az) = £2.37

Brush is the sticking point... Allergies dictate synths, but budget is not generous, so I have two choices at this point
1) Go to AliE and pick up a cheapish synth brush (there's one that looks passable at £5.50 including tax, which comes within budget)
2) Go cheaper on the razor... for example a Lord L6 or Baili 171 at about £5 brings enough space in the budget to get an Omega 10018 at £8.50ish.

Decisions, decisions...

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Okay so... $30 lands me around £22 (GBP).

Currently thinking...
Alum block (Az) = £2.37

Brush is the sticking point... Allergies dictate synths, but budget is not generous, so I have two choices at this point
1) Go to AliE and pick up a cheapish synth brush (there's one that looks passable at £5.50 including tax, which comes within budget)
2) Go cheaper on the razor... for example a Lord L6 or Baili 171 at about £5 brings enough space in the budget to get an Omega 10018 at £8.50ish.

Decisions, decisions...
Get the AliE brush. It will be a Plissoft knot which are all made in China by the same source, regardless. If you like comfort and ease of use that's the way to go. I like my Omega S-Brush, but I would have preferred my $9.99 Maggard Plissoft. I just ordered LEA Menthol Cream from Connaught for $3.75. I did a month of Arko in a FFFMM once. It's a great soap, but it got old. I was thinking about Van Der Hagen but that put me 5 cents over. LEA was the answer, and it comes in menthol!

Last edited:
Get the AliE brush. It will be a Plissoft knot which are all made in China by the same source, regardless. If you like comfort and ease of use that's the way to go.

I was leaning that way already & ordered it (I can change my mind before April first) and shipping estimate suggests I can't wait any longer and get it on time 🤣

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I also have a .99 cent Godrej Shaving Round. If I used that I could use my Maggard brush. To use a Brit term, Crikey, I've got a lot of options. That sounds weird coming from a Dutch Yank...ya hoor, or ya sure in Dutch American colloquialism. :tongue_sm

Last edited:

Raven Koenes

My precious!
DescriptionUnit priceQtyAmount
LEA MENTHOL Shaving Cream Tube 150g£2.25 GBP1£2.25 GBP

Connaught's site said LEA Menthol was £2.70. My invoice above said they charged me £2.25. That is $3.11US. This means if I use my Maggard Synth my total is $29.71US. What do you think guys? Am I in with the Maggard synth?

Okay I'm going to lock in too... As long as my Chinese brush turns up on time.

Brush: "Anbbas" synth (AliE) = £5.45
Alum block (Az) = £2.37

Grand total of.... £20.30 (max £22)

Not the most glamorous kit, but assuming the brush meets expectations there should be no really weak links 😃

Nothing has any shipping to include from the sources I've used, the brush had a teeny bit of import tax to prepay which I've included! (This wasn't part of the rules, but I made it a personal restriction nonetheless)

(Note: due to FFFMM I can't test this, so I've just got to run with it!!)

Merkur 15C $15.67
Gillette Foamy $2
Derby Premium 100 pack $8

This isn't hypothetical; it's the actual kit I've been using for weeks and will continue to use for weeks to come

Skipping the brush by using canned foam is one way to keep it cheap... I wouldn't choose to do it that way, but making a tightish budget work is often a compromise somewhere!

This is tempting.

Soap: Arko (2 bucks)
Razor: Some Q-shave Gillette Tech knockoff I paid a few dollars for. I may have only paid shipping.
Blades: 7 O'clock SS (few bucks)
Brush: Omega 10077 (5 dollars on sale at the pharmacy)
Aftershave: VIBR (5 dollars on sale at the pharmacy)
Balm: Nivea Sensitive (I think I paid 6?)

May go with this setup for fun for a few days but can't commit due to it being my birthday month. We shall see. Will follow the thread. Will look into what the going prices are new and see if this is a plausible setup.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Arrived today from Amazon... The handle is weird, very little grip, but knowing the head is a good one makes it a challenge that I know should work out fine 😂
My Baili 176 has arrived as well. I just haven't gotten around to taking pictures yet. My complaint is the company logo printed on the cap. It does have a very nice solid build, and their tech style heads clamp the blade rigid.

61jsvYAzSCL._AC_SL1200__1_50.jpg

Top Bottom