What's new

Safety Razor Acquisition Thread.

My new mergress long handle I like it it shaves great
F1AFA970-3577-49B7-8000-A2950F8205AA.jpeg

Some indicator of vintage? I have one which looks like it, super mild shaver.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk
Now that you mention it, I suppose I was taking the seller’s word for it on the age of the razor. There are no markings at all on it, so nothing which would indicate a date of manufacture.

So this thread got my curiosity going over the vintage Stahly razors I had long since abandoned to a storage drawer. I got the most recent one out and decided to clean it. All of a sudden, the handle began to vibrate. Proved to me that the spring wasn't broken, nor even lost its temper after all these years of being seized in the fully wound position. I proceeded to load a vintage made in England Wilkinson Super Sword edge blade in it and decided to try it. The vibrating would not continue so I know it's gunked up in the handle, but the shave without vibration was really good.....and very comfortable. I think it's time to move up the schedule on disassembling this and giving the mechanism a good cleaning and lubing. This was my favorite razor in the past, and may well take that position again. Just what I need....another project! Thanks guys!

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
1912 Gem Junior and 1952 Gillette Tech. Both with Bakelite handles. I don’t believe the Tech has ever been used before.
View attachment 1113532View attachment 1113534
Very nice find, the Gem Junior 1912 with the baton handle is one of my Favorite razors to use, the handle is very nice and self standing if you wish. That model is one of the last improvements Gem put into the base plate with the larger rounded corners IMO. Great shaver, I hope you enjoy it.

this is a really rare italian Casanova 930 razor, made by LAMA ITALIA the same company that manufactured Mirabila razors.
The cap has cross shaped pins and the razor fits dedicate blades (really hard to find too) even if in last years of production they sell also razor with rounded pins or modified pins to hold regular blades.
producted between 1930 and 1947/8.
if anyone wants some more info I will be' happy to share all what I know about this beauty.
ciao,
andy
20200616_221256.jpg
20200616_221355.jpg

I forgot to say that the case was a made for Gancia one and not a standard case.
Gancia is a famous company mostra know for its sparking wines. in the '30s the headquarters of lama italia and gancia was not more that 20 km far.
ciao, a.

Top Bottom