What's new

Safety Razor Acquisition Thread.

I’ve heard so much about this icon that I snagged one when they went on sale for $28.
(Edwin Jagger DE89)
97722485-28C4-4F58-85D3-2BF6D3CD93DF.jpeg
79C8274A-0863-4ED5-9547-2C9DA8D3114B.jpeg
1376A307-E1FD-4268-BCF4-D38A6C8A4758.jpeg
65CE5650-39E4-41E7-9C2A-AC45F021451B.jpeg

Just collected my first ever vintage razor.

Made in England Gillete Tech with aluminium handle. Going by mr-razor pics I think its a sportsman (the stamps on the base plate and emblem on the top plate are in different positions to the ones on the example of a 1963 aluminium tech)?

20200617_105336.jpg
20200617_104659.jpg
20200617_104625.jpg
20200617_104615.jpg

Full report expected, Tom!

Well Dan, I have mixed feelings about the Paradigm Diamondback. The inaugural shave was as nice a shave as I have had. Certainly I have had equally nice shaves, but none better that I can recall.

The razor/hardware is beautiful. As much as Wolfman gets credit for the mirror polish and deservedly so, this Paradigm really shines. I have always admired Paradigm razors from afar and having one up close in person gives another level of appreciation for the craftsmanship. The size, weight, balance all work wonderfully for me. With that being said, after one shave, the handle is almost too nice/polished. I like a handle with some knurling. I never felt like I had total control of the razor, but also never felt like I was going to drop it either. That is my only niggle with this razor. On to the shave...

The shave itself was excellent. Smooth, smooth and smooth on my three passes. As many have pointed out in other reviews, it is so smooth, at times you question whether there is a blade in the razor. I used an Astra SP with Martin de Candre Fougere soap, lathered up with an Omega Jade boar brush. Really a great combo. I like the Astra SP when using a razor for the first time. Not too sharp, but certainly not a tugger by any means. I could have stopped after 2 passes, but I had a lather bowl full of MdC Fougere, so why not? I won't bore anyone with each pass details, but if this razor had a handle with a bit more knurling, it would be tied for first with any other razor. I may get used to the handle eventually or I may try other handles because the razor and shave is worthy of experimenting.

The DB is slightly more efficient than my WR2 1.15 SB and is certainly as smooth. I don't think the efficiency is so much that I won't want or need to shave tomorrow, which is a good thing in my eyes. Overall, I am excited to give the DB many more opportunities. I am now sitting on 9 1/2 really nice razors. The downside, each only gets 3 or so shaves a month. It doesn't seem fair.

IMG_5394.jpeg

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Well Dan, I have mixed feelings about the Paradigm Diamondback. The inaugural shave was as nice a shave as I have had. Certainly I have had equally nice shaves, but none better that I can recall.

The razor/hardware is beautiful. As much as Wolfman gets credit for the mirror polish and deservedly so, this Paradigm really shines. I have always admired Paradigm razors from afar and having one up close in person gives another level of appreciation for the craftsmanship. The size, weight, balance all work wonderfully for me. With that being said, after one shave, the handle is almost too nice/polished. I like a handle with some knurling. I never felt like I had total control of the razor, but also never felt like I was going to drop it either. That is my only niggle with this razor. On to the shave...

The shave itself was excellent. Smooth, smooth and smooth on my three passes. As many have pointed out in other reviews, it is so smooth, at times you question whether there is a blade in the razor. I used an Astra SP with Martin de Candre Fougere soap, lathered up with an Omega Jade boar brush. Really a great combo. I like the Astra SP when using a razor for the first time. Not too sharp, but certainly not a tugger by any means. I could have stopped after 2 passes, but I had a lather bowl full of MdC Fougere, so why not? I won't bore anyone with each pass details, but if this razor had a handle with a bit more knurling, it would be tied for first with any other razor. I may get used to the handle eventually or I may try other handles because the razor and shave is worthy of experimenting.

The DB is slightly more efficient than my WR2 1.15 SB and is certainly as smooth. I don't think the efficiency is so much that I won't want or need to shave tomorrow, which is a good thing in my eyes. Overall, I am excited to give the DB many more opportunities. I am now sitting on 9 1/2 really nice razors. The downside, each only gets 3 or so shaves a month. It doesn't seem fair.

View attachment 1114746
Tom — you nailed it. I felt precisely the same about the handle, and the handle was the reason I sold mine. Gorgeous, yes. But it felt more like a piece of jewelry than a shaver, and I also felt uneasy during the shave.

I’m happy you were able to acquire one, Tom. I’ll be interested to see whether it makes your cut.

I picked up a Raw Shaving RS-10. The handle feels much more secure during the shave, and the SS is brilliant.

View attachment 1114746

Superb review, Thomas. And with comments from you and Dan I dodged this bullet (if I ever would jump into the modern rabbit hole) :thumbup1:

Tom — you nailed it. I felt precisely the same about the handle, and the handle was the reason I sold mine. Gorgeous, yes. But it felt more like a piece of jewelry than a shaver, and I also felt uneasy during the shave.

I’m happy you were able to acquire one, Tom. I’ll be interested to see whether it makes your cut.

I picked up a Raw Shaving RS-10. The handle feels much more secure during the shave, and the SS is brilliant.
I will keep the DB around for a bit. No hurry to unload. It really did give me an amazing shave this morning.

I have heard great things about the Raw RS-10, but sorry, I detest the looks in general and especially the logo on the top cap. Some say the RS-10 is the finest shaving razor in the modern era, but looks still mean something to me. Definitely a YMMV deal.

Superb review, Thomas. And with comments from you and Dan I dodged this bullet (if I ever would jump into the modern rabbit hole) :thumbup1:

The modern rabbit hole could use a guy like you Peter!

Based on raving shave quality reviews from trusted members of our community (yes, Jeff Greene you are to blame, sir :001_302: ) I today took delivery of this strange shaver: the US made G.E. Jones Shake Sharp razor, 'the razor that sharpens itself.' It looks like an SE but uses DE blades...although only exposing one side of the blade at a time.

It even has a hone built into a cunning glide which you supposedly can run against the blade to sharpen by shaking the razor back and forth, if you so desire.

I have been advised to upload TWO modern DE blades into this this in order to ensure tightness - as this razor was designed in the 1940s or so where blades were a lot thicker than today. Yes, you read correctly.

This weekend I will lay my life (or at least body blood content) on the line... :scared::thumbup1:

3130A411-828B-4D72-917B-C2168F5445E7.jpeg

Top Bottom