What's new

Your smoothest and most efficient DE razor

They're all pretty smooth.

Efficient: The King has to be the '56 Gillette Red Tip, with the '62 Slim just behind. I've only just started using the postwar fat-handle Tech, so I can't say about it yet. The '53 Super Speed brings up the rear.

just finished 4 days with the Bevel, and once I found the angle on that, boy is it sweet. Great for head shaving too because there's no exposed end tabs.

Smoothest - The Timeless .68 SB is the smoothest razor I own it's also incredibly efficient considering how comfortable it is to shave with. (The Charcoal Good Lvl1 and Paradigm Ti2 score high marks here as well)

Most Efficient - Paradigm 17-4 is extremely efficient but still an absolute pleasure to use. A really nice balance of efficiency and comfort.

Goodwill razor I got last week is the best comb type. The ‘59 red tip is the smoothest SS at present.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smoothest- 46/47 Gillette Aristocrat
Most Efficient - Timeless .95 SB

Honestly, there are some others that are very close in both areas. My Timeless .68 OC is both smooth and efficient, as is my New Deluxe Belmont/Criterion. I'd be well-served with any one of them, and it would be difficult to pick a favorite, although atm I'm really liking the Timeless .95

It's a great time to be a razor fan. There are plenty of great vintage and new choices available to suit pretty much any budget that are more than adequate for the job.

Smoothest - Rockwell C or S with any base plate tied with Timeless Stainless or Titanium with any base plate
Most efficient - Tie between Ikon Tech, Charcoal Goods Level 3, Futur on 6
Sorry I can't single out a winner in either category.
If I had to name the best compromise of smooth and efficient it would be my 2014 R41. More effcient than the smoothest razors and smoother than the most efficient razors.

On my face, speaking very generally, the more efficient the DE, the less smooth. The Paradigm 17-4 is an exception to this rule, in my experience. It's very smooth, and almost as efficient as my efficiency kings, including the R41 2011, Ikon Tech, Charcoal Goods Level 3, etc.

I would agree with @pbrmhi ‘s post but I will add that I would add my vintage #15 and 16 Gibbs adjustables to the smooth and efficient list along with the Paradigm 17-4 and the NEW Deluxe Big Boy. I also have a lot of smooth shavers including both modern and vintage razors such as some Aristocrat models, President, Apollo Ben Hur, Timeless.68 and .95. Toogle, Wolfman.61 and .80 and also my Fat handles Tech to name a few.
Wait I just named a lot of them not just a few! :lol:

I would agree with @pbrmhi ‘s post but I will add that I would add my vintage #15 and 16 Gibbs adjustables to the smooth and efficient list along with the Paradigm 17-4 and the NEW Deluxe Big Boy. I also have a lot of smooth shavers including both modern and vintage razors such as some Aristocrats models, President, Timeless.68 and .95. Wolfman.61 and .80 and also my Fat handles Tech to name a few.

I've heard good things about the Gibbs, but have never tried one. I also have a bunch of smooth razors, but don't use them much anymore. My Wolfman WR1 .74 in stainless is one, but I haven't yet been able to get a truly close shave with it. Might need to swap it for a .80 or higher at some point.

I've heard good things about the Gibbs, but have never tried one. I also have a bunch of smooth razors, but don't use them much anymore. My Wolfman WR1 .74 in stainless is one, but I haven't yet been able to get a truly close shave with it. Might need to swap it for a .80 or higher at some point.

Think of your Paradigm as I liken my Gibbs to that. A perfect balance of both smoothness and efficiency.
Also I find using my Skin stretch short stroke technique I can not only get closer shaves with all my razors that I couldn’t before using the traditional long stroke 3 pass technique but I can achieve BBS in less passss. Example with my Level 3 Charcoal I can now be there in 1 1/2 passes and most others i mentioned in just 2 passes.

Think of your Paradigm as I liken my Gibbs to that. A perfect balance of both smoothness and efficiency.
Also I find using my Skin stretch short stroke technique I can not only get closer shaves with all my razors that I couldn’t before using the traditional long stroke 3 pass technique but I can achieve BBS in less passss. Example with my Level 3 Charcoal I can now be there in 1 1/2 passes and most others i mentioned in just 2 passes.
Dragonsbeard did you post a description of your skin stretch short stroke technique anywhere in the site?

Dragonsbeard did you post a description of your skin stretch short stroke technique anywhere in the site?
Not yet but I’m going to be shortly. A friend is helping me with a visual image that will show it as well as an explanation sheet. I’ll probably put it in the Aristocrat thread or I may create new thread doing a shave review where I use it. I’ve had some pm’s from members asking for info on it so I’m pushing to get it done.

Thank you for asking.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Smoothest razor : my new Razorock SLOC- hard to get even a weeper or nicks and gives a DFS>BBS depends on blades.
Efficiency : any adjustable razor (Slim & Ming shi 2000 futur clone..) because of positive blade exposure that can be dialed up at will.

Gillette NEW Short Comb, smooth and efficient and king of my ring

I've owned many of the new $200+ razors and they were great but none were better for me then the NEW sc with a Gillette Platinum or GSB blade. Unrelated but I paid $25 a piece for 3 that look pristine

Top Bottom