What's new

How I got Razor Bumps

Ok, three years ago I switched to DE shaving and upped my game with artesian soaps and creams. Purchased one nice DE razor and now have a collection. Currently use a birth year Gillette Slim made in 1951 and trying a number of blades. Perfecting my shaving skills and am getting great shaves.

Out of personal interest and experimentation I purchased a Gillette Mach 3 and a can of pressurized foam in a can stuff. First two shaves using the multiblade Mach 3 were pretty good. Began to think DE shaving was not the improvement I thought it was. This morning made my 3rd shave using the Mach 3 and guess what? A few hours later I had severe razor burn/bumps and redness. Looks awful.

Was it the multiblade Mach 3 or the cheap foam in a can or a combination of the two? Whatever, I now know why I went the DE shaving route! I am glad I had this experience to remind me of why DE shaving is superior. My DE shaves are always good with no burns, no bumps and very comfortable.

I learned early on to let the weight of the DE razor do the work. No pressure, just the weight of the Gillette Slim and a nice sharp, smooth blade. I generally use NACET or Feather blades but have never had a bad experience with any DE blade. Just light pressure and a newer blade. I get very close and smooth shaves.

DE shaving works well for me. I am glad I experimented with the Mach 3 and foam in a pressurized can. I will return to DE shaves. I guess each of us learns best by experience.

If you have anything to share or add to this, please provide your view.

One of the reasons I switched to DE shaving was that my beard did not treat cartridge razor blades well. After three or four shaves I started to press hard and got lots of multiblade scars to show off. Carts were just too expensive to wear out that quickly. DE blades are a lot more cost effective for three and done use. I did pick up a Dorco cartridge setup last year when recovering from a broken arm to use until my dexterity returned. It was not as bad as the big name brands but I also did not use it that many times.

And electric razors give me road rash.

What you experienced with the Mach 3 is what led me to DE shaving 20 years ago. If I had 3-4 days of growth I could use a Mach 3 with no problem. Wait another 3-4 days, shave again, and no problems.

However, if I tried to shave with a Mach 3 after just two days it was very uncomfortable and I would get ingrowns. Try to shave again two days later and it was a painful, bloody mess on my neck.

I don’t have that problem with DE razors and can shave every 36 hours with no problems. With carts, I need a lot more time in between shaves or things get bad quickly on either side of my Adam’s apple where I have swirls and thick whiskers.

Ok, three years ago I switched to DE shaving and upped my game with artesian soaps and creams. Purchased one nice DE razor and now have a collection. Currently use a birth year Gillette Slim made in 1951 and trying a number of blades. Perfecting my shaving skills and am getting great shaves.

Out of personal interest and experimentation I purchased a Gillette Mach 3 and a can of pressurized foam in a can stuff. First two shaves using the multiblade Mach 3 were pretty good. Began to think DE shaving was not the improvement I thought it was. This morning made my 3rd shave using the Mach 3 and guess what? A few hours later I had severe razor burn/bumps and redness. Looks awful.

Was it the multiblade Mach 3 or the cheap foam in a can or a combination of the two? Whatever, I now know why I went the DE shaving route! I am glad I had this experience to remind me of why DE shaving is superior. My DE shaves are always good with no burns, no bumps and very comfortable.

I learned early on to let the weight of the DE razor do the work. No pressure, just the weight of the Gillette Slim and a nice sharp, smooth blade. I generally use NACET or Feather blades but have never had a bad experience with any DE blade. Just light pressure and a newer blade. I get very close and smooth shaves.

DE shaving works well for me. I am glad I experimented with the Mach 3 and foam in a pressurized can. I will return to DE shaves. I guess each of us learns best by experience.

If you have anything to share or add to this, please provide your view.
You have to unlearn DE shaving again and put massive pressure on cart. 🤔🤣

Just kidding but there’s no turning back for us after DE shaving. We’re too deep into the rabbit hole.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I only have an educated guess. The Mach 3 has three blades (hey, do you think that's where the name came from?) and every time you pull it across your face you're getting 3 times the potential irritation as a single edge blade.

Top Bottom