What's new

Wolfman: On the waiting list. Questions.

After having a Timeless in SS and Ti I much prefer the Ti, makes me wish Wolfman was still making the Ti razor. It is the weight difference but also the face feel of the Ti it just feels smoother.

After having a Timeless in SS and Ti I much prefer the Ti, makes me wish Wolfman was still making the Ti razor. It is the weight difference but also the face feel of the Ti it just feels smoother.
Wolf heads are light in comparison to a SS Timeless. With the hollow handle option you can get a pretty light weight Wolf.

There was some talk about how to tell different Wolfman plates apart. I took out my cheapo plastic calipers (now that I have my 1.15 in hand). As one might expect, the difference between the 1.05 and 1.15 is ... about 0.1 mm—but measuring the depth of the shave plate (pix below will help show you what I mean). For those that might worry about whether I might mix up my similar plates, my ... lack of cleaning ability helped. The dirty one (with soap residue, is that really dirty?) was the 1.05. In the end, this totally makes sense (to me).

But also to be fair, just because my calipers, that can only display 0.1 mm increments, displayed this difference does not actually mean the depth changed by that amount. My basic geometry tells me that the 0.1mm gap by Wolfman is really measuring the hypotenuse-gap created by the 'triangle' of top cap (leg), shave plate (leg), and shave plane (hypotenuse again). A better set of calipers might find the depth to be something like 0.07mm or some such. Just sharing my math thoughts with y'all (and I may be way, way off--enjoying a martini tonight, have you noticed all these words?).

WR2 1.05 is first, 1.15 is second.

1.05.png

1.15.png

Hello Gents,

My number just came up on my first Wolfman so I’m looking for a little last minute advice/validation on my gap choice.

I shave every other day and my current favorite razor by a mile is the ti Blackbird. Based on that preference and what I’ve read on here I’m leaning towards a 1.25 on a 90mm hollow wrh2.

I am a bit tempted to go higher in gap though because no one seems to have anything bad to say about them - the consensus seems to be they are still smooth and comfortable, just more efficient.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Hello Gents,

My number just came up on my first Wolfman so I’m looking for a little last minute advice/validation on my gap choice.

I shave every other day and my current favorite razor by a mile is the ti Blackbird. Based on that preference and what I’ve read on here I’m leaning towards a 1.25 on a 90mm hollow wrh2.

I am a bit tempted to go higher in gap though because no one seems to have anything bad to say about them - the consensus seems to be they are still smooth and comfortable, just more efficient.
FWIW, I believe the WR2 1.25 and Blackbird to be equal in efficiency. The Bird has more blade feel, IMO. So if you want greater efficiency, a higher gap is warranted, without sacrificing smoothness.

My experience was like this: I really liked the 1.25 but very soon wondered what the higher gaps would feel like, so I waited and ordered a 1.45 which I also really like. It's is no more difficult to use than my Brass'Bird.

I had a 1.15/1.35 WR2 and ended up selling it. Just didn’t wow me over. I also love the Ti bird. Just paid my invoice for a WR1 .80 as I like slim heads and positive exposure. A lot of people love the WR2 but there are a few of us that just didn’t get along with it

I had a 1.15/1.35 WR2 and ended up selling it. Just didn’t wow me over. I also love the Ti bird. Just paid my invoice for a WR1 .80 as I like slim heads and positive exposure. A lot of people love the WR2 but there are a few of us that just didn’t get along with it
I look forward to your thoughts on the WR1, as I'm probably about a month away from getting my own invoice.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
You write this now!?! And all I want is the unicorn DE razor that is aggressive with limited to no blade feel. Perhaps I need to get back on the list for the 1.25. Enabler! :a11:
Hey, I never said the Bird has no blade feel — it does; but with a steep angle and sharp blade, it is also smooth and incredibly efficient. If you want ‘no’ blade feel, you might want to go with a 1.05 or 1.15 SB. Just my .02.

Hey, I never said the Bird has no blade feel — it does; but with a steep angle and sharp blade, it is also smooth and incredibly efficient. If you want ‘no’ blade feel, you might want to go with a 1.05 or 1.15 SB. Just my .02.
I shave five days per week with the WR2 1.15 SB, currently using Personna Platinum Red razor blades. I would agree that it has little to no blade feel. Yes, it could be a tad more efficient for my liking but blade feel typically translates to irritation for me, particularly after day three or four of consecutive shaves. I think I will likely try the 1.25 when my name comes up again but I have a feeling that all it will do is confirm that the 1.15 is the sweet spot for me. In the meantime, maybe I'll try a Feather at some point with my 1.15 to see if that improves the efficiency without sacrificing comfort.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I shave five days per week with the WR2 1.15 SB, currently using Personna Platinum Red razor blades. I would agree that it has little to no blade feel. Yes, it could be a tad more efficient for my liking but blade feel typically translates to irritation for me, particularly after day three or four of consecutive shaves. I think I will likely try the 1.25 when my name comes up again but I have a feeling that all it will do is confirm that the 1.15 is the sweet spot for me. In the meantime, maybe I'll try a Feather at some point with my 1.15 to see if that improves the efficiency without sacrificing comfort.
Don't have a 1.15 but can report that Feather blades work beautifully in the WR2 1.25-SB. :thumbup1:

Hi !
I need some advices from Wolfman-owners.
I put my name on the list a while ago, and I need to finalize my choice before receiving my invoice in a couple of months or so.

I shave everyday and like efficiency and blade feel.

At the moment, I’m using a DS Cosmetics Z0 (R41 clone) everyday without any major problems or irritations. I like it very much as it is *very* efficient. Quite aggressive and gives some blade feel, it needs good technique.
My other razor is a 1934 Gillette New LC open comb. Smoother than the Z0, very efficient too, though a bit less than the Z0, some blade feel. Great to use too.

I have read several threads on Wolfman razor but I’m still not sure which one to choose.
I would like to have a very efficient razor (read something like or close to the Z0), with some blade feel.

so:
- WR1 or WR2? (WR2 seems to be the go to choice of most, WR1 seems to have more blade feel and a thinner head)
- which gap would bring me near the Z0/R41 ?
- Open comb or Solid Bar?

Thank you very much!

If you like blade feel, you would probably prefer a WR1 in a higher gap—perhaps .94. I would also recommend an OC.

I have a WR1 OC (gap: .86) and a WR2 SB (gap: 1.25). The WR1 is much closer to an R41, IMO.

Top Bottom