What's new

Wolfman Guerilla 2023 compared to WR1

Gentleman,
I recently bought a Wolfman Guerrilla. 54, and like it really much.
Thinking that a WR1 would be a great addition to my little collection, I subscribed to the waiting list.
Now my question is, has anyone of you an Guerilla .54 (2023), and an WR1 in a configuration that is similar or near to it?
Is the Guerilla eaven comparable to the WR1 in any way?
You're Input would be much appreciated.

I can not say what to buy, I am eyeing a WR-2, Scalloped Edge, .95, with Crown Handle with Hole for Weight Reduction in Stannless Steel. Not sure I want Phase II, finish between Basic, or Polished.

Maybe a little more Input about me.
The razor that works best for me and my face, is my CG gen2 lvl 2 sb brass.
If there is a wr1 that shaves like that, i probably buy two.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Maybe a little more Input about me.
The razor that works best for me and my face, is my CG gen2 lvl 2 sb brass.
If there is a wr1 that shaves like that, i probably buy two.
I have two CG gen 2 level 2 razors, and a gen 1 level 2. Plus a WR1 .80 OC. They are all quite comparable in effectiveness. But the shave feel is obviously different, even though the end results are quite similar. It’s like comparing a muscle car to a sports car.

Thank you for the insight.
Are you sure you would compare an CG lvl 2 to a wr1 .80 oc?
Thats more CG lvl 3 territory, I assume?
As far as my experience goes, my WR2 and my CG share a more comparable head geometry, thats why I'm asking for a comparison between a WR1, and the Guerilla .54 that I own.
I suppose thats more of a sports car vs sports car comparison?

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Thank you for the insight.
Are you sure you would compare an CG lvl 2 to a wr1 .80 oc?
Thats more CG lvl 3 territory, I assume?
As far as my experience goes, my WR2 and my CG share a more comparable head geometry, thats why I'm asking for a comparison between a WR1, and the Guerilla .54 that I own.
I suppose thats more of a sports car vs sports car comparison?
Two things. First, you can’t go by gap numbers. The WR1 .80 OC is somewhere in the neighborhood of a 1.20 gap on a WR2. I’ve had a 1.15 and 1.25 in tHe WR2, and the .80 WR1 is somewhere between them in terms of efficiency and aggression.

Second, my face is not your face. I can shave with my WR1 without any issues regularly, but the CG level 3 (Gen 1 or 2) tears me up if I am not extremely careful and pay full attention with every stroke. You could be just the opposite. Only you can find that out.

I shaved with a Gen 2 Level 2 this morning, and I still contend it is in the same relative ballpark as the WR1 .80 OC. They are two of my favorite razors, and both hit the sweet spot for me. Along with the WR2 1.15, the Ti Bird, and and the Blackland Tradere OC… that rounds out my current top 5 modern razors in my rotation.

So yes I am sure. But your mileage may vary, as always. 😎

I have the original Guerrilla .69 and borrowed the new .54 razor. The original is milder than a standard gap WR1 and both Guerrillas were near identical in efficiency. The new one has a smidge more blade presence and supports the blade better. There are substantial lather slots in the old razor. The open comb is a definite improvement and ups the efficiency for sure. The WR1 is the better design but the Guerrilla is a smooth shaver.

IMG_0620.jpg
IMG_0621.jpg

Wish I could be more help. For me the WR1 0.74 SB is about perfect! I prefer ‘mild/moderate’ range razors that offer rigid blade support.

I don’t have a Guerrilla, so can’t offer a comparison.

So Gentleman.
A good friend borrowed me his WR1 DC .61sb/.67oc head.
What better thing to do, then use it for a shave off.
This was my second shave with the WR1, so there was a little understanding already.
Today I used it on the Guerilla handle, with a Nacet, that was alternated with every pass.

Here the full setup,
Pre: hot shower, with a PAA Cube treatment
Soap: Wholly Kaw Washington's Blend
Brush: Chisel & Hound 26mm Fanchurian
Blade: Gillette Nacet (2)
Razor: Wolfman Guerrilla .54sb/ WR1 DC .61sb/.67oc both Stainless Steel
AS: Williams Aqua Velva
Care: Weleda Skinfood light

This shave was on a face with 3 days worth of growth, and I worked through 3 passes (WTG, XTG, ATG).
The left half of my face was the Guerilla side, the right was wr1 territory (switching between sb, and oc side).

First pass ATG,
The Guerilla did a smooth understated job.
3 days no problem at all.
First pass with the wr1 was on the .61sb side.
To be honest, I did not notice much of a difference to the .54.
They feel and shave very much the same for me.
Second pass XTG,
The Guerilla is just a very good daily shaver, smooth with enough efficiency that, after 3 passes you will be bbs.
Therfore second pass, like the first really good.
WR1,.67oc.
Now there is where it starts to get interesting.
The oc is still a more gentle shaver, but up's the efficiency noticeable.

I didn’t think a 3rd pass necessary, but for the sake of it, I carried on.

3rd pass,
No surprises with the Guerilla.
I like that it has a more tame blade gap, but has ever so slight blade feel.
I don't know if Wolfman stated if there was a small amount of exposure, or if its supposed to be neutral, but I do feel it a little, and like it that way.
With the wr1 I switched sides after every stroke, just for fun.
My preferred choice on this wr1 is definitely the .67oc.
At the end both sides of my face were bbs.

So what did I learn.
The Guerilla .54 and the wr1 .61sb shave pretty much the same for me.
The .67oc would be very interesting, but I would still prefer a sb version, hoping it's as good as the oc.

At the end though it's still a case of ymmv,
and someone else would have a very different experience.
I for my part can close this chapter now, and order a wr1 with a blade gap that's definitely bigger than a .61, simply because it doesn't feel very different from my Guerilla .54.

20230628_201536.jpg

The wr1 head was mounted on an Razorock super knurled handle for this picture.

Well, that's the best way to decide. To be honest I prefer the WR1 in the open comb over the solid bar.

Did you start with the ATG pass?

Your right of course, the first pass was WTG.
The oc does bring something different to the table, but I don't know if I would reach for it less, just because it isn't a sb.
Old dogs, I suppose.

Top Bottom