What's new

Wolfman: On the waiting list. Questions.

Hello, gents,

I’m on the above waiting list for a WR1 SB with .74 gap and WHR2 handle (90 mm)

I’m hoping when my turn is up, I can perhaps modify the order to include an OC plate, but we’ll see.

Currently, I love my Blackbird SB and OC so not sure I will even pursue a Wolfman.

But my question is what is the comparable or better (eg smoother/same efficiency) Wolfman Head/SB/OC gap and what would the recommendations be?

Is it the WR1 .54, .61, .67 or .74 or a WR2 configuration?

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@Direwolf76

Though I have never owned or even shaved with a Wolfman I have read many threads on them and from what I've read if you are trying to get the BB shave from a WR1, you need to look more at either a .80 or .94 WR1 to be equivalent... From my understanding what makes the BB, (SB or OC), such an efficient shave is not the gap but the blade reveal which is quite pronounced on the BB. Then again I could be completely wrong here but I think I'm close!!

The person here on B&B that could give you a more thorough answer would be @Hannah's Dad

Thanks, gents.

As I understand, if you filled out the Google Form, you will eventually be contacted, though it could take up to a year.

With regards to BB/Wolfman, I can’t say but yes, I think you’re correct. For the BB, the exposure/head geometry is the thing.

The question is which Wolfman which plate/head combo would be as, if not more, efficient, but possibly smoother.

DW.

Thanks, gents.

As I understand, if you filled out the Google Form, you will eventually be contacted, though it could take up to a year.

With regards to BB/Wolfman, I can’t say but yes, I think you’re correct. For the BB, the exposure/head geometry is the thing.

The question is which Wolfman which plate/head combo would be as, if not more, efficient, but possibly smoother.

DW.

If you don't mind me asking, how long did you wait until you were on the list?

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
If you love the efficiency of the ‘Bird but want a smoother (less blade feel) ride, I highly recommend a WR2 1.25SB. I did a shave-off on these two razors — both provided a remarkably close shave; the Wolfman had less-pronounced blade feel.

For similar blade feel as the Bird, you might also like the WR1 .86 OC or .94 OC — I owned the latter but sold it because it was just too ‘good’ for daily shaving. But if you’re a 3X per week shaver, the higher gaps could be your answer. The WR2 1.55 SB was a one-pass wonder.

Hope that helps.

If you don't mind me asking, how long did you wait until you were on the list?

I signed up in March and got the proceed with your order email at the start of this month.

No idea how the BB compares to the Wolfman, but think the WR1 would be a closer match as it has more blade feel v the WR2. How much blade exposure does the BB have, I know the gap is pretty close to the .54 WR1? I've tried the .80 OC and it is pretty smooth and less blade feel than anticipated.

I signed up in March and got the proceed with your order email at the start of this month.

No idea how the BB compares to the Wolfman, but think the WR1 would be a closer match as it has more blade feel v the WR2. How much blade exposure does the BB have, I know the gap is pretty close to the .54 WR1? I've tried the .80 OC and it is pretty smooth and less blade feel than anticipated.
Thank you.

Thanks for all the advice!

I still have plenty of time. I signed up at the the end of May so I assume I should hear in the New Year.

When the time comes, I will also ask Wolfman for advice. I’m told they are very friendly.

DW.

Yes, lots of time to think about gaps and options. If you are able to I'd recommend trying out (loan or buy) a gap or two before you get that email. They are pretty easy to sell afterwards if you are prepared to make the investment. I have tried a few to figure out my order. Or you may be trading your brand new razor straight away.

They are friendly, well they are Canadian after all, but you are unlikely to be able to talk to James directly.

I have had the WM WR2 with 1.45 head for a few months. Previously I owned the 1.25 gap, but sold it because I felt it duplicated other razors that I already owned. I also acquired recently the BlackBerry brass in SB. It shaves as well as my WM with less blade feel. When my name comes up again I'm going to try a high gap WR1.

I filled out his online form a few months ago. I have no idea if I am on the list or not.
Filled my form out March 28 and name came up this past Wednesday. There were no emails outside of auto google email after completing form - until my name came up

I have had the WM WR2 with 1.45 head for a few months. Previously I owned the 1.25 gap, but sold it because I felt it duplicated other razors that I already owned. I also acquired recently the BlackBerry brass in SB. It shaves as well as my WM with less blade feel. When my name comes up again I'm going to try a high gap WR1.
What did you feel the 1.25 duplicated? I just confirmed that and hope it doesn’t duplicate what I already have 🤨

What did you feel the 1.25 duplicated? I just confirmed that and hope it doesn’t duplicate what I already have 🤨
You chose well. If it hadn't been for the handle that I also did not really care for I could of easily kept it. There's good reason why that gap comes so highly recommended. Easy to use and very efficient, although beard types and frequency of shaving are often overlooked factors. "Duplicate" probably wasn't the best word to use, but the 1.25 was, for me, too similar to my Timeless, Raw and Charcoal Goods, and I decided that I wanted to see if the higher gapped Wolf's would add more variety to my collection. You'll love the 1.25.

You chose well. If it hadn't been for the handle that I also did not really care for I could of easily kept it. There's good reason why that gap comes so highly recommended. Easy to use and very efficient, although beard types and frequency of shaving are often overlooked factors. "Duplicate" probably wasn't the best word to use, but the 1.25 was, for me, too similar to my Timeless, Raw and Charcoal Goods, and I decided that I wanted to see if the higher gapped Wolf's would add more variety to my collection. You'll love the 1.25.

I was really close to going with a higher gap, but figured it best to start out with something a little more in the middle. Worst case can trade it if it’s too similar to my timeless. 1.45/1.55 just felt like such a big jump... thank you for your input!

Good morning, gents,

I did some more reading last night about BB:Wolfman and it does seem the 1.25 or even the 1.35 is a sweet spot for comparison. The author indicated that 1.25 would align with Timeless .95 SB and 1.35 with BB.

The review said it’s much smoother in the sense that there is reduced audio feedback when compared to BB. Funny, that’s something I like about BB.

How is the WR1 vs 2 different where the wider gaps in the latter are not a source of irritation? I would have thought the .61 or .74 would be comparable. Head geometry and exposure must be the reason. I had a Karve Plate D (.098) and found this irritated my skin.

Any insight appreciated.

DW.

I've seen the Tatara Nodachi compared to the BB, maybe this helps with picking a similar geometry.
Nodachi is .90 gap and +0.13 exposure
I tried the Nodachi and found the .80 WR1 smoother so you may need to go for a higher Wolfman gap.

Hi, gents!

Wolfman contacted me today asking to confirm my order (WR1, .74, WRH2 90mm, 94g).

Decisions, decisions. The Blackbird SB is great every other day or OC 4+ days. If I had to rank the razors I’ve tried:

1. BB.
2. Tatara (Neutral exposure, .63 gap)
3. Karve Brass C.
4. Rockwell R5.

Really not sure. Thoughts? TIA!

Top Bottom