What's new

Witch Hazel, particularly Thayer's, is the most misleading fraud on wet shavers

Having used the pure, organic witch hazel extract hydrosol, there's only a slight difference between the cheap stuff and the expensive. The expensive smells better and, because there is no alcohol, i'd imagine it's less drying.
I am going to try and find some of the pure stuff...I am sure it must be better...especially if there is no alcohol.

I'm pretty annoyed and do feel deceived. All this time I was led to believe that steel belted radials were superior to fabric belted.

This thread makes me chuckle in amusement. As if all the thousands of before and after pics on Amazon and fans of this product are all suckers experiencing the same placebo effect. Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is someone has an irrational obsession with Thayers hate.

:taz::a29:

The following comes from Dr. Rappaport's website dealing with witch hazel. She is a dermatologist:

There are a variety of natural substances that people have used on their skin in their daily regimen. Passed down from generation to generation, these natural remedies have caused skepticism among those who believe in the power of prescription medication and products developed specifically for skin care. The truth is that some of these natural substances can do wonders for your skin, one of those being witch hazel. Witch hazel is excellent for your skin and should be implemented in your daily regimen. It has several properties that benefit your skin in numerous ways. Here are just a few:

It treats acne. Witch hazel is a natural astringent that decreases oil and reduces inflammation. It is a bit milder than salicylic acid, so for those who have sensitive skin, witch hazel can be a much-needed relief. Implement witch hazel in place of a toner in your daily regimen.

It moisturizes your skin. While getting rid of extra oil in your skin, witch hazel also locks in the essential moisture. Witch hazel has properties that hydrate the outer layer of skin, giving you soft skin and a glow. Use it daily in your routine all over your skin.

It soothes sunburn. Witch hazel also soothes sunburn by reducing the amount of inflammation within the injury, easing the pain and redness. Use it on the sunburned patch of skin until the sunburn is gone.

It soothes irritations. Along the same lines as soothing sunburn, witch hazel also uses its anti-inflammatory properties to reduce common irritations such as rashes and scratches.

It is slightly effective against some germs. Witch hazel has been proven to be somewhat effective against weak, common germs, meaning that small viruses can be prevented and treated with witch hazel.
When I first started shaving my father gave me a tech razor, a no-name brush, soap to make lather, and a bottle of WH. I started using WH after every shave and have always applied it. I remember when I was a youngster going to a barbershop. After the barber trimmed and shaved the back of your head he would apply WH and powder.

When I joined B&B I read some posts that I found intriguing. One of the posts was about Thayers WH. I tried it and liked it and have been using it since.

I use Thayer's witch hazel Lemon, Lavender, or Rose depends on mood after every shave. and its great on my face if I don't use It I know about it dry skin all day.

I like Thayer's Lavender. It's light, refreshing, and the scent doesn't last long at all unlike most aftershaves. If I want to wear a nice cologne for date night with my wife, I'll use Thayer's and skip the AS. I have a couple AS, but forget wearing cologne on those days.

I purchased "real deal" witch hazel once, and it smells like old beef jerky to me. The smell was so horrid that I never used it again. Thayer's smells nice, I'll give it that. But for soothing qualities, give me some Lucky Tiger.

I use T.N. Dickinson’s witch hazel which has no scent added. It is 96% witch hazel and 4% alcohol. I don’t have a problem with the scent. I can’t really describe it. But I like the healing properties it offers.

There's a very simple and effective solution to this problem: Anyone who likes this product can keep using it. Anyone who doesn't like it can PIF their bottles. :badger:

My Dickenson's Witch Hazel formula says 'all natural ingredients' with 14% alcohol.

BTW, I have some Tucks hemorrhoidal pads that the active ingredient is 50% Witch Hazel, and it does work. So Witch Hazel must be good for something.

I use my Dickenson's Witch Hazel after every shave, and before I use aftershave. At $4.00 for a 16 oz bottle it will last for a long time and doesn't break the bank. I figured that if it soothes hemorrhoids it cannot help but condition my face after scraping it with a razor. If some think it's a waste of money, I can't say you are wrong, but I will continue to use it.

There is no need to spread FUD.

If I understand this correctly (please correct me if I am wrong):

"Witch Hazel, USP" is sold and regulated (by the FDA) as a DRUG. It will have a "black box" on the label titled DRUG FACTS listing very specific information in a very specific format (including ACTIVE INGREDIENTS and INACTIVE INGREDIENTS).

Thayers Witch Hazel products* are regulated (by the FDA as well) as COSMETICS. There will be no black box as cosmetics are not allowed to make any (therapeutic?) drug claims. A list of INGREDIENTS is still required to be displayed on the label.

There may be other witch hazel products that are sold and regulated (again, FDA) as BOTH a drug AND a cosmetic. Because of any therapeutic claims, the black box would still be required for such products.

Clear as mud?

That being said, I have no affiliation with Thayers and/or any other witch hazel-containing product manufacturers/distributors/companies. Actually, I think witch hazel kind of stinks.

Finally, I am a bit surprised that the mods allowed/kept the word FRAUD in the title of the this thread.

Thanks,
Mike

* (The exception is their Medicated Sperhazel formula, which IS sold and regulated as a drug and HAS a Drug Facts black box. Intererstingly enough, the active ingredient in this product is NOT witch hazel but rather camphor.)

PS: OFF TOPIC: Does anyone know if Aqua Velva will be releasing a holiday gift pack that includes the Original Sport (green) aftershave--like they did last year?

In comparing the labels for Dickinson's and Thayer's, Dickinson's is clearly 96% witch hazel and 4% alcohol. Thayer's does not put any percentage data on their label but note that the first ingredient is water, second is aloe, third is Glycerin. It is not until the fourth ingredient do we see any reference to witch hazel. It is possible that because so little witch hazel is in Thayer's version it can be considered a cosmetic while Dickinson's would be considered a drug. I'm not sure any of this makes much difference anyway. Despite the OPs assertions to the contrary, the reality is that Thayers as well as the other sellers of witch hazel products are being quite transparent in what they are selling. Any question can be assuaged by looking at the ingredients list. So, my own conclusion, not that it's worth anything, is that there is no fraud perpetrated by Thayer's or any other of the major suppliers of witch hazel products. And I too find irritation relief from its use and will continue to use my Dickinson's version or the supermarket brand of witch hazel after every shave as I have done since starting DE shaving 1 1/2 years ago.

having used a "natural, organic" WH product, I really couldn't say it worked any better or worse than the commercial store bought stuff. I'm now mixing the two together

Top Bottom