What's new

Witch Hazel, particularly Thayer's, is the most misleading fraud on wet shavers

Aside from the type (when I use Witch Hazel, it's the stuff you find in pharmacy), is it correct that US Witch Hazel is all harvested from the wild and isn't cultivated?

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Aside from the type (when I use Witch Hazel, it's the stuff you find in pharmacy), is it correct that US Witch Hazel is all harvested from the wild and isn't cultivated?
Rumour is that there are a few secret location covens that the US manufacturers collectively keep all the witches. When a new batch of WH is needed, my understanding is that it is up to the coven members to determine which of their members goes into "the press" to have their juices extracted.

I am amazed at the amount of misinformation that exists about witch hazel. First, almost all of the witch hazel made today comes from one company: American Distilling. They then sell the product to various companies who then use it in their products. You can find all of the uses and strengths here. They can make WH in any strength or for any product. In addition to skin care products, WH is used for hair care, eyewash preparations, eye gels, mouthwashes and personal hygiene products.

I don't know witch of you to believe. :) Actually, I use both Thayer's Medicated (I like the smell of clove) and Dickinson's lemon (at least I think it's lemon) witch hazel before my "splash" of aftershave lotion. No, no, not both at the same time but I use 'both'. I like them both but separately, one on one night and the other on another night but not together. :)

I was going to buy Thayer's once or twice, but I always put it back on the shelf when I read the ingredients list (before reading this post). It's just too expensive for me. So instead I grabbed the store brand and have been using that. Does it work? I sure hope it does...something. But at $1.50 it's a much smaller blow to the wallet than $10. I also follow it up with an aftershave (higher alcohol content) and then with a moisturizer. Every SINGLE time.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
The $1.50 stuff is what you get when Witches that only are how to cast a "wart hex" are pressed. The more spells the press-ee knows, the better the juice and more expensive it is.

Plain ol' Dickinson's mixed with my favorite cheap aftershave works great for me. I've tried Humphrey's and Thayers and even Dickinson's with a fragrance, and all irritated my face. My face burned and got red like I'd been in the sun all day. I find regular witch hazel very soothing after a shave.

The $1.50 stuff is what you get when Witches that only are how to cast a "wart hex" are pressed. The more spells the press-ee knows, the better the juice and more expensive it is.

Does that mean they're baby witches or just flunked out of Hogwarts?

The term "witch" is almost generic. Education varies. First, you have your private boarding schools (popular in Europe), like Hogwarts. But there are also public schools systems. Most of the professional Quidditch players come through public school systems, and attend magic universities on scholarships. But not all witches attend the universities. Some seek basic employment right out of secondary school (such as in construction, taking jobs as ditch witches), while others go to trade schools. Graduates of these actually constitute the bulk of the witch workforce. Your common witch hazel, found beside the more expensive stuff, comes from industrial witch hazel, which is turned out in bulk quantities in magic factories.

There is a sharp rivalry between these journeymen conjurors and the university sorcery graduates who turn out artisan witch hazel that is much more expensive that the industrial. According to the journeymen conjurors, their product is actually the better, adhering to stricter standards and quality control. The sorcerers counter that the industrial product is hardly the same as their product, which is made in the traditional manner in much smaller batches.

Of course, being cheaper, the industrial witch hazel dominates the potions, drugs, and cosmetic markets. Unfortunately, the JMWU (Journeyman Magic Worker's Union) is in the middle of a strike due to a contract dispute, leading to a depletion of industrial witch hazel, with only the more expensive products, which rely on artisan witch hazel, remaining on the shelves.

When asked about the strike, the JMWU said neither side was near an agreement, so it looks like the strike could go on for a spell.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
The term "witch" is almost generic. Education varies. First, you have your private boarding schools (popular in Europe), like Hogwarts. But there are also public schools systems...

Let's hope the strike does not go on for a spell.

My daughter was brought an invitation by an owl, but we couldn't qualify for the scholarship. Apparently, the public schools are filled with rich witches and poor witches.

You post helps me understand the brew I use every morning. I knew already it was magic.

Happy shaves,

Jim

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
I have good experiences with Humphrey’s. It’s got a much stronger herbal scent than regular Thayer’s. I usually use just that and nothing else after a shave actually.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I don't use WH but I did buy a few bottles at whole foods one paid thru the nose. But then again that's true with mist things there.

SGold said:
Witch Hazel, particularly Thayer's, is the most misleading fraud on wet shavers. Per FDA regulation, witch hazel is to be distilled just from the twigs with a 14% alcohol ratio to be labeled Witch Hazel astringent. As you can see from my linked article, in reality the whole tree is used which dilutes the active witch hazel ingredient that is concentrated in the twigs. The FDA does not crack down and enforce this regulation. Due to this it is argued that it is the actual alcohol that renders the astringent effects. Furthermore there is only one sole witch hazel distiller that provides all witch hazel for all brands. These secondary producers buy from this sole supplier then either re-label, add ingredients, or remove the alcohol.
Thayers is mostly high priced bottled water as one can determine from the Ingredient List. By law all labels must list ingredients in order from most to least. Their first ingredient is water followed by alcohol at 10%. This means every ingredient after alcohol is less than 10%. Next is Aloe Vera, then followed by witch hazel. It's contribution to the formula is so small that it is fraudulent to call it Witch Hazel in big letters in my opinion. They only call it astringent because of the 10% alcohol as you will notice they call their alcohol free versions a "toner". Their alcohol free toners contain even less witch hazel than their Original Formula which is evident from their Alcohol Free Rose Petal Ingredient List. As you can see their "Fragrance" comes before Witch Hazel. Typically accepted safe levels of fragrance for leave on face products is 1-2%. So what does that tell you? Also they claim that GSE (Grapefruit Seed Extract) is a natural preservative. GSE is not a preservative in its uncontaminated natural state, rather it is an antioxidant that can prolong rancidity (oxidization not microbes). The way Thayers can fool you and use synthetic preservatives without disclosure is through their "Fragrance" which can be completely artificial petrochemicals and preservatives that are protected as trade secrets by the FDA as long as they use the term "Fragrance". Note they have more fragrance than witch hazel in their mostly water based product. Many wet shavers are under a placebo effect if they think it is good post-shave skin care.
I get mine from an old fashioned chemist shop in England - they make it in house, from twigs and tips, and sell it by the ounce to the gallon in both alcohol and alcohol free. It's great stuff. Thayer's has a cool label though.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I get mine from an old fashioned chemist shop in England - they make it in house, from twigs and tips, and sell it by the ounce to the gallon in both alcohol and alcohol free. It's great stuff. Thayer's has a cool label though.
wow cool... you could repackage that stuff and sell it ;)

I've been finding T.N. Dickinson's for between $3 and $4 for a 16 oz. bottle. The stuff does not stink like store brands and comes in a nice bottle. I see no reason to spend more. Scented witch hazel like Thayer's is meaningless to me since I always follow the witch hazel with either scented balm or aftershave or both. So I prefer the unscented stuff. Just give me the medicinal qualities of the stuff at a reasonable cost. I bought my son Thayers with lemon scent because he has issues with smells. He's been shaving since this past August, and over the past 6 months he's used up about 15% of the bottle. I paid $7.53 for the 12 oz. bottle, significantly more than the Dickinson's.

Anyone who feels like they've been mislead by this fraudulent abuse of innocent witches is more than welcome to PIF their Thayers bottles to those who like it. As if there weren't enough bad things happening in the Harry Potter universe. Win win! :badger:

proxy.php

Do you ever drink root beer and wonder why you didn't get drunk? Maybe it's an insidious fraud too?

I was out with someone recently who informed me in all seriousness that the unlabeled glass bottle of water the server kept on our table was secretly just city tap water. I didn't want to see her again after that profound revelation. :a34:

We have several testimonials and anectotal evidence of people saying they prefer the Thayers brand of Witch Hazel (Even though now we know that Thayers has a smaller concentration of pure witch hazel).

Perhaps the conclusion we can draw is that full strength Dickersons witch hazel may be "too strong". So I am did my own experiment this week using generic witch hazel mixed 50% with Rose water 1:1

And will report back my results. I know there is another member here that mentioned in a separate thread that he uses 50% witch hazel and 50% rose water mixed. @TheVez2

I found a small mister spray bottle to put it in, Wish I had thought sooner about how much more convenient it is to apply it with a spray compared to splashing it on with your hand (Where at least 30% of the product is wasted and ends up in the sink after bouncing off of your face and/or falling off the edge of the cliff that is your jawline and never reaching your neck ).

Last edited:
Top Bottom