What's new

How to get a comfortable shave

Sounds like we should team up!

Yeah I was having a little layoff. I am awaiting a delivery of a VERY fancy custom razor and I want to test shave it with a healed up face. And healing up it does not want to do... Change of weather also irritates me, so I changed my skincare a little. But still the same. If I do go for a shave it is amazing. But my hairs still tend to grow into it a day after so I end up with red patches. I suspect this happens in areas where I wasn't exactly hitting WTG, or in hollows where I overstretch and do more strokes to get everything.

But generally yes, the lower the angle, the lighter the pressure, the better the shave, given that the edge is decent. I do work on stretching right now to look for improvement.
Count me in on the team up!

Skin care is important and only you will know what’s best for you.

I still get some ingrown hairs here and there, but they seem to be decreasing in quantity. I wish I knew why so I could do more of whatever is reducing them! I notice them in areas I struggle with, so it may very well be too many passes. I’ll try to pay attention tonight and report back to you. Some of the whiskers seem magical at avoiding the blade. There’s a perfectly shaved area with 3 untouched whiskers in the middle of it!

I found a few spots where if I stretch horizontally or at an angle instead of vertically it does the trick. I still have trouble spots I need to figure out. Funny faces, air in the cheek, pressing with the tongue, you name it, I’m trying it. One thing that helped a little is tough to describe. Say I’m working on the right side, blow some air into the cheek, if I shift my lips to the left, it improves the stretch and shave. Imagine pointing with your lips at something to your far left. I know it sounds weird. I wish I could describe it better. This even helps on the neck.

LOL on the fancy razor on order! RAD is real! I just bought an old Le Grelot I’m waiting for. I’m also trying very hard not to buy a Dorko 1151 (man it’s gorgeous). I bought a Naniwa 12k and a $15 Genco razor to practice honing. I already have the 4/8k Norton. That darn $15 razor is awesome! It turned out to shave better than some of the professionally honed razors I have. I’m going to give it to a friend to learn with Since he expressed interest.

Heres some razors I don’t own, want, and probably can’t afford…. They’re so beautiful I’m not sure I’d use it if I had one.

Attachments

• IMG_3618.jpeg
    IMG_3618.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3619.jpeg
    IMG_3619.jpeg
    216.1 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3620.jpeg
    IMG_3620.jpeg
    773.9 KB · Views: 9
Count me in on the team up!

Skin care is important and only you will know what’s best for you.

I still get some ingrown hairs here and there, but they seem to be decreasing in quantity. I wish I knew why so I could do more of whatever is reducing them! I notice them in areas I struggle with, so it may very well be too many passes. I’ll try to pay attention tonight and report back to you. Some of the whiskers seem magical at avoiding the blade. There’s a perfectly shaved area with 3 untouched whiskers in the middle of it!

I found a few spots where if I stretch horizontally or at an angle instead of vertically it does the trick. I still have trouble spots I need to figure out. Funny faces, air in the cheek, pressing with the tongue, you name it, I’m trying it. One thing that helped a little is tough to describe. Say I’m working on the right side, blow some air into the cheek, if I shift my lips to the left, it improves the stretch and shave. Imagine pointing with your lips at something to your far left. I know it sounds weird. I wish I could describe it better. This even helps on the neck.

LOL on the fancy razor on order! RAD is real! I just bought an old Le Grelot I’m waiting for. I’m also trying very hard not to buy a Dorko 1151 (man it’s gorgeous). I bought a Naniwa 12k and a $15 Genco razor to practice honing. I already have the 4/8k Norton. That darn $15 razor is awesome! It turned out to shave better than some of the professionally honed razors I have. I’m going to give it to a friend to learn with Since he expressed interest.

Heres some razors I don’t own, want, and probably can’t afford…. They’re so beautiful I’m not sure I’d use it if I had one.
Oof, I understand the struggle not to buy the Dorko! I bought a fancy, classy 8/8 custom, pics will come Once I have it in hand.

I know what you mean with the stretching and lips I use it a lot haha. But on my neck where I tend to get ingrowns, sometimes too much stretching, while improving the shave alone, will eventually result in more ingrowns.

I don't get those pimple looking bumps anymore. What I get is that the skin turns red and itchy, 24-36 hours after a shave, even if right after the shave it was perfectly clear and Happy. I suspect it's because the hair lays extremely low and is curly, so if I cut too close, it will cause issues during growing out. Not pimples anymore, but still enough to make me look terrible. Only now I am paying more attention to it, along with Every other time my skin goes red, which is quite often actually.

So thats why I'm pumping the brakes for now. I got more than enough safety razors, blades, straights, stones, soaps, creams, aftershaves, whatever... The products alone are not enough. I have to pay extreme attention to get a shave which is OCD perfect. Most importantly, to be able to enjoy what I have and not feel the need to buy more, hoping it would help, knowing it probably won't.

But more updates coming! Just gotta contemplate about it a little.

Oof, I understand the struggle not to buy the Dorko! I bought a fancy, classy 8/8 custom, pics will come Once I have it in hand.

I know what you mean with the stretching and lips I use it a lot haha. But on my neck where I tend to get ingrowns, sometimes too much stretching, while improving the shave alone, will eventually result in more ingrowns.

I don't get those pimple looking bumps anymore. What I get is that the skin turns red and itchy, 24-36 hours after a shave, even if right after the shave it was perfectly clear and Happy. I suspect it's because the hair lays extremely low and is curly, so if I cut too close, it will cause issues during growing out. Not pimples anymore, but still enough to make me look terrible. Only now I am paying more attention to it, along with Every other time my skin goes red, which is quite often actually.

So thats why I'm pumping the brakes for now. I got more than enough safety razors, blades, straights, stones, soaps, creams, aftershaves, whatever... The products alone are not enough. I have to pay extreme attention to get a shave which is OCD perfect. Most importantly, to be able to enjoy what I have and not feel the need to buy more, hoping it would help, knowing it probably won't.

But more updates coming! Just gotta contemplate about it a little.
I look forward to the pictures of your custom 8/8! I think I’m going to have to learn from your wisdom. I’m going to stop buying toys and enjoy the pile of razors I already have.

Hmmm. That redness is a mystery. I’m no dermatologist but think you may be on to something. If it is happening that much later, it could be the new growth, a reaction to something else (soap or other product), or maybe even allergies. Does it itch? Does moisturizer help? I’ve had my fair share of similar issues. Don’t mean to pry, just wondering if something I’ve encountered may help.

I look forward to the pictures of your custom 8/8! I think I’m going to have to learn from your wisdom. I’m going to stop buying toys and enjoy the pile of razors I already have.

Hmmm. That redness is a mystery. I’m no dermatologist but think you may be on to something. If it is happening that much later, it could be the new growth, a reaction to something else (soap or other product), or maybe even allergies. Does it itch? Does moisturizer help? I’ve had my fair share of similar issues. Don’t mean to pry, just wondering if something I’ve encountered may help.
Yeah I hate doctors but I definitely should have Seen a dermatologist years ago. Anyway - yep, it's the new growth. As it is already flat to the skin, it "crawls" along it's surface with it's pointy end. As it is curly, some of it bends and stabs into the skin. I only have redness where it stays flat and curls. It itches a little, scratching only makes it worse. A few hairs almost always need a little help with tweezers to get out from underneath the extremely thin ,see-through, layer of skin. Nothing helps, only getting the hair growing right out of the skin. But thats tricky with my curly and very low laying hair on the neck. Where it's Also more sensitive to turning red when there is a little irritant present (vigorous use of a towel is enough, or massaging any products too much)

Again,

with a mach 5 - bumps, pimples, a lot of them

With a safety - a few bumps (pimples) and quite a lot of redness

With a straight - rarely a bump/ pimple but still some redness - just so much that if I continue to shave Every day it gets to a Point where I just need to take a Brake for at least 3-4 days.

So I went from a catastrophe lasting a week or two to some redness that goes away in 2-4 days. But I got some shaves in that were just next to perfect. But that is like 1 in 100. So I'm trying to chase that 1% and make keep it hapening daily.

Yes I caused unnecesary damage to my skin before (being heavy handed, steaming hot water too much exfoliation), but I am educating myself and making active changes to banish Bad habits and build good ones.

Yeah I hate doctors but I definitely should have Seen a dermatologist years ago. Anyway - yep, it's the new growth. As it is already flat to the skin, it "crawls" along it's surface with it's pointy end. As it is curly, some of it bends and stabs into the skin. I only have redness where it stays flat and curls. It itches a little, scratching only makes it worse. A few hairs almost always need a little help with tweezers to get out from underneath the extremely thin ,see-through, layer of skin. Nothing helps, only getting the hair growing right out of the skin. But thats tricky with my curly and very low laying hair on the neck. Where it's Also more sensitive to turning red when there is a little irritant present (vigorous use of a towel is enough, or massaging any products too much)

Again,

with a mach 5 - bumps, pimples, a lot of them

With a safety - a few bumps (pimples) and quite a lot of redness

With a straight - rarely a bump/ pimple but still some redness - just so much that if I continue to shave Every day it gets to a Point where I just need to take a Brake for at least 3-4 days.

So I went from a catastrophe lasting a week or two to some redness that goes away in 2-4 days. But I got some shaves in that were just next to perfect. But that is like 1 in 100. So I'm trying to chase that 1% and make keep it hapening daily.

Yes I caused unnecesary damage to my skin before (being heavy handed, steaming hot water too much exfoliation), but I am educating myself and making active changes to banish Bad habits and build good ones.
Wow! You certainly have been through a gambit trying to get through this. I’m sorry to hear that, but it sure sounds like you’re on the right path and making progress. As much as I wish I had some great ideas and things to help, I think this is a personal journey (dealing with the sensitive skin, redness, and grumpy whiskers). If I hear or read anything that could help, I’ll definitely pass it along. The journey we can share is learning to use the straight.

I occasionally get the hairs growing just beneath the skin that require tweezers, but nothing like what you are dealing with.

Trust me, all of us made mistakes and I continue to do so. Too heavy handed, good ideas that were really bad. I’m a king of things like that.

I hate doctors too. I’m beginning to believe the key to a long healthy life is to avoid them.

Todays shave was a good learning experience. I did discover I was being too aggressive trying to get the stubborn spots. I tried stretching every which way to no avail. What did seem to help was coming at the area from a different direction with the razor. I will let you know how that goes tomorrow.

I look forward to the pictures of your custom 8/8!
She's home and She is picture perfect. In hand She seems much bigger. I think I will name her Lucille.

I will need to get use to shaving with a big blade and a heavy grind, but first shave with the edge honed by her maker was quite nice, different sensation than smaller blades and more hollow grinds.

PXL_20231123_171150424.jpg

She's home and She is picture perfect. In hand She seems much bigger. I think I will name her Lucille.

I will need to get use to shaving with a big blade and a heavy grind, but first shave with the edge honed by her maker was quite nice, different sensation than smaller blades and more hollow grinds.

View attachment 1752954
What a beauty! im glad you like it!

you have inspired me to pull out one of my old wedge razors. When I was trying the different razors, I remember the wedges being buttery smooth.

@HeavyD It's really nice. I am still getting used to the weight, size and sound feedback. I had two shaves with it and both were decent. The fact that I slowed down because of the respect for the new blade allowed me to pay a lot of attention to basics. And it might have improved my shaves a little. Right now my neck is really happy, 12h after a shave and pretty much clear of all problems like redness and bumps. But bumps might show up by the time I want to shave again. Still testing and learning, but veeeery pleased with the decision to buy it.

I went the opposite direction and have what I think is an extra hollow grind. I’ve been getting much better shaves. Extra hollows have been hard in the past, but this one is smooth. Maybe technique is improving!

Rather than post the whole thing again, I’ll put a link below.

how are things progressing for you?

I am now producing comfortable shaves reliably, no cuts, no irritation. It's all in the technique. I can finally switch between soaps and razors without any change in the shave. If I know how to use the soap I have, I'll make nice lather. If I know how to use the razor I have, I will have a nice shave. I did try to go with daily shaves again, but had to stop after 3 days since I kept adding an ingrown or two with each shave and once enough of them acumulated, I needed to take a break and let them grow out and heal the skin.

Anyways, right now I have a very decent skin overall, I started using retinol a few weeks ago so I should start seeing results soon, and I think I'm getting there. Shaves are improving. They are definitely comfortable. Just not daily yet!

Right so for anyone interested, I think I might have a decent answer to the question of how to get a comfortable shave.

Shave after shower, make some Nice lather (not dry soapy foam), stretch the skin while aiming to flatten it as much as possible, find the perfect angle - usually with the spine nearly touching the skin, and very gently swipe the lather, the hair will follow with the right angle.

Keyword - very gently. This was really difficult for me. I'm kind of big and I was always better in practical tasks that require strength. But shaving will punish using Pressure against the skin.

Now my shaves are consistently comfortable and have been for about a month. I've moved from trying stuff out to perfecting what I like. Still, my hair struggles to grow out but that is a skin issue. While less exfoliating helps with preventing irritation, it results in more hairs getting trapped. And so on and on the cycle goes, can't do much about it. So I'm trying to shift my focus. Shave whenever I can (usually every 2-5 days) and make the best out of it - pristine edge, perfect lather, maximum effort and some nicely smelling products. As for the always present red spots on my neck that are bothering me unexplainably... Screw em.

Hi TheBeast, have you tried using a salicylic toner as an aftershave? I may have missed it above, but it works wonders for me. I too have skin issues and also have whiskers that grow nearly flat to skin. Not a good combo. Anyhow, i use something like pictured below followed by a quality moisturizer and it seems to keep those strays from being trapped just under surface of skin. The SA (associated with aspirin) also reduces any redness.

Something to consider, but may want to check with your dermatologist as bio actives such as salicylic acid can reduce effectiveness of retinols depending on time of application or can can excessive dryness when used in combination with.

IMG_0637.jpeg

Oh, and prob dont want your dog (if you have one) licking your face should you use it. Not sure if its the same but aspirin lethal to dogs.

Hi TheBeast, have you tried using a salicylic toner as an aftershave? I may have missed it above, but it works wonders for me. I too have skin issues and also have whiskers that grow nearly flat to skin. Not a good combo. Anyhow, i use something like pictured below followed by a quality moisturizer and it seems to keep those strays from being trapped just under surface of skin. The SA (associated with aspirin) also reduces any redness.

Something to consider, but may want to check with your dermatologist as bio actives such as salicylic acid can reduce effectiveness of retinols depending on time of application or can can excessive dryness when used in combination with.

View attachment 1768412
Yep, salicylic, glycolic, pure crushed aspirin in aloe gel, toners, washes, creams. Its a popular little "hack", similar to Tend Skin. None of it helps much.

When I am already lathered up, the lather dries on me, because my skin tends to soak up all the moisture.
That may not be the only reason, or even a reason at all. I'm constantly adding more lather to my face as I shave, but that's because I live at an elevation of roughly 6100', meaning that water evaporates much faster than it does at sea level. If you live someplace high enough that you have to adjust cooking times because water boils at a lower temperature, as I do, this may be the reason your lather keeps drying. And, have you considered using a pre-shave oil and giving it a few minutes to absorb? I'm new to a SR, but I've found that doing that helps me get closer shaves without daily nicks. YMMV, of course, but it's at least worth considering.

That may not be the only reason, or even a reason at all. I'm constantly adding more lather to my face as I shave, but that's because I live at an elevation of roughly 6100', meaning that water evaporates much faster than it does at sea level. If you live someplace high enough that you have to adjust cooking times because water boils at a lower temperature, as I do, this may be the reason your lather keeps drying. And, have you considered using a pre-shave oil and giving it a few minutes to absorb? I'm new to a SR, but I've found that doing that helps me get closer shaves without daily nicks. YMMV, of course, but it's at least worth considering.
Elevation is not the issue and I do not find shaving oil to add much to my shave. I tried a few.

Top Bottom