What's new

Witch Hazel, particularly Thayer's, is the most misleading fraud on wet shavers

@Demaratus, according to my boss at work, the Process engineer, 5% (.8oz) glycerin in a 16oz bottle of store brand witch hazel (86/14) that we make is perfect for a post shave.

Monday morning before I left work, I asked him about it to confirm my math and that’s what he said.

This will maintain a better than 80% WH concentration. Technically, you also have to factor in the alcohol as well since it is mixed throughout and has astringent qualities as well. Because of this, if you add anything else, you have to account for the 6:1 ratio of WH to alcohol when doing your math to maintain the proper WH concentration.

AoM; B.O.S.S.;Knight of the Veg Table;MFR2019

Well that’s helpful to have a process engineer handy:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well that’s helpful to have a process engineer handy:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He’s a chemical engineer too. Lol. He’s worked for this company for 47 years and is retiring in December of this year (2020). He knows these formulas by heart.

AoM; B.O.S.S.;Knight of the Veg Table;MFR2019

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I use witch hazel a lot and Thayers medicated is a little better than other Witch Hazels because it has cloves and other ingredients that my skin likes if I'm having skin issues. Dickinson's make a good witch hazel also that is less expensive that I use as a aftershave blended in with other brand aftershaves if their scent is to strong.
Good skin toner they claim and there must be some truth to past users experiences.
To me a good aftershave should have some alcohol for preserving the shelf life and act as a astringent & antiseptic all in one . Witch Hazel has all those qualities in one bottle for a reasonable price it seems.

I use witch hazel daily as an aftershave and for after shower too. I used Thayers only because there's no other brand of witch hazel here. Consider fortunate to have Thayers albeit it is not easily found even in the pharmacies and supermarkets. I have Lemon specifically as an aftershave and Rose + Cucumber for after shower application.
I tend to have irritation on my neck from aggressive razors or over-shaving causing redness but after some WH Lemon...it will quickly subside.
To me...Thayers Witch Hazel does help...for now.

I use witch hazel daily as an aftershave and for after shower too. I used Thayers only because there's no other brand of witch hazel here. Consider fortunate to have Thayers albeit it is not easily found even in the pharmacies and supermarkets. I have Lemon specifically as an aftershave and Rose + Cucumber for after shower application.
I tend to have irritation on my neck from aggressive razors or over-shaving causing redness but after some WH Lemon...it will quickly subside.
Where is "here"?

How does the lemon smell? I've seen it before and been curious.

How does the lemon smell? I've seen it before and been curious.
Thayers Lemon have good lemony smell and somehow for me at least......that satisfying & refreshing lemonade on a hot day feel...and smell...especially after shaving and my trouble area..neck and lips...require immediate "refreshment"
I use it daily without fail....

This is a very intriguing read I need to look more into it but I haven’t used witch hazel or clubman ever. I have thought about buying some clubman aftershave but currently just use some good balms and I have one currently unopened from declaration grooming I am looking forward to trying though!

I have used w/h for over 20 yrs. T.N. Dickinson or whatever my barber gets, and I personally
find it to be beneficial. So, no matter what ‘twigs’ or ‘sticks’ it may or may not contain, I
find it works perfectly for all situations.

Top Bottom