What's new

Witch Hazel, particularly Thayer's, is the most misleading fraud on wet shavers

Witch Hazel, particularly Thayer's, is the most misleading fraud on wet shavers. Per FDA regulation, witch hazel is to be distilled just from the twigs with a 14% alcohol ratio to be labeled Witch Hazel astringent. As you can see from my linked article, in reality the whole tree is used which dilutes the active witch hazel ingredient that is concentrated in the twigs. The FDA does not crack down and enforce this regulation. Due to this it is argued that it is the actual alcohol that renders the astringent effects. Furthermore there is only one sole witch hazel distiller that provides all witch hazel for all brands. These secondary producers buy from this sole supplier then either re-label, add ingredients, or remove the alcohol.
Thayers is mostly high priced bottled water as one can determine from the Ingredient List. By law all labels must list ingredients in order from most to least. Their first ingredient is water followed by alcohol at 10%. This means every ingredient after alcohol is less than 10%. Next is Aloe Vera, then followed by witch hazel. It's contribution to the formula is so small that it is fraudulent to call it Witch Hazel in big letters in my opinion. They only call it astringent because of the 10% alcohol as you will notice they call their alcohol free versions a "toner". Their alcohol free toners contain even less witch hazel than their Original Formula which is evident from their Alcohol Free Rose Petal Ingredient List. As you can see their "Fragrance" comes before Witch Hazel. Typically accepted safe levels of fragrance for leave on face products is 1-2%. So what does that tell you? Also they claim that GSE (Grapefruit Seed Extract) is a natural preservative. GSE is not a preservative in its uncontaminated natural state, rather it is an antioxidant that can prolong rancidity (oxidization not microbes). The way Thayers can fool you and use synthetic preservatives without disclosure is through their "Fragrance" which can be completely artificial petrochemicals and preservatives that are protected as trade secrets by the FDA as long as they use the term "Fragrance". Note they have more fragrance than witch hazel in their mostly water based product. Many wet shavers are under a placebo effect if they think it is good post-shave skin care.

Please check out the links in my post Soapsniffer. I have substantiated all my statements, including the ingredient list(s) on Thayer's own website.

Interest read

For me it's like saying soy milk is all natural.... all you need to look down the list if ingredients.... to dispel that myth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SGold, I completely agree with you! I too did some personal research on Thayer's and found it to be a huge dud. I've always said, "there's no way Thayer's is REAL witch hazel," in the sense of the true definition. It's just fragranced water with a drop of alcohol, if any!

Let's face it, putting it on one's skin doesn't do crap as far as astringent qualities goes. Even it's claimed "soothing" qualities are much to be desired. There's no tightening of the pores and it does a horrible job at removing dirt on the skin with a cotton ball, unlike true 14% witch hazel you buy at a pharmacy.

If you have a skin ailment, minor sun burn or rash, Thayer's has never done squat for me, whereas drug store 14% alcohol (real) witch hazel does. I can fell it on my skin, where Thayer's just feels like soft water.

While Thayer's smells terrific, it's an Uber fail when it comes to real performance.

I've never used Thayers, because the price is just too steep for me, but witch hazel is an essential part of my everyday shave. The problem is that everything in wet shaving is anecdotal, meaning just because it works for me or doesn't work for you doesn't mean it is or isn't effective. There's a reason witch hazel is a common remedy for hemmorrhoids and skin irritation: it works. It soothes irritation and reduces blood flow to the irritated areas. We often use it for patients who have skin irritation pursuant to chemo therapy, and 90% of them report that it does help. It definitely has soothing qualities for many people. For me, personal trials of witch hazel vs no witch hazel, witch hazel improves my post shave routine. Again, it's ultimately 100% YMMV and it's cheap (except Thayers), so I fail to see the great harm. And even if it's 120% placebo effect, that's still an effect. If I give you a placebo pill that miraculously stops your pain, is it any less effective at relieving your pain just because it's a placebo?

Very well said SGold. I would strongly urge that YOU not buy or use this product. I, on the other hand, will continue to do so as it WORKS for me. I don't really care whether it works because of the witch hazel or the alcohol, because it WORKS for me. However, YMMV have a good shave!!:001_smile

Ho about the fact it cost 10 times more than the no name pharmacy brands? I buy the cheapo stuff when I'm on the road for work and it works just fine.

I've never used Thayers, because the price is just too steep for me, but witch hazel is an essential part of my everyday shave. The problem is that everything in wet shaving is anecdotal, meaning just because it works for me or doesn't work for you doesn't mean it is or isn't effective. There's a reason witch hazel is a common remedy for hemmorrhoids and skin irritation: it works. It soothes irritation and reduces blood flow to the irritated areas. We often use it for patients who have skin irritation pursuant to chemo therapy, and 90% of them report that it does help. It definitely has soothing qualities for many people. For me, personal trials of witch hazel vs no witch hazel, witch hazel improves my post shave routine. Again, it's ultimately 100% YMMV and it's cheap (except Thayers), so I fail to see the great harm. And even if it's 120% placebo effect, that's still an effect. If I give you a placebo pill that miraculously stops your pain, is it any less effective at relieving your pain just because it's a placebo?
I agree that witch hazel does work. "Genuine" witch hazel that is. Thayer's while it smells terrific, is like weak bathtub moonshine. The less expensive drugstore witch hazel although doesn't smell nice, sure beats out Thayer's in performance and making irritated skin feel better.

If I give you a placebo pill that miraculously stops your pain, is it any less effective at relieving your pain just because it's a placebo?

No it is not less effective in the mind. But I take issue with misleading marketing that cashes in on the Witch Hazel marketing / branding when some of their non-alcohol products have more fragrance than witch hazel. If they were transparent and called it "Fragrance Water with Witch Hazel" we would not be having this conversation, and perhaps you would never have bought it in the first place. I don't reward misleading brands with loyalty.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Fabric belted radial tires are superior to steel belted radial tires.

I doubt anyone will get that reference.

My wife sprayed some rose water on my face last night as a joke like pepper spray, while she ran away laughing. I immediately thought it was Thayer's rose WH. So when I took the rose water from her, I compared scents between thayers and this rose water. As an amateur "bathroom chemist," I couldn't tell the difference between the two. Thayers (rose scent) on the face to me is like ordinary plain rose water. No difference. Although the rose water costs 1/4th less than Thayers. For the money, Thayer's is weak in all categories of performance on the skin.

Love my Thayer's witch hazel splashes.
Despite any detractors.
They work for me, it's that simple.
Enjoy!

thayer comp.jpg

Top Bottom