What's new

What's your Favorite .22LR

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
A Vudoo was in the crowd of shooters I shot against tonight.
Not exactly benchrest rimfires (but I think they make a single shot action for F-Class/BR) but a local range, Rimfire Ridge, is fixing to start up for the season. I'm going to give it a try as it sounds like a good time! Fred Sears owns and runs the place. Perhaps you've heard of him?

nikonNUT

Never heard of Fred Sears.

We have 2 or 3 Vudoos that compete on a regular basis. All of them are in some kinda chassis or another and are repeaters. They do ok.
So Fred is an Arkie local that has a really nice range at his place in Owensville, AR. He has won the ARA Nationals, is in the IR50/50 hall of fame, and has a few world records under his belt. Hoping I can learn a thing or 6 from him!

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
So Fred is an Arkie local that has a really nice range at his place in Owensville, AR. He has won the ARA Nationals, is in the IR50/50 hall of fame, and has a few world records under his belt. Hoping I can learn a thing or 6 from him!
Humility.

That's the beauty of our unlimited matches....No rules....You might see a vintage Winchester 52, beside a custom action, like a Turbo, in a mechanical front rest, beside a chassis PRS gun. Never ever do we have one guy that dominates night after night, month after month, year after year.

Oddly enough I do not (never have) owned a .22 handgun. I really need to fix that some day. Single action Ruger would fit the bill well.
I do have a couple .22 rifles. Ruger 10/22 and a Henry lever. I do like the Henry a lot but both are wonderful rifles.

The rifle I learned to shoot on is probably the most common rifle kids were taught to use--the Ruger 10/22! It's also the first rifle I bought for myself.

But my favorite 22 is the Ruger Single 6. I love the single action process of cocking the gun before each shot. And bonus--it comes with 2 cylinders (one for 22LR and one for 22 Mag). I mostly shoot the 22LR because boxes of that are so cheap. But I've run through some of the 22 Mag and I think it's hilarious how loud they are and they almost shoot flames from the barrel. Shoot those suckers at the range and people think you're firing something way bigger than it is.

Ive been a busy bee! My recent 22 acquisitions! Unfortunately, I had bad luck with all three lol The LCP was missing a magazine, didn't realize it until I left the store. Gunshop had to do a video review to make sure I wasn't lying. that was awkward. They confirmed and gave me a mag off the shelf. Great gun, runs like a top! The Charger came with no extractor, Ruger is mailing me those parts at the moment. I have a few 10/22 so I just swapped the bolts. Fun little gun, accurate for what it is! Then the Smith 43C......well, the head spacing was off so I had to do a little filing to get it to properly index different brands of ammo. Apparently, some rims are thicker than others or something. Other than that, very cool little snubby! All pictured on a makeshift shooting bench I made out of an aluminum cart. Works great!
20240316_112634.jpg

20240330_181142.jpg

I have several .22 rifles and 4 handguns. Fav rifle is the CZ457 Varmint. Fav handgun is my Ruger MK II Target
Both good choices. I carried a 457 Varmint in .17 HMR to the farm today in case a groundhog needed taking care of.

The Ruger MKII is my top pick for a .22 handgun. It's got a couple of improvements over the I and doesn't have the unneeded things added to the III, like a loaded chamber indicator and mag disconnect. As far as the IV goes, I have no need for push button takedown. Never had a problem stripping one of the earlier models.

nikonNUT

@SweeneyTodd Very nice!

Added a few more to the stable myself...

TX22 Gen 2 22rd T.O.R.O
IMG_7240.jpeg

And a CZ457 MTR Manners…
IMG_6990.jpeg

And a few TX22 Compacts (FDE/Black and OD Green/Black) and a FDE TX22 Competition.

Last edited:
Unsure what the favorite is, but I recently acquired a Taurus TX 22 for family time and to teach the kids to shoot. It received some pretty high praise on YT for reliability and performance.

So, I was surprised when we had a feed issue about every 4 rounds during our first use. I researched the issue and cleaned the mag as suggested.

The next time out, we found the TX 22 performed flawlessly WHEN the mag was loaded with the loader. When hand fed, without the loader, we had feed problems.

I can't quite wrap my brain around that, but has anyone else seen this? Or, is this an anomaly indicating an issue with my mags?

Happy shooting, and Happy Father's Day to you good folks!

nikonNUT

Unsure what the favorite is, but I recently acquired a Taurus TX 22 for family time and to teach the kids to shoot. It received some pretty high praise on YT for reliability and performance.

So, I was surprised when we had a feed issue about every 4 rounds during our first use. I researched the issue and cleaned the mag as suggested.

The next time out, we found the TX 22 performed flawlessly WHEN the mag was loaded with the loader. When hand fed, without the loader, we had feed problems.

I can't quite wrap my brain around that, but has anyone else seen this? Or, is this an anomaly indicating an issue with my mags?

Happy shooting, and Happy Father's Day to you good folks!
I can help with that. It is a known issue in most double stack .22lr magazines. The term is refered to as rimlock. For these .22s to run right the rim of the case on top (for lack of a better description) needs to be in front of the case below it for it to feed properly. If it it gets behind the rim of the cartridge below it you have rimlock and this happens... Pistol goes bang, slide cycles back and ejects the spent case, slide moves forward and chambers the round. Rinse and repeat BUT if you have "rimlock" the slide moves forward to strip a round but the rim of the case below is a physical obsticale and a FTF occurs. The loader fixes this by limiting the depth the follower can depress and only allowing the round to move so far back. Rimlock usually occures when the follower is pulled all the way down and the rounds loaded with no control. They just fall in randomly and you get said rimlock. It can be avoided by cautious and precise hand loading but the loader is quicker! I have loaders for my Tippmans (bought), Vudoos (bought), TX22s (supplied), and Sig P322 (supplied).

I can help with that. It is a known issue in most double stack .22lr magazines. The term is refered to as rimlock. For these .22s to run right the rim of the case on top (for lack of a better description) needs to be in front of the case below it for it to feed properly. If it it gets behind the rim of the cartridge below it you have rimlock and this happens... Pistol goes bang, slide cycles back and ejects the spent case, slide moves forward and chambers the round. Rinse and repeat BUT if you have "rimlock" the slide moves forward to strip a round but the rim of the case below is a physical obsticale and a FTF occurs. The loader fixes this by limiting the depth the follower can depress and only allowing the round to move so far back. Rimlock usually occures when the follower is pulled all the way down and the rounds loaded with no control. They just fall in randomly and you get said rimlock. It can be avoided by cautious and precise hand loading but the loader is quicker! I have loaders for my Tippmans (bought), Vudoos (bought), TX22s (supplied), and Sig P322 (supplied).
Thanks for that helpful explanation, @nikonNUT . This kind of interaction is why I love this forum. Cheers!

For a rifle I’d pick the CZ 455 and for a pistol the Ruger MK series. I have one of each of the MK pistols and it’s hard to pick one, they all shoot fantastic

Just bought a TX22 to play with. For no other reason it got good reviews and was on sale. Pick it up tomorrow

Top Bottom