What's new

What niche cartridge would you like to see?

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
What niche cartridge/ gun would you like to see? For me it would be something along the lines of a .30 or .32 caliber subsonic round in a bolt action that would be effective out to about 150 yds max on small to smaller medium game with a bullet weight of only 70-95 gr. That rules out subsonic loads of .300 Blk or 6.5 Grendel. Something with a straight walled, or slightly tapered case. Nothing bigger than a .30 carbine case, probably more like a .32 S&W long or .32 H&R mag., but loaded subsonic with a flat nose lead bullet. More punch than a .22 rimfire but subsonic without needing to be "down loaded". No lever action and no single shot. Must have a threaded barrel to accept a suppressor. Basically a modern "rook" rifle. Of course the easiest would be to go with a custom barrel for one of my TC contenders with carbine stock. I could order a .32 H&R carbine barrel for $554.00 from Eabco with a nine month wait, but I'd rather not have a single shot. Any thoughts on the matter?

Last edited:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I just got a few boxs of 32-20 ammo in, cowboy loads, lead bullets at 850fps.
While I think the .32-20 is a fun cartridge, for this application, I want a threaded host gun to use with a suppressor, (I'm not about to modify my Marlin 1894!) and I want to keep the projectiles lighter than what is generally used in the .32-20. I also want a smaller case volume so that I don't have to resort to Trailboss powder.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I've just started loading for 32 S&WL and it's a springboard to doing interesting things... I'm exploring the pistol/rifle crossover with casting - for example, my new pistol mold is also frequently used for 30-30 and 300 BO. And I do shoot gallery loads out of milsurps. With a couple sizing dies you can fit a great many bores....

AA

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I was wondering if the bullets for .32 ACP would be accurate in .32 S&W L and/or .32 H&R? They are a couple thousandths different in diameter, however the TC bore for .32 H&R is supposedly .308!

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I was wondering if the bullets for .32 ACP would be accurate in .32 S&W L and/or .32 H&R? They are a couple thousandths different in diameter, however the TC bore for .32 H&R is supposedly .308!
Kind of a casting novice, but I gather it's all done with sizing dies. I plan to cast 314s, sizing to 313 for 32S&WL (or a future 327!), and down to 312, 311, and 309 for milsurp rifle gallery loads.

AA

Last edited:
7mm SAUM it is an amazing cartridge and still prized by long range target shooters. I love it because the performance is great and it’s short action for my 22” 700. It shoots softer than I would have expected. It’s pretty much unobtanium

Ad Astra

The Instigator
A tad larger at 7.65mm, but 32 ACP itself shot perfectly accurately in my 32 S&WL. 🫣 And with another half inch of "barrel."

AA

Top Bottom