What's new

What are your Favorite Reloading Powders?

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
Ouch lol. The recoil from that load would have been unbearable in the little Sako I had.
Ouch indeed. Got the chance to manhandle a Proof Tundra in .338LM. Weighed a svelt 7 pounds. Talk about killing at both ends!

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Ouch indeed. Got the chance to manhandle a Proof Tundra in .338LM. Weighed a svelt 7 pounds. Talk about killing at both ends!

Seven pounds, wow. The Sako TRG-S was bad enough at ~9. I had to rotate it all the time with a .22 just to keep the flinch away. Shooting offhand wasnt so bad, you could roll with the recoil but prone....not fun.

I know I'm a Luddite, but ever since a bud blew a Nambu cylinder in half with a double charge, I've always used Lee powder scoops. Slower, yes, but safer.

AA

I use a single-stage press. It takes longer, but I can inspect each load visually before I set the bullet.

My brother-in-law used a progressive press for his 44 Magnum loads, and this happened:

IMG952330.jpg

Edge of my lane. MANY here know more.

I only reload for a 1911 and a Glock 9mm

231/HP-38 5.2-5.4 with a 230g RNL, plated or FMJ

4.2-4.5 of the same with a 124g 9mm bullet

These recipes work and so I have simply driven on.

If I was a more serious reloader, I would likely try WST as it is cleaner, as soft and produces similar velocities as 231 using .5 to 1 g LESS powder per charge.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
There are so many powders that do well with most modern pistol calibers. You can mince between cleaner burning, smaller charges and therefore more rounds per pound of powder, what powder meters the best, etc., etc. You can opt for the powder that gives the best performance for a given cartridge or a powder that works OK for a majority of what calibers you load for.

I only reload for my hunting rifles, being Canadian.
6.5 Creedmoor: for 129gr Swift Sirocco's I use H4350 and for 85gr Sierra hollow points I use IMR 4064
358 Winchester: I load the 180gr Barnes TTSX over WIN748

When I setup my own reloading after leaving home, I decided to stick with Alliant because anecdotal evidence from reading many reloading manuals often had Alliant on the upper end of velocity. So I have a spread from R10x- R33.

I am not happy with all the powder reformulations in the name of temp stability. I don’t buy the gains are what they claim and all it does it complicate the inventory and data. Now you have to decide if you should run R15, R15.5, or R16.

IMHO I will try to use powders that will fill the casing at least 1/2 way if not more to reduce the risk of double charging. With some calibers this is not possible, I am especially thinking of 38 SPL. correct me if I am wrong, but was not 38 SPL originally design for use with black powder? That may be the reason of the large case volume.

I use a single-stage press. It takes longer, but I can inspect each load visually before I set the bullet.

My brother-in-law used a progressive press for his 44 Magnum loads, and this happened:

View attachment 1558994
This is one reason why I use 2400 in my 44mag loads. The case won't hold a double charge without running over. I also weigh each round before boxing them. Takes an extra couple of seconds, but peace of mind is a thing.

Top Bottom