What's new

My RDS EDC Journey to Date- Cautiously Optimistic

My RDS Journey-apologies for any formatting issues as I typed it out first on a couple of different platforms. LONG, LONG RAMBLE FOLLOWS:

In the last few months, due to the encouragement and generosity of two PF members, I am presently on the cusp of carrying a Gen 3 G17 Direct milled Upper with a Holosun 507 w/ all black Ameriglo suppressor height BUIS for EDC. I have been relatively agnostic to the pistol RDS scene though I was a mainstream adopter of such for my carbine in the early 2000’s with a Rev E EoTech and its replacement- an Aimpoint Pro.

I traded texturing services for the RDS/BUIS “set”. While I have not been shy in trying to buy NON-PRC goods when there is a viable alternative, even if such alternative costs more, not acknowledging the overall reliability/value/innovation/quality of Holosun would be less than candid. Holosun is clearly positioning themselves in the same way Apple has-the products tend to work and work well so long as they work fresh from the box. They continue to innovate/duplicate as much as they can get away with in the market. They are clearly not resting on laurels and/or large govt/mil/leo contracts.

Aimpoint’s continued missteps with the ACRO in terms of battery life and availability is creating opportunity for Holosun and others. Given the battery access advantage possessed by Holosun & Aimpoint, I would find having to remove a sight to change the battery a non-starter on a personally owned/maintained firearm. Having said that, I am on a wait list for an Acro P2 with an ETA of 1 Sept 22. It will likely get direct milled to a G22 .40 cal upper.

The set-up has proven quite reliable with a variety of range and carry ammo, primarily expended during client agency open quals over the last 8 weeks. (115 blazer aluminum, 115/124 Lawman, WWB, Fiocchi and Speer.) My prior RDS pistol experience consisted of one 200ish round session with a Leopold equipped USMS SOG Staccato in 2020 and one 15 round session in 2010 ish with a Glock 23 wearing just a Dr Optic al la Kelly McCann.

As per my RDS guru, I shot without a BUIS to “drive home” a target focused approach. I found my accuracy and qualification scores to be equal to that of iron sights. My shots at 15 yards were immediately tighter. My head shots during the qual course of 4 iterations - 2 body/1 head were tighter as well.

After approximately 700 rounds, I mounted the BUIS last Thurs with my new MGW 309 Glock Sight Pusher (slanted) and shot a 98/100 shooting as fast as I could on every evolution during which I launched a round just out of the scoring line dropping 2 points during high teens split I was deliberately running the gun as hard as I could re function checking my various training mags (OEM and Magpul.) There was no thought of "co witnessing" anything. I installed the all black irons as per my standard (1cc width right oriented as a right handed) They were POI/POA ish 3 to 15yrds. Next time I get outside or when it works indoors, I will see what there is to see at 20-25.

I also shot the Rangemaster June DTOM shooting 185/200 (My scoring presumed 10 on the 3x5, 9 on the exposed 9 black area not covered by the card and 8 in the 8 area, 0 if it was outside of the 8). I dumped 2 round low right when I was support hand shooting only. (Therein lies a clue btw.)

What really knocked me over the top re likely EDC was an exercise the line did after the qual. The instructor drew what was essentially a 5x 8 horizontal scoring area over the face of the target to simulate the exposure area of the Buffalo NY shooter who was wearing body armor and a helmet when he was reportedly shot center mass but not put down by a retired Buffalo area LEO. We were to shoot 2 rounds within a 3 second exposure from the low ready at 7 and 15 yards. While I suspect I could have made the 7-yard shots without an RDS, in the real world, pre RDS, I would not have attempted the 15-yard shots absent a very open field of fire AND a significant backstop. In short-2/2@7. 2/2@15 with time to spare on both 3 second exposures.

Simply put, the RDS allowed me to make shoots at speed that I could not have made with irons. I fully acknowledge the odds of me ever having to make such a shot may be remote. Having said that, I have always been an Odds v. Stakes kind of person for a long-time vis a vis Tom Givens and my first shooting mentor- Maj Douglas Smith (USAR Ret/RIP)

Vision Issues:
I am 20/60 needing a moderate distance correction with some astigmatism. I do not need readers at all UNLESS I have my distance contacts in. I am at the point that I see the iron front sight of a pistol clearer without my corrective lenses than with. Shooting workarounds have included both monovision contacts and reduced power corrective lenses/contacts whereby my dominant eye was under corrected. Alternatively, I can perceive the need to shoot and then look over my correction when wearing glasses to see a crisp front sight and go from there. Those approaches can cost visual acuity and/or time.

RDS Interplay:
With the RDS and my standard corrective lenses/glasses, I see a very crisp dot. Without, I see a pixelated blob that increases with the size of the dot/reticle. In short, using an RDS would allow me to have maximum distance vision to better read
faces/body language with overall visual acuity. While the blob is a bit off putting, I know that out to the edge of my visual acuity without corrective lenses, 10 ish yards, I can still make rapid, high center mass hits. Perhaps the ultimate solution is some type of multifocal lenses.

Concealability:
There is no doubt that with the holsters I have used to date in the AIWB position (Graith/Mastermind Tactics Kydex/SOB Condom/CCC Shaggy) there is a concealment penalty with a bit of printing of the optic relative to a non RDS gun.
I would note that I am on the cusp of L v XL in shirt sizing and I have been tending to go smaller for fashion/fit. I would also note that the vast majority of the time, concealed means concealed, it does not mean invisible to the naked trained eye at 1 meter. Having said that, this fact for me is still under consideration for the next optic I buy ( as opposed to trade for) as the ACRO 2 is undoubtedly bigger than the 407/507 Holosun offerings that continue to review well on PF and elsewhere.

Next Steps:
Edited to add-I have identified a local shop that may be able to direct mill. If that proves satisfactory, I would likely go that routeon already owned guns *G34s and 35s and a G19). Alternatively, I am likely to buy a Gen 5 Glock MOS next. First in 9 and then in .40 as those remain the calibers my client agencies train with. Should Glock release their rumored ACRO optimized pistol here (i.e. milled rail as per the M&P LEO sku of the same ilk) I would likely spend the extra and go that route presuming availability when I was ready to buy. If not, given the experiences of the SMEs on this board with the Holosun line, I could be forced to make the Apple exception and buy despite the PRC status.

1st time shooting at 15 with RDS (5 shots in 6 seconds/4 in 5/1 in 2, all from low ready behind a barricade. Targets face and then turn away) That super low shot was me chasing the dot v being target focused.
1659543976923.png

Same a few weeks later

1659543935123.png

Same a few weeks later still

1659544002332.png

Note high right just outside the line. Deliberately shooting faster than I could likely process. (high teen splits)
1659544021755.png

2 at 7 in 3 seconds from the low ready as described above
1659544040727.png

2 at 15 in 3 seconds from the low ready as described above

1659544063776.png

June Rangemaster DOTM
1659544107794.png

Last edited:

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Excellent post. Very informative and I learned a great deal from your personal experiences.

I think I am at this same point of my life in the consideration of ‘do I switch over to a RDS?’

I can really relate to many of the points and issues you brought up.

A couple of the questions Your post had brought to mind to ask are:

1. Does the black suppressor height sights co-witness with the dot? Or is the dot just hanging free like a 1/3 co/witness on a rifle?

2. Have you considered LASIK? If you have, why haven’t you done it yet? Sounds like it would be the way to go instead of glasses in making that red dot nice and round again?

1. While the dot roughly co-witnesses, that was not my specific intent. As stated above, I did 700+ rounds without any back up iron sights at all on the gun to force myself to be target focused and to minimize hunting for the dot and by extension, a front sight. I installed the BUIS as an independent system such that so long as there are POA/POI (0-15yrd at this point) that is fine for me.

2. I have not seriously considered LASIK given that my overall acuity/astigmatism is not that bad relative to any potential side affects that can go along with LASIK etc. i.e. unresolved light sensitivity and/or nighttime/dark light halos around lighting sources etc. Given my odds v stakes life approach, I suspect that I will make do until my over all acuity degrades such that the juice is worth the squeeze for me.

3. Though the sight has 3 reticles (2 moa dot, 32 MOA Circle, 32 MOA Circle with 2 moa dot inside, I am running the simple dot at this point ) there are multiple schools of thought re which is better for what. As my rifle RDS (Aimpoint Pro) is 2 moa. That is what I started with. Without correction, for me, a 2 moa dot is much less "blooby" that a 32 MOA circle etc. I know the 407 CO has an 8 MOA circle that some believe is the best of all worlds, big enough to really pig up yet not move so much that one is tempted to stop the dot before shooting, small enough to not obscure smaller target at 25-50 yards etc.

Moreover, it is reported to not be as sensitive as smaller dots/reticles in certain low angle sun lighting environments. Much of this input is coming from shooting I trust as oppose to person experience.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
While I don't know this for sure, I have heard that Lasix surgery can complicate later cataract surgery if that is needed later in life. Could be BS.

Never mind, it looks like it's BS

Last edited:

OkieStubble

While I don't know this for sure, I have heard that Lasix surgery can complicate later cataract surgery if that is needed later in life. Could be BS.

Never mind, it looks like it's BS

I read a recent article where they are offering some kind of lens repair at lasik centers, where it not only corrects astigmatism, but also correct vision at distance and close up? No more readers and I think the article mentioned no need for future cataract surgery? It's what I read anyway. :)

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I had a Trijicon RMS on my Glock 19 but had trouble finding the dot at speed due to the Glocks grip angle. My slide is not milled so the mount had to use the rear sight dovetail. I ended up removing it and going back to iron sights. I have a fairly significant astigmatism, but I can work with that. I have red dots on rifle/carbines and .22 target pistols, and they work OK for me.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
The circle with the dot option on my Holosun does not seem to be affected by my astigmatism. A regular dot flares.

This was a great article, you have me thinking. :smile:

I know just enough to be dangerous here. I am at the very edge of my lane.

1. My std cold drill is 5 shots on an 8 inch plate at 5 yrd with a big step off line. Par is 3 max. I typically shoot it 3x. Moving right, moving let and then the way I was slowest the time(s) before.

If I am remotely in the groove re live and dry fire my times are typically 2.55 -2.85 with a .40 cal Glock G35 using 180 Lawman. AIWB Concealed. My times with a 9mm G34 are around 2.35-2.6 using mostly 115 Fiocci, WWB etc. In short, I can typically get one more shot off with a 9 v a .40 call in the same timing window.

2. My times with a red dot are in the 2.55-2.85 range with a 9 mm Glock 17 RDS. A bit slower but not surprising as I am headed up the learning curve. My preliminary conclusion is that I am a bit slower in the 0-5 yrd range than I would be with irons.

3. The 15 yrd quals clearly demonstrate that I am fast and more accurate with the RDS.

4. From 7 and out, RDS is looking to be faster too.

5. Decrease light, add movement, distance, awkward positions etc and I think the RDS is a game changer.

I have stayed with my TFOs for several years now. Previously, I had run the early Docters on my G19s, with the DT mounts.

I _may_ step over to the Holosun, as we seem to have hit a reasonable plateau in the price/performance generational setting. I don't see an astronomical leap in the RDS field for at least 5 years, which is nearing the end of my evolutionary adaptation anyway(e.g., after a certain point in middle-age, you see diminishing returns in quantum changes unless you continue to aggressively train- I am no T-Rex 🦖).

Good wrote up and consistent with what some hard chargers have found.

OkieStubble

I know just enough to be dangerous here. I am at the very edge of my lane.

1. My std cold drill is 5 shots on an 8 inch plate at 5 yrd with a big step off line. Par is 3 max. I typically shoot it 3x. Moving right, moving let and then the way I was slowest the time(s) before.

If I am remotely in the groove re live and dry fire my times are typically 2.55 -2.85 with a .40 cal Glock G35 using 180 Lawman. AIWB Concealed. My times with a 9mm G34 are around 2.35-2.6 using mostly 115 Fiocci, WWB etc. In short, I can typically get one more shot off with a 9 v a .40 call in the same timing window.

5. Decrease light, add movement, distance, awkward positions etc and I think the RDS is a game changer.

Thanks for the heads up review and post on your RDS experiences David. I could only hope that when I finally put a dot on top of one of my Glocks, I will have the same positive feelings about a pistol mounted RDS as you do. I seem to vaguely remember you weren’t too keen on the Holosun brand a few years back? They have come a long way, haven’t they?

The Deltapoint Pro offset on my rifle is steady as a rock and makes for a great addition to my LPVO. The Vortex Venom I have been using on top of my .22 Buckmark seems to be doing a crazy dance when I’m standing still and just aiming.

I can’t even imagine your number 5 of actually running around with it while shooting and not imagining it dancing like crazy. My age is finally catching up with me I think.

Training with and becoming astute with a pistol topped RDS, is definitely something that requires rounds down range in order to become effective using it, as I would think the dot is acting completely different when running and gunning versus dry firing with it inside your living room? :)

Last edited:

OkieStubble

I have stayed with my TFOs for several years now. Previously, I had run the early Docters on my G19s, with the DT mounts.

I _may_ step over to the Holosun, as we seem to have hit a reasonable plateau in the price/performance generational setting. I don't see an astronomical leap in the RDS field for at least 5 years, which is nearing the end of my evolutionary adaptation anyway(e.g., after a certain point in middle-age, you see diminishing returns in quantum changes unless you continue to aggressively train- I am no T-Rex 🦖).

I’m with you on nearing the end of my evolutionary adaptation. While my heart is still good to go, the back and hips disagree a bit. There is that part of me that says, I’m still quite effective in self defense distances with self defense accuracy with Trijicon irons and blurry eyesight. :)

A 6-8 inch group center mass on a humanoid target is good enough for this old man.

By the way, With a name like Rob, I bet you’re exceptionally smart with rugged good looks?

It’s just a guess. :)

I’m with you on nearing the end of my evolutionary adaptation. While my heart is still good to go, the back and hips disagree a bit. There is that part of me that says, I’m still quite effective in self defense distances with self defense accuracy with Trijicon irons and blurry eyesight. :)

A 6-8 inch group center mass on a humanoid target is good enough for this old man.

By the way, With a name like Rob, I bet you’re exceptionally smart with rugged good looks?

It’s just a guess. :)
We even sport the same moustache, bro! :thumbup:

Great write up. I have 2 weapons I am thinking of trying a rds. I have had plenty of scopes, just sorta want the new stuff I guess. A 9mm pistol and a semi 12 gauge are the hosts. Can't believe how expensive these things have gotten lol. Thanks for the info again.

Live fired for first time since late June.

Trading goal was to use all available time as opposed to running as fast as I possible could during each turn of the target from 15 yrds in to 1 and back out to 7. The accuracy results from the approach of using all available time is immediately apparent.

06C597FC-BDA1-4641-9B27-95A40D5635B4.jpeg

First 8 rds. Tweak of course of fire- 4 rounds in 6 secs, 3 in 4 secs, 1 in 2, all from the low ready behind a barricade at 15 yrds.
B9AC40F1-8894-44A5-BFAB-28F04E5DDDF7.jpeg

Last edited:
Top Bottom