What's new

What's your coffee today? What brew method? Photos

Yeah it definitely pays to know how to brew the Moka correctly it makes such a huge difference, I apologise I wasn't trying to infer you didn't, I just hope the video helps others if they aren't familiar with the correct brewing method..... As for the Brikka it's different, the only model u can buy now has a different valve to the earlier models and it doesn't have the correct water mark inside anymore, you get a measuring cup supplied. To brew the 4 cupbrikka you measure out 180ml of cold water, I grind my coffee a bit finer than the Moka. Load the coffee, I still brew with a lowish flame. But the brikka tells you pretty much when it's done as it gives a final psssssshhhhh noise 🤣 no need to watch for straw coloured liquid. That's why I love it....it's simple but jeez it makes as close to a creama espresso as possible using a cheap stove top method
No need to apologize! No offense was taken - I’d much rather see the info again than miss out altogether. The Brikka sounds like exactly what I want. I love the moka pot, but don’t use it very often because it’s so fiddly.

Peet’s coffee in the Mr. Coffee drip. Have a wonderful weekend gents! Leaving at 4:00 in the morning for a week down in the Florida panhandle. 👍😊
View attachment 1600240View attachment 1600242
What I like about Peet's is that they post the "Roasted On" date and only give you 3 months "freshness" -- that is a realistic length of time. Other bean baggers like to give you a "Sell by/Use by" date, and you never know when it was actually roasted, and I suspect at least 6 months before that date, as lots of bean bag coffee sellers do. I have, in my coffee adventures, inexorably drifted to lighter roasts, though, so I seldom buy Peet's anymore, as almost all of their stuff is roasted to a darker level than I prefer. If that's what a person likes, Peet's is great -- they're the best at giving you the straight stuff on "freshness" -- you can trust them.

Cheers,
Tony

Trying the Yeman Mocha done in the AeroPress. Only roasted it a couple days ago. Drinking it hot, not much going on. Let it cool a bit it is has a strong berry note with really smooth mouth feel.

View attachment 1600417View attachment 1600418
Aeropress -- There's another thing I have to try. I hear it's quite a versatile tool for small volume coffee-making. One of these and my little Hario Mini-Slim Plus would make a great, compact set for minimized road trips and my upland bird-hunting trips.

Thinking about "grasp-the-moment", minimalistically planned/packed road trips leads me to digress mightily here, and mention a book I acquired a couple of decades ago titled "Manifold Destiny -- The One! the Only! Guide to Cooking on Your Car Engine!" by Chris Maynard and William G. Scheller It's still available!! Amazon.com: Manifold Destiny: The One! The Only! Guide to Cooking on Your Car Engine! eBook : Maynard, Chris, Scheller, Bill: Kindle Store - https://www.amazon.com/Manifold-Destiny-Guide-Cooking-Engine-ebook/dp/B001FA0WAW This is a great read -- a lot of interesting stuff. I really need to man up and try this method of cooking. I suppose it is more difficult on modern cars -- old cars had a lot of convenient surfaces offering various temperatures, access and fastenings. Some of this, an Aeropress, a good little hand burr grinder and bag of good beans . . . hmmm . . . that could be the way to go.

Cheers!
Tony

linty1

My wallet cries.
44FA1C87-F119-4B85-8DA5-16CDDFEED918.jpeg

Some plumbing work at home… should have taken maybe 2 hours ended up being 3 days without water.. but finally late Sunday we’re all functional again, getting a quick decaf in, in one if those pourover sacks.

No need to apologize! No offense was taken - I’d much rather see the info again than miss out altogether. The Brikka sounds like exactly what I want. I love the moka pot, but don’t use it very often because it’s so fiddly.

Yeah it's pretty simple, grind coffee, load basket, add water, brew on lowish heat and wait for the Psshhhhtttttt at the end, then drink as desired, I normally add frothed milk unless I really need a caffeine hit.

Morning All!

Sucking down the Colombian again. Sticking with the gold permanent filter. Seems to work better with this coffee than paper.

Not much sleep last night. Today is the first day of tech school at the local college after a 30 year break. Pretty nervous about planning a new career at 48 years old. Extremely excited, though. Keep me in your thoughts and good wishes today, guys!

Carpe Diem!

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
Morning All!

Sucking down the Colombian again. Sticking with the gold permanent filter. Seems to work better with this coffee than paper.

Not much sleep last night. Today is the first day of tech school at the local college after a 30 year break. Pretty nervous about planning a new career at 48 years old. Extremely excited, though. Keep me in your thoughts and good wishes today, guys!

Carpe Diem!
Don't forget to pack your lunch. :001_smile

Best wishes, E1!

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
Good morning, coffee crew.

Cafe Du Monde in the french press.

35° in Music City right now but looking at a high around 62°. I'll be in the studio for a few hours today and then home to make some spicy chili.

Have a happy and peaceful Monday, my friends.

Now Playing:

R.jpg

View attachment 1601278

Medium roast as my roaster says its the only way. He has been roasting with the same machine since the mid 70s.

I use a french press to brew.
Interesting. I’m always on the lookout for quality single origin medium roasts. These days it seems like you can find “burnt charcoal” or “unripe berry” pretty easily, but medium roasts tend to be blends of the two that don’t always extract evenly or work well together. Honestly, I enjoy roasts that cover the entire spectrum, but nothing hits like a single origin roasted enough to tame the acidity without burning away its character. I’ve been browsing your roaster’s website and it looks very promising.

Having said that, this morning I’m having burnt charcoal from Starbucks in the French Press. It’s the early morning wake up fuel of choice for my wife and son.
FB525D1E-CAA8-4121-9E19-DFD53188D316.jpeg

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I'm on vacation in a timeshare this week. My usual locally roasted coffee, but I had to grind a bag full at home, so obviously I've missed the 15 minute rule by a mile. I use the dial on the Virtuoso to "dial in" my quantity, so I'm a little at sea this week. I'm scooping pre-ground coffee and using the Cuisinart maker in the suite.

Today, our first morning, I managed a perfectly muddy pot. Hopefully I'll do better tomorrow.

Do any of you ever start drinking your coffee, get distracted in what you are doing and stop and notice when your coffee tastes unusually good? Well, I am two for two today and I don't have a good explanation.

I started out with the so called Moka Java, which turns out to be mostly Ethiopian(no Moka at all), decaf. I have had rotten luck with the V60 previously, but this time I used my very predictable hand grinder and wow! Is this really decaf? I think this is the first time I have had a decaf that really needed to rest before use.

I just now finished off a cup of Panama Natural, also in the V60 and I nailed the grind on that too! No more sour berry juice, this is lightly fruity, but very well balanced even lukewarm.

Not to snub the guy that has been roasting as long as I have been alive, but I can actualy imagine the conversation with him about his medium roasts. I bet he used to roast darker as that was the fashion, but got tired of that. He probably has a "you kids get off my lawn" attitude about roasting "tea like" lighter roasts. Which is fine, I am just constructing a fantasy in my head based on experiences with old roasters that I have had! I do wonder what his range of medium actually is though?

Top Bottom