What's new

What is your most efficient razor?

There is not a huge difference between my 3 current favourites, but I’ve been rotating them for the last couple of weeks, using a Nacet in all cases, and my subjective opinion, in order of decreasing efficiency, is
1 - Karve brass with the E-SB plate (which I hope to replace with a D-OC)
2 - Muhle R41 with RR Bulldog handle
3 - Game Changer .84 OC

Just so we're all talking about the same thing, to me efficiency is how closely a razor shaves compared to other razors with all other factors kept equal. In other words, same prep, same blade, same number of passes.

For me it's the Fatip Open Comb, Mk. 1. Unfortunately, I cannot shave daily with that razor without incurring irritation on my neck. Second place goes to the Merkur Futur, which I sold because I just didn't enjoy using it; it's just too large and ponderous. Third is the latest version of the Muhle Rocca. It's a pleasure to use, but I wish it were just a tad more efficient. The Game Changer .84 open comb and Fatip open comb Mk. 2 are tied for fourth place.
Muhle r41 with a gillette old type cap and a parker heavy duty barber pole handle, best blade in it for me, rapira Swedish supersteel. Another member said to use the r41 like a straight razor, it works perfect for me. Happy father’s guys.

My ‘66 Slim set on 9 is super-efficient. BBS in two passes. It’s as far as I want to go. I put a Feather in my 1919 Old Type once and nearly removed all of the skin on my face. A blade too far.

Tatara Masamune
Hold.jpg

:001_unsur Has your BAD changed to SSAD, Dave?

A little bit. It's more that I've always favoured milder razors. I did enjoy the closeness of the R41 from time to time although comfortable was never in it with that razor. I enjoy the 3ONE6 though as a more efficient razor, and it is more than capable of being comfortable, so thought I'd try the Rocca as well. I may end up only keeping one of the two. I still only own about five razors though, and that number won't be rising.

Top Bottom