What's new

What is your most efficient razor?

For some reason, the Feather Professionals just won't give me what I want. 2 passes and it's still leaving lots of stubble. Be careful with the Super. It's really sharp and aggressive. I just used one last night with my Razorock Hawk II. It will mow down whatever is in it's path. A good deal of attentiveness and NO pressure and it'll deliver.
Thanks, I'll be careful; I just ordered some Feather Pro Supers. Out of curiousity, how do you think the Hawk compares to the Enoch? I also have both, and I'm interested to hear another opinion on how they comapre.

Thanks, I'll be careful; I just ordered some Feather Pro Supers. Out of curiousity, how do you think the Hawk compares to the Enoch? I also have both, and I'm interested to hear another opinion on how they comapre.
The Hawk is super light, but once you get past that, it's a wonderful performer. Easy to maneuver, and the blade is easier to load. The Enoch is also very easy to maneuver. Blade loading can be a bit finicky. Performance-wise, it's hard to place one over the other. Both are excellent. I also have the Mongoose, and that one I don't use. Too big and bulky for me. Very well put together, but it's just unnecessarily big and heavy. I think the Hawk is probably slightly easier to find the right angle on. Both have earned a permanent position in my shave den.

I know very little about these razors. I just looked at their website. What is the difference between the Tatara and the Masamune?

They have two main razors the Masamune and the Nodachi. Both have SB and OC heads. The difference between them is blade gap and efficiency. The Nodachi has a .90 blade gap while the Masamune has a .63 gap. Going by your test in razors I reckon the Nodachi would suit you best.

The best Thing I can do with the heavy Parker TTO is 95r, 66r, 99r ! YmmV

kind regards King-Joe

Last edited:
If we are talking strictly DE. I will have to say my Merkur Progress for 3 passes and best overall face feel. No irritation and no real concentration. Not my funnest to use.

Now if it is any safety razor. It is my Ernst Schamf wedge safety razor. All the benefits of a straight shave with WAY MORE maneuverability.

Tom

For me it's a close tie between the Muhle R41 and the ATT Aluminum Calypso H2

The Fatip Piccolo OC gives me very close shaves, but I just got that razor and after a less-than-stellar first shave, we're still in the process of getting to know each other... We'll see.

My mildest yet efficient razor is the Edwin Jagger DE3D (DE89)

I have other razors (Merkur 34C, Merkur 15C, Rockwell 6S, etc.) that I seldom use anymore since I have to do multiple passes (and lots of buffing) with them to achieve the results I want.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I do not care for real aggressive razors IMO, If you have a Razorock Wunderbar or a Everready streamline 1st or 2nd generation you will receive a BBS only if your hand technique is spot on that day. A Valet autostrop C1 will also give a BBS but you have to have to have mastered that beast. (I altered my gap from .011 to .007 thousands of a inch to smooth it out to a nice enjoyable razor.) I like my shaves in this range CCS,DFS,BBS but sometimes BBS comes through with out trying. Most razors will give you a BBS but with possibly more passes that can give some folks irritation.
Have some great shaves!

Just so we're all talking about the same thing, to me efficiency is how closely a razor shaves compared to other razors with all other factors kept equal. In other words, same prep, same blade, same number of passes.

For me it's the Fatip Open Comb, Mk. 1. Unfortunately, I cannot shave daily with that razor without incurring irritation on my neck. Second place goes to the Merkur Futur, which I sold because I just didn't enjoy using it; it's just too large and ponderous. Third is the latest version of the Muhle Rocca. It's a pleasure to use, but I wish it were just a tad more efficient. The Game Changer .84 open comb and Fatip open comb Mk. 2 are tied for fourth place.

Mine is the Fatip Grande OC, Mk.2, with Schone being an identical alternative, either fitted with a Feather or a Bolzano blade. And like you, third passes on a daily shave basis are less than ideal. My solution is a second razor (w/Fatip Gentile Head) fitted with a milder blade for third pass only. That's right, I always use two razors per shave - - an OC for passes 1 and 2, and a closed comb for pass #3. I don't know why that isn't a more common practice - - it makes so much sense!

If we're limiting our choices to DE, it would be Wardonia, followed by Gibbs Adjustable and then Famex.

If open to all, then it would go like this: Wardonia, 1914 Ever Ready Little Lather Catcher, Schick G type.

R6S Matte Black
20200305_140242.jpg

Just so we're all talking about the same thing, to me efficiency is how closely a razor shaves compared to other razors with all other factors kept equal. In other words, same prep, same blade, same number of passes.

My double-ring & postwar Merkur slant followed up by most Gillette & German OCs. However they are also the trickiest to use especially the slant. For me, one moment lack of concentration usually results in a nick. Following up those is my Gibbs in the ~4-5 setting. The handle has begin to crack though so I don't use it much and rely on a Tech or Merkur 23C. More effort than any of the above (except Gibbs) but brainless in operation which suits me well. (Astra SP used in all.)

My most efficient razor is the Wolfman Dual Comb 1.25 / 1.45 Straight Bar .... Even the 1.25 side is very efficient as well. 2 passes and done, Bbs.

Hello

I almost forgot about the discontinued stainless PAA dual open comb. Not the current one. Uber efficient.

Cheers
John

Top Bottom