What's new

What are your favorite mild yet efficient open comb razors?

Parker Variant OC.

No contest.

The original Variant was my favorite razor ever since I got it five years ago. They took Merkur Progress’ classic head design and improved the rest of the razor. A smooth, efficient razor.

The OC version took this an extra step forward. It’s more efficient (I set it to 2 out of 5 and get the same quality shave as I would be getting on 3 with the original Variant) and yet even smoother. It is now my favorite razor out of 12 different ones that I have, by a mile. I wanted to treat myself to a nicer razor for my birthday but I am afraid that I’ll end up with an expensive and beautiful razor that doesn’t match the experience I get with that $58 shaver.

IMG_3313.jpeg

Parker Variant OC.

No contest.

The original Variant was my favorite razor ever since I got it five years ago. They took Merkur Progress’ classic head design and improved the rest of the razor. A smooth, efficient razor.

The OC version took this an extra step forward. It’s more efficient (I set it to 2 out of 5 and get the same quality shave as I would be getting on 3 with the original Variant) and yet even smoother. It is now my favorite razor out of 12 different ones that I have, by a mile. I wanted to treat myself to a nicer razor for my birthday but I am afraid that I’ll end up with an expensive and beautiful razor that doesn’t match the experience I get with that $58 shaver.

View attachment 1806195
I think sharpologist gave a shout out to the Parker razor. I’ll have to give it a try.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Mild yet efficient OC? RazoRock Superslant L2++OC. Even milder? Too mild for me but you may be different: Superslant L1++OC.

The PAA Monster series is mild, OC and cheap. Hacks abound for it.

The ATT S2 is no longer made but is a stellar shaver if you can get your hands on one.

In the realm of the plain DE there is the RazoRock BBS-OC which just barely makes the grade for me.

O.H.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
The ares is the perfect de almost except for its maintenance, which is why I sold it.
If and when Theo releases some more SS Ares and Athenas, that might work for you... but just a tad out of your pricing comfort zone.
Mild yet efficient OC? RazoRock Superslant L2++OC. Even milder? Too mild for me but you may be different: Superslant L1++OC.

The PAA Monster series is mild, OC and cheap. Hacks abound for it.

The ATT S2 is no longer made but is a stellar shaver if you can get your hands on one.

In the realm of the plain DE there is the RazoRock BBS-OC which just barely makes the grade for me.

O.H.
I totally forgot about the PAA Filament being an OC design along with the slant. It's a very efficient razor for me...... I do wonder if the SS L2++OC might be a bit better for me than the L2++ I have... I know it's supposed to be a tad more efficient but I wonder... As you know, the L2++ gave me a 15 hour shave but my face suffered a bit. I wonder if it would be easier to lighten the pressure a bit with the L2++OC and get better results... I love their OC design, as I mentioned. I really am hoping the Kai blades kick up the efficiency with the L1++OC and my SuperSlant experiments will be over and I'll end up with a razor I love. That will be one of my first shaves when we get back to the States... I think I have 3 experiments to try when we get home.... ;)

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I break down every razor I have after every shave.... clean and dry it. With the bronze razors I have, the final drying with a microfiber cloth usually restores the luster... If not, I keep my final polishing microfiber cloth handy. It has some Simichrome residue on it and just rubbing the cap a bit with it polishes things up immediately.

I'm not one to use a blade for a long time so this isn't a burden for me... I'm a one and done DE shaver and I get 3 shaves from my AC blades. I guess my years working in construction trained me to clean all my tools before I put them away and that spilled over into my razor maintenance routines.

Look at a Vikings Blade Emperor. It's kind of comb on one side, and safety on the other. Quick mow on the comb side, flip, and cleanup.

If Efficiency is the key word, then the Ares is the champion. I live in a place where the water is really soft, so I don't have to polish my Ares too often. Maybe once in 2-3 months.

On a side note, I bought the Parker Variant OC after Mantic recommended it... but I MUST say that it is a good razor, but relative to the Ares, it's noticeably less efficient. It's good, not great. The other thing that annoys me about these mass market adjustables is the need to align the cap in a specific direction. As I age, I find this more and more annoying... especially if I don't bring my reading glasses into the bathroom... ugh.

I prefer to NOT lose money on razor after razor ** I hate how we can’t edit posts after a set time.
We all are different, I just look at it at it this way...
“Nothing ventured, nothing gained.”

Also some razors have truly surprised me...
The ones that go away, sure I lost a little cash.
But it like a little rental fee...and not a total loss.
All I wish is that it finds a great den and face...
And does not end up of the Island of Misfit razors!

Hope you find a great one that works best for you...
BFX

Top Bottom