What's new

What general shaving items aren't you interested in?

Not interested in the following:
Pre-shave oils/creams
Scuttles
Lather bowls (I face lather and took an old cereal bowl for the random bowl lather.)
Straight Razors, my hands shake a little due to a service related injury and I’m ugly enough without carving off stuff like my nose; lips; or ears.
Not interested in a Wolfman Razor. (It is very important for me to repeat this mantra every 30-45 minutes, in order to remain married!)
Not interested in owning any vintage Gillette Razors. But I admire them and look and handle them every chance I get. (I reserve the right to remove this one at a later date...you know it’s coming and then boom...Vintage RAD!)
Not interested in ever going back to a cart, too much irritation.
Not, I say again, NOT interested in a Wolfman Razor! (Oh boy, I hope it’s working.)
Thanks for your service!

Not really into:
- Bowl/Scuttles: I have one and that one is collecting dust.
- Blades: I tried around what works, now I have stocked on what works for me (Astra SP, Shark Chrome & Platinums). Will occasionally try something new, but no urge to.
- Pre Shaves: pointless IMO, if your soap is this bad, toss the soap.
- Aftershave Splashes: I usually only have 1 bottle of Proraso Green & Speick - does the trick, scent doesnt interfere with EdT
- Aftershave Balms/Lotions: Also usually only have 1-2 around, thats including my Bulldog face cream, which I use as a night cream.

- Straights/SEs: cool visual, but not practical day to day IMO
- anything labelled "Vintage": objectively, anything made today by an Artisan is superior, so if you are not into nostalgia like myself, there really is no point

Not really into:
- Bowl/Scuttles: I have one and that one is collecting dust.
- Blades: I tried around what works, now I have stocked on what works for me (Astra SP, Shark Chrome & Platinums). Will occasionally try something new, but no urge to.
- Pre Shaves: pointless IMO, if your soap is this bad, toss the soap.
- Aftershave Splashes: I usually only have 1 bottle of Proraso Green & Speick - does the trick, scent doesnt interfere with EdT
- Aftershave Balms/Lotions: Also usually only have 1-2 around, thats including my Bulldog face cream, which I use as a night cream.

- Straights/SEs: cool visual, but not practical day to day IMO
- anything labelled "Vintage": objectively, anything made today by an Artisan is superior, so if you are not into nostalgia like myself, there really is no point
I guess I have a hard time with the idea of lumping straights and SEs together, since they are very different, indeed. SEs are easy daily drivers, at least as simple as a DE, arguably simpler. The AC SEs have wider blades; if anything, shaving with one of these is actually simpler and quicker than using a DE.

Also, there are a lot of people who use straights on a daily basis without any problem and consider it practical. I know it might not feel practical to you. I tried it for a year (over 250 daily shaves) and decided I didn't want to continue down that road, but I switched to a disposable-blade straight (sometimes called a "shavette") and also switched to shaving four times a week instead of every day, and it is practical for me.

I guess I have a hard time with the idea of lumping straights and SEs together, since they are very different, indeed. SEs are easy daily drivers, at least as simple as a DE, arguably simpler. The AC SEs have wider blades; if anything, shaving with one of these is actually simpler and quicker than using a DE.

Also, there are a lot of people who use straights on a daily basis without any problem and consider it practical. I know it might not feel practical to you. I tried it for a year (over 250 daily shaves) and decided I didn't want to continue down that road, but I switched to a disposable-blade straight (sometimes called a "shavette") and also switched to shaving four times a week instead of every day, and it is practical for me.

Naturally the comments made by me are to my situation. As I shave head and face in the morning, I dont see the point in SE/Straights, they need more attention and more maintainance/have highter costs in blades. The risk of a cut is also higher and I dont have the time to deal with that in the morning. There is a a reason why those types of razors went out of style when the DEs came around.

In no particular order I am most definitely not interested in:

> Cartridge razors

> Canned shaving foam

> SE razors

> Collecting multiple brushes. I've got two, but only use one of them (my Muhle Silver Tip Badger). The other brush is Proraso "Professional". I wish I had never bought it, but it was a part of the "learning curve".

> Collecting multiple DE razors, trying out new ones. Got one handle, two heads (Muhle R41 / R89), perfectly happy.

> Shaving cremes in general, as I prefer hard puck soaps.

> Any shaving product (soap, A/S, pre-, post- shave) that has a overly floury, fruity, powdery or "medicinal" scent.

- SE razors
- Pre-shave oil or cream
- Canned foam/gel
- Scuttles
- Aftershaves - although my wife wants me try try them.
- I do want to try a couple of vintage SRs I have but need to send them out to get sharpened/honed by someone that does this service.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

- SE razors
- Pre-shave oil or cream
- Canned foam/gel
- Scuttles
- Aftershaves - although my wife wants me try try them.
- I do want to try a couple of vintage SRs I have but need to send them out to get sharpened/honed by someone that does this service.

Oh, I forgot to add:
- Cartridge razors
- Electric razors

Not interested in:

Straight/SE razors
Collecting vintage Gillettes
Alum blocks
Matching soap/AS sets
Shimming
Karve Shaving Co

Expensive badger brushes. Not a huge fan of badger brushes anyway, but I see some selling for more than $300 that really puzzle me.

Also, boar brushes. I still own a couple, but never use them. Synthetics are what I use and prefer.

Expensive vintage & modern razors. RR Gamechanger & Rockwell 6s are at the end of the expensive end of my spectrum.

Expensive soaps. Stirling is about as expensive as I will go.

Beard/pre-shave oil. I feel it doesn't help me all that much.

Birth Year razors, and for that matter, butterfly razors have no appeal to me whatsoever. Meh.

Scuttles. Shaving bowls are just fine.

Straight-edge razors & shavettes. Never had the desire to try any. DE's seem to be working fine,and are much better than whatever it was that I was doing before.

Cartridge razors, disposable razors & canned goo will never grace my home again, either.

Last edited:
I don't understand pre-shave anything and I was going to say what I don't understand, I'm not interested in. But I don't always understand my wife, yet I am very interested in her. :smile:

I'm really not interested in pre-shave anything.

-jim

Great thread. I’ll take a slightly different approach to it by saying:

Want to try, but interest is not overwhelming
  • Decent quality synthetic brush. I have a two band badger that does the job but I am not totally happy with it. I’d like to give a synthetic a go in future due to the consistently good reviews they get here and elsewhere.
  • Fatip or other rigid blade razor. I have a Baili 176 and an R41 and I don’t particularly like the R41 because it lacks rigidity. I’d like to graduate from the 176 to another rigid razor and people have suggested buying a Fatip.
Can’t really be bothered anymore:
  • Blades. I’ve tried a bunch and there’s only one or two that I would completely avoid in future. Scrutinising them for minute differences has became a chore, probably because they all become kind of samey after a while. I’ll go through what I have and then I’ll randomly buy some of the ones I’ve identified as being alright as my ongoing stock.
Could easily go overboard with:
  • Soaps and creams
  • Fragrances

I am not interested in items that I will not use. I have no interest in running a museum. And I have a preference for items not wildly expensive - whatever that means :).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Raymondmillbrae

Totally bogus
Not interested in horse hair or synthetic brushes.
Not interested in anything other than DE or cut-throat razors
Not interested in aftershaves (I dislike the alcohol sting)
Not interested in lather mugs without raised inner parts, or if not artistically ceramic
Not interested in scuttles
Not interested in pre-shave oils
Not interested in mixing a ga-bazillion scents on my face
Not interested in big ole fat DE razor heads
Not interested in copper, brass, gold razors (I dislike the color yellow)
Not interested in old, 1970's, barbershop-smelling lathers/balms
Not interested in watching boring people trying to make (ghetto) shaving YouTube videos
Not interested in loud/neon/psychedelic-colored brush handle materials
Not interested in any blade that is not in the top 5 for sharpness
Not interested in fancy and expensive shaving towels
Not interested in tons or razors (I have 2 restrooms, and will own 2 DE razors/brushes, and one straight edge)

Not interested in horse hair or synthetic brushes.
Not interested in anything other than DE or cut-throat razors
Not interested in aftershaves (I dislike the alcohol sting)
Not interested in lather mugs without raised inner parts, or if not artistically ceramic
Not interested in scuttles
Not interested in pre-shave oils
Not interested in mixing a ga-bazillion scents on my face
Not interested in big ole fat DE razor heads
Not interested in copper, brass, gold razors (I dislike the color yellow)
Not interested in old, 1970's, barbershop-smelling lathers/balms
Not interested in watching boring people trying to make (ghetto) shaving YouTube videos
Not interested in loud/neon/psychedelic-colored brush handle materials
Not interested in any blade that is not in the top 5 for sharpness
Not interested in fancy and expensive shaving towels
Not interested in tons or razors (I have 2 restrooms, and will own 2 DE razors/brushes, and one straight edge)

What ARE you interested in?

Top Bottom