What's new

What general shaving items aren't you interested in?

Great thread. I’ll take a slightly different approach to it by saying:

... an R41 and I don’t particularly like the R41 because it lacks rigidity.
The R41 lacks rigidity? W.T.H.? 🤷‍♂️ 🤷‍♂️

Mine feels so sturdy and tough I could go crack the walnuts with it.

Not interested in straight razors
Not interested in pre-shave products.
Not interested in modifying blades to fit a razor.

Last edited:
Not interested in non-vintage
Not interested in razors costing more than $20
Not interested in scuttles
Not interested in brushes costing more than $10
Not interested in any soap other than Williams or bath soap
Not interested in straight razors or shavettes
Not interested in aftershaves that I can’t buy at a drug store

I have no interest in collecting brushes, bowls/scuttles and using modern razors. Not into trying blades, never tried any kind of oils and probably never will unless it's free. Also not into collecting vintage DE razors, I mostly stick to SE and straights (a little).

Not interested in non-vintage
Not interested in razors costing more than $20
Not interested in scuttles
Not interested in brushes costing more than $10
Not interested in any soap other than Williams or bath soap
Not interested in straight razors or shavettes
Not interested in aftershaves that I can’t buy at a drug store

allwork.jpeg

I've noticed that the dudes against pre-shaves are also against straights. There is a correlation. Pre-shave oil took my straight razor shaves to the next level. Now I make my own. For a safety shave? Meh. For a straight/shavette shave? I'll use it every time. It'd be like shaving without water to skip it.

I have multiples of most categories. But one category I'm perfectly content having only one of? I'm actually quite proud that I haven't succumbed to BBAD. It's an ugly, terrible rabbit hole to fall into. Fraught with sharp edges & rusty corners. I have no interest in... blade banks.

Not interested in pre-shave oils.
Not interested in artisan soaps.
Not interested in post shave balms.
Not interested in straight razors.

Not interested in:
  • canned goo or any DE razor sold at a drugstore
  • knock off Chinesium razors
  • boar brushes (unless they have a particularly interesting handle that would look good with a synthetic or badger knot)
  • straights (I'm happy with the three I have being used as art)
  • anymore DE89 heads
  • any soft product with patchouli or sandalwood stank
  • vintage razors that have premium price because they come with the original case, blades, etc.
  • vintage razors requiring any repair or anything more than cleaning to look presentable
  • wait listed products (sorry, just irks me....if I want to spend my money I don't like waiting)

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
These are some of the aspects of shaving that have not interested me yet.
> not overly interested in razors that are over $100 US. =($144 Can with exchange rate)
>not that interested in Animal brushes after buying a boar brush with funk smell(I still use it occasionally-defunked)
>not interested in electric or cartridge razors.
>not interested in colognes that never stop smelling.
>not overly interested in soaps over $25 US =($36 Can with exchange rate)
>not overly interested in AC blade razors, that might change down the road.
Shaving is such a interesting hobby, I like vintage and modern razors. Shaving forums have taught me how to shave properly and keeps me entertained.
Most of my shaving equipment has been payed for because I cut my own hair and have not bought cartridge blades or canned goop for over 3 1/2 yrs.
I like variety and have a lot razors, not to many soaps and not to much aftershaves.(daily shaver)

Buying and importing USA made artisan soaps into the UK.

What gives? My experience is that they are no better or worse than any others. Only much more expensive but it seems that people are raving over them and causing a stir.

I just recently bought an Ariana and Evans soap and splash and it's so far (10 years wetshaving) been the only soap and splash that has caused an alergic reaction.

I'll continue to buy from British artisans and other manufacturers such as Proraso, TOBS etc.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Over the course of my life shaving has gone from a dreaded chore to a fascinating hobby/obsession to... well, just something I do on a daily basis. I've identified several products that work for me and I'm not feeling any need to change that up, nor do I want to spend days, weeks, or months trying to master another shaving variant.

I will note that while I still shave with DE razors and blades now and then, for the most part I've returned to cartridge shaving thanks to Bic. I guess I'd have to answer that I'm no longer interested in SE, DE, straights, shavettes, brushes, soaps, creams, bowls, scuttles, or other paraphernalia beyond what I already have and know, especially the collecting aspect of the hobby. If something interesting pops up that I think might work for me, I might try it, but for the most part I'm trying to live up to the M in my signature block.
So after writing that a while back, I'd have to modify the list of what I'm not interested in a bit:
  • Straight razors
  • Shavettes
  • Brushes (beyond the two synthetics I use regularly)
  • Soaps (beyond the ones I know and use regularly)
  • Creams (beyond the ones I know and use regularly)
  • Bowls
  • Scuttles
I recently returned to shaving with my AC Hawk, which is reminding me why I went for the whole traditional-style shaving thing in the first place and why I like SE razors so much. Based on that, I decided to spring for an injector razor as well (I've had one before, but didn't stick with it). I still have a few DEs and my cartridges (Trac II and Bic Flex 5 Hybrid). After I get a few shaves in with my injector, we'll see what I decide to keep around the house for regular shaving.

Soaps, I have enough Palmolive sticks, 70/80 to last the rest of my shaving life. Creams, I buy a barber size tube of Proraso green cream that lasts 2 to 3 years at a time. Blades I buy 100 Permasharp supers and use them until they run out.

Top Bottom