What's new

Why So Many Brushes?

When it comes to hardware and brushes I've focused on just what's needed to provide my desired range of utility. For me it's three brushes, two synthetics that I rotate so they are completely dry when used and a boar for my hardest soaps. Same for razors where my three are all I need to provide my desired range of mild to mid-range aggressiveness.

Regarding soaps an creams I've gone a bit broader with around a dozen different soaps, some custom blends and four creams that I rotate between. These are commercial products such as Mitchell's Wool Fat, Tabac, Cyril R. Salter, D.R. Harris, Proraso, Arko and Williams soaps and two creams each from Cyril R. Salter and LEA. When I've found something I like I've purchased backup stock for my hard soaps especially tallow based products like Williams and MWF. Up to just one back up for my creams as the shelf-lives are shorter. The variety from my soaps and creams makes this hobby more interesting.

I rotate among three "primary" soaps in open shaving mugs (currently Razorock What-the-Puck Black, Tabac and a custom blend) and roughly once a week use a different secondary soap or cream kept in resealable containers. When I 3017 a primary one of the secondaries takes its place.

Narrow and deep for my blades with good inventory of three brands including Dorco, Astra and Derby. Likely have soap and blades to last a decade or more.

As I browse the forums here, I often see collections or references to large numbers of brushes in people's shave dens (and I'm envious!). Sometimes the differences in the brushes are vast -- high versus low loft, wide versus narrow diameter, and stiff/scratchy material versus pliable/soft.... However, sometimes the differences are minor and nuanced (to me, at least). For example, I sometimes see a progression of brushes that look like Russian nesting dolls - each one is only slightly larger or taller than the next.

I'm curious -- and I ask with the utmost respect -- if you have an assortment like this, what led you to choose brushes that seem (again, to me) so similar? What made you seek out a loft that is just 2mm taller than the last brush you acquired? (And, once they are in your den, do you then say, "I feel like the Duke 3 tonight!" or "Given the day ahead, I need the Mondial Heritage?")

I may be naive in my question and I know it basically boils down to personal preference (bless us all!), but I look forward to reading about how and why you built your collection as you did. Thank you in advance!

Collecting shave gear is hobby, addiction, and cheaper then other hobbies.

Some people are in search of GRAIL BRUSG, others are one brush person.

In total, I've used over 120 brushes since 2008.

My highest number at any one time was in 2019, where I had about 70.

Now, I have only 6 (3 boar, 2 badger, 1 synth)!
Why? Because I became very particular with what I like and what works best for me.

I went off synth for the most part as dislike the cotton ball softness. My one synth is an old v1 STF which actually feels & behaves very much like a badger brush!

(I went down the same path with razors, now only having the blackbird and progress, with BIC CP being my blade of choice)

I've ridden the hobby wave but now feel very content with what I've settled on.

Top Bottom