What's new

What did you learn from your last shave?

I learned that you shouldn't just blindly listen to reviews. It's always a YMMV kinda thing.
I picked up a puck of Littlefoot's Pure Pine soap, then read a bunch of reviews on it, and I almost just threw it out, but frankly I far too cheap to do that. So I lathered it up this morning and I have no idea of what everyone was hating on. I got a rich, cushiony, protective lather. And enough of it to make 6 passes.

Taking your time with new variables is important. 2 shaves with a Tech and feather in the course of 4 days. I can't stress how different the experiences were.

I learned that my Futur is still too aggressive for me even on one. Went back to my slim and getting better shaves.

I tried my first full straight shave today. I learned that I have a lot to learn about using my left hand and about maneuvering around my chin and throat.

I went slowly and did OK with just a couple of weepers.

Had to cleanup/finish off with my trusty 1940's Super Speed.

Be sure to get that last 1/4 turn in on a Gillette Adjustable so that you don't mess up your face. I learned that hard way.

With the exact same lather, razor, and blade, I can get substantial differences simply by varying the direction in a 2-pass shave. Gillette slides, diagonal passes for Pass #2 in different directions, trying WTG x 2, . . . I could spend months just varying what I do.

Not all gillette blades are created equal. Going forward I'm going to pass on Chinese Gillette Super Blue blades. Tugs. Could not finish the first pass.

A Gillette Open Comb NEW paired with a Feather is an INCREDIBLE combination and to think that my razor was made in 1938... It's sad that most of the world is missing out on such a great experience/result and are getting sucked into things like that Flex ball...

1. A silvertip brush (Vie-Long Beehive Silvertip Badger) is making a significant difference the quality and overall feel of my daily shaves.
2. Comparing all the razors I've owned/used, none shave as comfortably or as efficiently as my 1973 Gillette Tech.
3. Made the realization that Astra SP blades, loaded in my Tech, work best for me.

That Gillette Super Thins only last about 3 shaves for me and it is time to try another of the "never ending" sample pack blades :lol:

That I will always have to shave. Therefore it must be done well and appropriately.
Proper equipment, technique, and time will assure the best outcome every time.
Nothing more, nothing less.

That shimming a Gillette old type was a bad idea, or either I wasn't paying as much attention as I should have been with a first shave with that razor shimmed.

That no matter how many times I try Gillette Silver Blues I can't get them to work for me. Going to stick to my Personna blues.

That you can get a better shave by soaping up your beard in the shower or applying proto lather to soften your beard while you prep.

Top Bottom