What's new

What did you learn from your last shave?

My best shave yet. Why? Great product, Geo. F. Trumper's Rose cream, and I wasn't stingy. Late at night, quiet, relaxed, good prep. Second shave with a Wilkinson blade. Two full passes, assessing grain between passes. Didn't shave over lather-less parts. Let the weight of the Fatboy do the work. Remembered that I was shaving my whiskers, not my face.

Sometimes stopping at two passes and having a SAS/CCS is better then going for a DFS or BBS shave when your tired and want to go to sleep.

Today's shave taught me that no matter how much I like the T&H Authentic No. 10 Lather, the scent just is not for me.

I learned that I need to buy more lime-scented products. (Used Godrej Lime today, followed by Lime Sec)

Lather doesn't have to have the consistency of whip cream or meringue to be slick and effective. I did a Frankenlather of Yeti Snot and CO Bigelow. I got a thick, soupy mess, that was the consistency of snot mixed with glue... It was slick and wonderfully freezing. It ended up being one of my best shaves ever. Especially on an 80 degree night.

Second shave with Stirling Texas on Fire. First shave was mediocre, because I didn't press the soap into the tin. It slid around as I loaded the brush, so I didn't get a lot of product on the brush.

I pressed the soap into the tin, so that it covered the entire bottom. I used a wrung brush to load the soap, and got a fair amount of product. The results were significantly better!

Second shave with Stirling Texas on Fire. First shave was mediocre, because I didn't press the soap into the tin. It slid around as I loaded the brush, so I didn't get a lot of product on the brush.

I pressed the soap into the tin, so that it covered the entire bottom. I used a wrung brush to load the soap, and got a fair amount of product. The results were significantly better!

How do you like the scent?

I like to skip shaving with my R41's for a few weeks. When I revisit them my appreciation is amplified once again. They leave my facing feeling incredible smooth for hours on end. None of my other aggressive razors leaves me with quite the same facial sensation. Thanks to a post by Aimsport I discovered that Dorco blades and a steep shaving angle give incredible results in a R41.

How do you like the scent?

I love it. When you get the raw soap, the smoke is the strongest scent. Once you lather it up, the smoke drops back in the profile, and you get nice notes of cedar and leather, with a touch of smoke.

I used it with a homemade pre-shaved oil (extra-virgin olive oil and Texas cedar wood oil), and the experience was awesome.

Top Bottom