What's new

Watch out on eBay...

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
"in God we trust, all others pay cash"

I felt bad for a guy on eBay that bought a Fatboy with the dial on the wrong end for a song. The seller somehow figured out $20 or whatever was too cheap, and cancelled the sale. I figure buyer beware. And seller be ethical. The free market system is an incredible educator sometimes.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
"in God we trust, all others pay cash"

I felt bad for a guy on eBay that bought a Fatboy with the dial on the wrong end for a song. The seller somehow figured out $20 or whatever was too cheap, and cancelled the sale. I figure buyer beware. And seller be ethical. The free market system is an incredible educator sometimes.

Ah yes, those defective ones with the dial on the bottom. As a public service, I am sponsoring a recall of that entire run, and I will on behalf of the company refund the original $1.95 purchase price, and then dispose of the incorrectly assembled razors safely. Because I care.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Ah yes, those defective ones with the dial on the bottom. As a public service, I am sponsoring a recall of that entire run, and I will on behalf of the company refund the original $1.95 purchase price, and then dispose of the incorrectly assembled razors safely. Because I care.
Could I propose a business idea I have.....?

I'll do you one better Slash, I care so much I'll throw in free shipping along with the $1.95

Some were wondering what type of person would take advantage of buyers. Well here he is, from Slovenia. He is selling this "monkey tail" razor for about $230. I believe it is a Gold Dollar or similar Chinese variant. He sells Gold Dollars for the same price. Not this video, but on another one he gives himself a nice cut.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Some were wondering what type of person would take advantage of buyers. Well here he is, from Slovenia. He is selling this "monkey tail" razor for about $230. I believe it is a Gold Dollar or similar Chinese variant. He sells Gold Dollars for the same price. Not this video, but on another one he gives himself a nice cut.

It is a Gold Dollar Model 92 as I recall but very similar to one of the "W" models. Yeah he works out of Slovenia but I believe he is British.

Okay, maybe there is some use for these wretched razors - like scoring bread. But a starting bid of $90 for this one? It's being sold as The Celebrated Joseph Elliot's Best Silver Steel. $90, really?

s-l1600.jpg

You see those a lot. The speculation is that they have been modified for bakers to score bread dough. They have to be for some purpose other than shaving, you see too many of them.
No!
Their only purpose is to make money for the sellers, who are scam artists...or incredibly naïve.
They are essentially scrap metal.
If they have any value, it is in their scales, precious adornments, or box - if there is one.
Bakers score bread with knives. They don't need straight razors...especially not that one!

A few months ago I read an otherwise informative article on historic straight razors. But at least twice during the article the author made the statement that “straight razor collectors are all really straight razor scales collectors and the brand, shape, and condition of the blade itself is meaningless”. Since I have the complete opposite view (quite happy to buy a vintage straight with a decent blade that I can make shave ready if it comes with busted scales that I can replace) I thought that this was a bit mystifying. My final take-away was “I hope this is true, if so it may minimize the number of bidding wars I get into on eBay!”

I’ve only fallen down the rabbit hole in the past year, so no idea what truth there is to the author’s statements. But certainly on eBay there is a lot of asymmetrical knowledge. Sometimes that means you have ridiculous asking prices for razors and sometimes it means that you can get a great deal on something whose value is not appreciated by the seller. Caveat emptor!

No!
Their only purpose is to make money for the sellers, who are scam artists...or incredibly naïve.
They are essentially scrap metal.
If they have any value, it is in their scales, precious adornments, or box - if there is one.
Bakers score bread with knives. They don't need straight razors...especially not that one!

Having gotten into sourdough baking the past year... actually some bakers do use razors to score bread :) - its called a lame, usually a handle with a disposable SE or DE blade set with the edge parallel to the handle (similar to a Japanese kamisori). And yes it really does make a difference. I usually get by with a knife (a Japanese blue #2 petty which has an edge as close to a straight razor as I can manage) but you do really want true razor sharpness when scoring a loaf of sourdough.

Top Bottom